how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sd2hd

join:2007-11-20
Cape May, NJ

[CDV] v-mail stutter notification: phone or modem

I had assumed that the stutter dial tone sound that you hear when you have a voicemail is generated by the Comcast modem, and has nothing to do with the phone plugged into the unit. But a CSR last night told me the phone has to support it, and it is the phone that generates the stutter. I assumed he had no idea what he was talking about, but I thought I would confirm that here.

drh
Premium
join:2008-10-20
Olympia, WA

I think it is kind of both ways. There is a signal on the line that tells the phone that there is a voicemail and then the phone makes the sound. At one point I had an old multi line biz phone (forget the made/model now) but it had a big bright red light on it. I had it in the garage so as I drove in I would know before I got into the house I had a voicemail. Same idea, the phone knows to light any indicator light same as to do the stutter tone. My current cordless phone setup... Panasonic I think, has an indicator light on the handsets that flash when there is an unheard voicemail.

sd2hd

join:2007-11-20
Cape May, NJ

I get that the phone needs to support the 'light' feature for that to work, but I thought the stutter sound would work on any phone

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to sd2hd

the stutter will work on any touch tone phone.
--
I'm better than you!