Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

[WIN7] Batch rename of files

So I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask but why not.

I am looking to rename files in bulk. What I'd like to do is take input from a text file, then use that to rename files in a folder. Each file name is different obviously, and in some instances there may be multiples of the same name so it would some how need to recognize this, and append at the end of the file name some thing like how windows currently does, I.e. filename (1).xyz, filename (2).xyz, etc.

Does anyone know how to perhaps code something like this in windows 7? I have very limited programming skills (pretty much non existent).
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I sometmes use a method like this in re-naming a group of photo files. If I'm talking about 20 files from "Aunt Annies" birthday party I just select them in Windows Explorer and right click/left click on rename. I then fill in the re-name box with "AuntAnniesBirthday". When I hit enter it renames them. It starts with the first file (ie "AuntAnnies1) and then "AuntAnnies2) etc.

Paul

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

That's essentially what I currently do, but with as many files as I have and many are simply unique, doing it that way is seriously time consuming.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Hahausuck

I haven't used this in years, but give Flexible Renamer a look. I want to say that I used it to rename my MP3s in a specific format, i.e. Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Name.

I have ACDSee that also has a rename function.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

thephantom

join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA
reply to Hahausuck

I use FileMenu Tools from lopesoft (»www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html)
One of the very useful tools in there is the Advanced Renamer. It is amazingly useful and gives you a very wide range of possibilities. It may take a little effort to learn what you can do with it, but I have found it to be a very effective way to rename a mass of files into just about any scheme you want. Plus there are many other tools which come with it, advanced renamer is just one.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Hahausuck

You have not given enough details about the task but enough to know you need a flexible renamer.

This is the best File renamer on the market but it in not freeware
Flash Renamer
»www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp

Here is a link to many freeware renamers
»www.google.com/search?q=file+ren···&bih=958

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Hahausuck

As for renaming from a list, i have done thisw before but the issues is that you must know the order of the files to be renamed, and the list must match. So i had the files start with numbers and then renamed with a batch file and a list of file names.

Here is the bat file, you can edit it as needed.

Rem This file works to rename a List of MP3 files. You need a file list.txt
Rem in that file you need the following tokens
Rem current file name without spaces
Rem then the new file name with spaces
Rem example below
Rem 1991_001 Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
Rem
Rem so the file name was 1991_001.mp3 and got renamed to 1991_001 - Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
Rem
for /F "usebackq tokens=1,2,*" %%i in (list.txt) do rename %%i.mp3 "%%i - %%j %%k.mp3"

Here is a sample of the list

1991_001 - Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
1991_002 - Michael Jackson - Black Or White
1991_003 - Paula Abdul - Rush Rush
1991_004 - Mariah Carey - Emotions
1991_005 - C & C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat
1991_006 - Surface - The First Time
1991_007 - Mariah Carey - I Don't Wanna Cry
1991_008 - Madonna - Justify My Love
1991_009 - Amy Grant - Baby Baby
1991_010 - Prince - Cream
1991_011 - Whitney Houston - All The Man That I Need