spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Red_Weasel
join:2008-05-04
Belen, NM

Red_Weasel

Which modem do you have?

Went to our local Comcast store today to switch out our old modem for one that was D3 compatible. We were given the Xfinity Wireless Gateway (Technicolor TM8305C)....we have the Triple Play package and I was assured by the CS rep that this new wireless gateway modem/router will work with everything we have, including digital voice.

Only this that isn't working is our phone. Got on the phone with tech support and they told us because it's an "IMS only" device, it won't work with the phones...whereas the office people told me over and over that it is a phone modem....anybody else have this modem that can tell me if there is a yellow sticker on the back that says "IMS Only"?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

That device is not listed on the official »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ site. The only Technicolor device shown there is the TC8305C (but FWIW it does show as an IMS device in that list).

I am surprised that a Comcast store would supply you with a Technicolor TM8305C if it is not an officially approved device (I am not however surprised that a Comcast salesperson or CSR would supply bad information).

If calling support multiple times (sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find the right person) yields no solution, you may want to post in the »Comcast Direct forum; I have had multiple problems solved there that were "going nowhere" using normal support calls.

Red_Weasel
Belen, NM

Red_Weasel

I would trust our local office ladies they are payment/sell/switch equipment type office. These ladies have been in this office for years they know me by name when I walk in before I give them my name or phone #. They seem to know there stuff about equipment and services, they have never tried to upsell me in fact every time I go in to make a payment they see where they can find me a discount or if I qualify for a special comcast is having. So I dont think they would purposely give me a modem that wouldn't work.

Now when I called the comcast 800# I got someone who could hardly speak english she from what I could understand told me I would need to call a different activation line to reactivate my phone.

I called that # got a man who also couldn't speak english who told me he was tech support but would try and help me but he was sure I had the wrong modem, but he then gave me another # to try and activate it. Called it and yet another person who spoke poor english worse than the first two....at this point I was beyond irritated for getting the run around so I just hung up knowing I wasn't going to get anywhere with this 3rd person.

My husband gets online with comcast chat tech and that chat tech tells him he needs to call and activate or get a new modem as the one we have seems to not be working right.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to Red_Weasel

Premium Member

to Red_Weasel
There's not even one Google result (besides this thread) for "Technicolor TM8305C" Are you sure that's the right model number?

Red_Weasel
Belen, NM

Red_Weasel

What is the difference between a "CMS" & "IMS" accounts?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Red_Weasel:

What is the context of your question?

With regard to your original question involving an IMS modem, NCS and IMS are two different methods for handling VoIP calls (with IMS being the more advanced method). I don't know the context of your "CMS" reference (and in general usage, there are hundreds of possibilities for that particular acronym).

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Red_Weasel

Premium Member

to Red_Weasel
Post on the Comcast Direct, they may just convert your account to the IMS or swap out your modem.

But that is correct about the Technicolor TM8305C it is IMS only device.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr
said by nysports4evr:

There's not even one Google result (besides this thread) for "Technicolor TM8305C" Are you sure that's the right model number?

Technicolor TC8305C is the correct make / model for the gateway.
ironweasel

ironweasel to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by Red_Weasel:

What is the context of your question?

With regard to your original question involving an IMS modem, NCS and IMS are two different methods for handling VoIP calls (with IMS being the more advanced method). I don't know the context of your "CMS" reference (and in general usage, there are hundreds of possibilities for that particular acronym).

To expand on what my wife posted earlier today...

We had an old Arris TM402G eMTA that was having some...issues....so we went to the local service center which is still another town over. Anyway, we asked for a TM722G or one of the new 800 series Arris eMTA's and were told our options were either a TM602G or the new Xfinity Wireless Gateways which are Technicolor TC8305C MTA's. We opted for the TC8305C since it's DOCSIS 3 compliant.

Got it home, hooked it up, called the 800 number to have the device provisioned and then went about out merry way. Several minutes later we noticed that the Tel1 light was blinking and that we didn't have any phone service. Called up Comcast again and the tech told us that we would have to call a separate number to have the phone portion of the MTA activated. Called the number and heard a message that said "Please call back during business hours. Goodbye" and then disconnected. Waited about 30 mintues and tried using online chat.

After roughly 20 minutes of "troubleshooting" the CS rep tells me that our account is setup for "CMS" but the TC8305C is an IMS only device and that their system won't allow them to activate the phone port on the MTA. Thought that was a little odd and something I've never heard of, but we rolled with it until this morning. Figuring I just got someone last night who wasn't sure what was going on, my wife called the activation number and spoke with someone. The end result was the same.....they were unable to activate the phone portion because we're on a "CMS account" and the MTA only does IMS.