spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Peter

@bethere.co.uk

[Help Me] DIR-655NA Firmware Help

I have a D-Link DIR-655 the version is a b1 NA (North America) hard ware.
It was shipped with the original firmware v2.0 I flashed it with DIR655_revB_FW_210
Worked fine, I did try to flash the E one DIR655B1_FW205B06, but it won’t even load it for flashing, any ideas how to get an E firmware to flash or is it hardware and that’s it.
Many thanks

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
What do you mean by "E" one? Europe? If so EU versions of FW are not supported on NA units. Differences in code and features.
For doing FW updates, follow this:
FW Update Process

Peter

@bethere.co.uk
Hi
Many thanks for the reply very much appreciated, the main reason is the number of wireless channels are limited in NA version, my only hope I guess is if there is a hacked version that will flash on the NA version.
By the way you are correct EU is what I attempted to use.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
The reason their are different hardware versions is because there are subtle, but very real, difference in Wifi standards in different parts of the world. IE NA is more severe in how they implement the "Good neibor" policy and transmit power. So if you live in Europe, then you want the EU version. You might be able to find a EU firmware that is hacked enough to flash, but at best it will be buggy, at worst it might brick your router.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Peter
Where did you get a NA hardware unit in the EU? I would recommend that you return it if you can and get a EU hardware unit to go with EU Firmware.

Peter

@bethere.co.uk
said by BimmerE38FN:

Where did you get a NA hardware unit in the EU? I would recommend that you return it if you can and get a EU hardware unit to go with EU Firmware.

First guess “yes your right eBay” it was brand new & the guy thought he was selling me a duff but it works a treat, I don’t think he new what he had to be honest, he probably thought it was an ADSL router with a modem built in.
The strange thing is I have an old version of the 655 hardware version A2 again NA (54m wireless) but that covers all the EU channels, there is also a Russian firmware which allows you to flash back to an early firmware.
Thanks for all your help much apreshiated

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Peter
Good Luck.

brunetu

join:2013-03-01
hello can you send me please dir-655 ver 2.02AX firmware ? tnx (brunetu@gmail.com)

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
What region are you located?

brunetu

i have dir-655 rev b froum us.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to Peter
What region are you located?

Rev B FW does not work or is supported on Rev A routers. Your 2.02AX is not a valid FW version for the NA region.

Please verify your DIR-655 hardware and FW version. There is a sticker under the router, and should say Rev A# or B#. Post your findings and your region location please.

If you are located in the NA region then use the dlink.com web site to get NA region FW. Both Rev A and B versions of FW are located here.

If you are located in a different region, i.e. EU or Asia, Please use the location selection on dlinks web site to take you to that region for FW support and downloads for the DIR-655.

For doing FW updates, follow this:
FW Update Process

brunetu

I need that vers »DIR-655, Hw Version B1

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Peter
If your are located in the U.S. then you can get Rev B FW at dlink.com. For EU units, get it at »www.dlink.com/uk/en

Please use the Firmware Process link to help you upgrade the FW.

brunetu

i got the last vers from us. but beat only 3-4 meters

Peter

@bethere.co.uk
reply to BimmerE38FN
Many thanks for the feed back and replies, OK, I'm in the UK so it would normally be the EU firmware but the router one of the D-Link DIR-665 is NA version on the label is:
H/W Ver :B1 F/W2.00NA I flashed it with DIR655_revB_FW_210, taken from the states website, now you can flash it back to shipping firmware 2.00NA I tried it and it worked.
The later models eg B1 use the above firmware’s but an early DIR-665 I have here is Ver: A3 and is flashed with dir655_firmware_132NA and has all 13 channels.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
said by Peter :

Many thanks for the feed back and replies, OK, I'm in the UK so it would normally be the EU firmware but the router one of the D-Link DIR-665 is NA version on the label is:
H/W Ver :B1 F/W2.00NA I flashed it with DIR655_revB_FW_210, taken from the states website, now you can flash it back to shipping firmware 2.00NA I tried it and it worked.
The later models eg B1 use the above firmware’s but an early DIR-665 I have here is Ver: A3 and is flashed with dir655_firmware_132NA and has all 13 channels.

I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time back that DLink was starting to use crippled chips in some NA hardware to limit channels or that there where some radios that only supported NA channels. This would mean that firmware alone wouldn't do the trick and that firmware may detect the crippled hardware. This technique was used by Intel the physical difference between a 486DX and 486SX was a pin.

Guess I just dated myself lol
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.09NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G
(Counting down to DUMP CLEAR ~ June)

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Peter

Peter

@bethere.co.uk
reply to PamelaTS
Hello Pamela many thanks for the info, that is a possibility it may even just be a link, unless someone has spent some time researching it I guess I will never know as D-link technical will not talk to anyone outside of NA region.
It may be the sort of knowledge that gets you killed!

sweden

join:2008-09-09
Sweden
reply to Peter
I have used both firmwares for europe and north america on my 655 A4, no problem.. using a firmware from dlink russia now.

»ftp.dlink.ru/
--
My Dlink DIR-655 is moded with an 80mm fan on the top and some heatsinks inside

Peter

@bethere.co.uk
said by sweden:

I have used both firmwares for europe and north america on my 655 A4, no problem.. using a firmware from dlink russia now.

»ftp.dlink.ru/

Many thanks for the link i had a play with my A3-NA and indeed they work fine, but the B1-NA will not have any of the firmwares it needs a modified firmware in order for me to flash the Russian or Europe ones.