Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

Cannot Get Rid of This...

Click for full size
In System Preferences, under Desktop & Screen Saver, I cannot seem to get rid of a folder in the list that has been removed a long time ago (+2 years). I have asked a Genius at two Apple Stores, Googled, read Apple Discussions, and even dove into my Preferences Folder to get rid traces of the folder mentioned, and to no avail.

Any of you Mac gurus care to take a crack at this? I can delete it by clicking on the (-) sign or pressing Delete, but it comes back. I did try by recreating the folder, then deleting it in the Desktop & Screen Saver Preferences, and then deleting the folder in the Finder. Still no avail.

Thanks.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
You could try making an admin account, log out of your account, go into admin account, your personal user account, and delete it from there.

»macs.about.com/od/switchersnewus···acct.htm

Make sure to remove admin account afterwards.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to Sebehk
I had the same problem a few months ago. I ended up deleting a plist file.

I'm trying to remember but I believe the file was com.apple.desktop.plist. It can be found at ~/Library/Preferences.

You can try renaming the file and then restarting your computer the file will be rebuilt with the default settings. Just a warning you will lose any desktop customizations as they will go back to the defaults.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
It seems that I have looked at every plist file EXCEPT the com.apple.desktop.plist.

I looked through it and saw all of the references to that phantom folder. Deleted them, but just kept coming back.

Did the last resort: delete and reboot. It worked.

Thanks for your help.

MODS: Lock 'er up.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.