spc
Search similar:

uniqs
angstrom60
join:2004-10-05
Charlottesville, VA

angstrom60

[Caps] New Blast! Data Cap?

So, far from conclusive, but I noticed something interesting on my Xfinity account page today:

The progress bar shown there used to indicate how much of my monthly allotment of 250GB I'd used up. But now, oddly, the bar seems to be indicating a much larger allotment. If I had to guess based on how much I've used, I'd say 500GB.

Could this be my new monthly data cap?

This is on Blast service in Central Virginia, FWIW.

dhlee528
@LMNARCHITECTS.COM

dhlee528

Anon

I see this statement from your screen capture

Note: enforcement of the 250gb data consumption threshold is currently suspended

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to angstrom60

to angstrom60
The progress bar has no end, it will keep going up as much as you use data. As stated above, it's not currently enforced.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to angstrom60

MVM

to angstrom60
My guess would be no, since you can still clearly see the suspension of the 250gb data consumption disclaimer.

I am sure that whenever Comcast resumes data caps in your area, it will be announced (through Comcast email).

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

My guess would be no, since you can still clearly see the suspension of the 250gb data consumption disclaimer.

I am sure that whenever Comcast resumes data caps in your area, it will be announced (through Comcast email).

Yep and more than likely a hot topic here.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by jaynick:

Yep and more than likely a hot topic here.

'Ya think?

I get it, but too many folks are looking for "signs" or getting riled up over rumors.

Whatever Comcast decides, I am pretty sure that they'll let us know. Plenty of time to comment on it when something actually happens.

The longer that they don't get around to settling on new caps the better...
angstrom60
Charlottesville, VA

angstrom60

I was in a hurry when I started this thread, apologies.

Yes, I clearly see that my current cap is suspended and did not mean to ask if I had been put under a new cap silently.

What I was doing was speculating that perhaps the Xfinity account page was being prepared for an upcoming announcement and that the progress bar widget might have been modified in advance of that with the appropriate value.

That was it. It was meant to be a fun post, not a pronouncement of truth. So please, everyone scolding me for jumping the gun just calm down, okay?

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

No need to 'pologise. We were not scolding you.

The data cap is just a confusing mess because we still have the meter, even though it's not enforced. I guess it's Comcast's way to try to educate us on our usage.

I have a feeling the data cap may just go away when DOCSIS 3.1 comes, which has better traffic management. "DOCSIS 3.1 uses a new forward error correction (FEC) scheme, Low Density Parity Check (LDPC). That will let MSOs move to higher-order modulations, from 256-QAM today to up to 4096-QAM or even beyond, according to Schmitt. The advantage: 4096-QAM is 50% more efficient than 256-QAM."

»www.multichannel.com/cab ··· s/139883
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

1 edit

videomatic3 to angstrom60

to angstrom60
when will people start seeing that the cap is suspended
unlimited data use the **** out of it
»videomatic3.diskstation. ··· aps2.jpg
my cap appears to be 4 terabytes i guess because the white bar isnt filled up
/troll
angstrom60
Charlottesville, VA

angstrom60 to Ultibeam

to Ultibeam
I'd love to believe that, but until the cable companies find some way to monetize their Internet business sufficiently to offset falling television revenue, I can't see them giving up on caps as a tool to dissuade cable-cutting.

Over time though? Yeah.