spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Arcticboy

@distributel.net

Distributel Review

I ordered the 15mbps DSL service on moving to Burlington as well as the home phone service. The home phone service was set up wrong for the first month and I couldn't make any calls outside the local area. However, even after that was fixed by them, the quality of the phone was terrible, most likely due to the poor internet service. Although the internet service was initially near the promised speed, within a couple of weeks it dropped to a speed of 4mbps download and only 0.15 mbps upload. After spending a month on and off on the phone with technical support and making all kinds of changes including changing the modem, having bell service come out, changing cables, etc etc (all in all probably at least 5 hours spent on the phone with them) I eventually decided to give up on them and asked to cancel the service. I also asked them to refund me the phone charges (the phone was so bad that I have not been able to use a phone modem I need for work with it, which was the main reason I got
the phone line), the installation charges, and the difference between the price of their 6mbps service and the 15mbps I was charged for. Incredibly, they refused to refund any of these with the exception of the phone charges for the first month. The "senior associate" I spoke with had the nerves to tell me that the service says "up to" 15mbps, so they cannot guarantee anything and won't refund any part of the charges. Can you believe the nerves? All I asked for was to have the charges reduced to the service level that is still above what I got, and he would not budge. So, I gave up on him and instead have called my credit card company and asked them to refund the charges as I don't believe I got the service I paid for. I will not be trying or recommending Distributel again.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
It's Bell, they moved you from a remote to a CO further from home.
Changing wires, etc is not going fix the problem. If you switched to Teksavvy for example, the same thing might happen, but at least they'll go to bat for you.

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Arcticboy
said by Arcticboy :

the phone was so bad that I have not been able to use a phone modem I need for work with it, which was the main reason I got
the phone line

I'm confused about something here. You got phone service from Distributel which I beieve is VOIP based. You then try to use a modem across a VOIP based line and expect it to work?

While there do appear to be standard in place for it, I've never seen mention of consumer equipment that supports it.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It's Bell, they moved you from a remote to a CO further from home.
Changing wires, etc is not going fix the problem. If you switched to Teksavvy for example, the same thing might happen, but at least they'll go to bat for you.

Anything higher than 6 is now is FTTN and you for certain will be put a on remote. The only situation for FTTN plan going off a CO is if you're really close to it, under 1Km,or even shorter I believe.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to Arcticboy
said by Arcticboy :

I also asked them to refund me the phone charges (the phone was so bad that I have not been able to use a phone modem I need for work with it, which was the main reason I got the phone line)

A phone modem is not very likely to work over VoIP. To get that to work you'd need a real phone line - and even then, more and more of the core transport in the network is VoIP based, meaning over time, that will likely stop working.

Not defending Distributel here - it sounds like the whole thing was mishandled on all of the other customer service issues.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net