uniqs

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

[HN7000S] SatMex 8 launch

At this time, the launch of SatMex 8 is on for 3:07PM EDT tomorrow, March 26th.

This is the long-delayed replacement for the failing SatMex 5. As such, it is very important for Hughes 7000 customers south of the border, including those who travel south with mobile units.

billekrub
@verizon.net

billekrub

Anon

Thanks for the heads up. Have been using SM5 for 4 summers. I guess Gen4 is too shaky to consider right now. Had you considered it?

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel to dbirdman

Premium Member

to dbirdman
I've always been on SatMex 5. I currently have a 7000S. What does this mean for me here in northern California, if anything, at the present time? I guess at some point we'll be transferred to a new satellite. Do you suppose this will be very soon?

Thanks in advance!
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to dbirdman

Premium Member

to dbirdman
The 7000S is an expensive system for HughesNet to offer. I am truly surprised they haven't given it the axe yet.
seeya
Premium Member
join:2007-06-02
Pahrump, NV

1 recommendation

seeya to Just Rachel

Premium Member

to Just Rachel
On last report the launch of SM8 was successful. It is now in geosynchronous orbit, and separated from the Breeze M booster. At last report SM5 was projected to have fuel to last until October, so I would guess that they will have time to go through normal testing and commissioning of SM8, which might take a month or so. Good idea to keep the 7000S powered up as much as possible around changeover time so it will pick up the new SM8 parameters. Other than that it should be seamless.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to billekrub

MVM

to billekrub
said by billekrub :

Thanks for the heads up. Have been using SM5 for 4 summers. I guess Gen4 is too shaky to consider right now. Had you considered it?

Gen4 cannot be considered for a mobile user, which is the only interest I have. Neither can the 9000 be considered.
dbirdman

dbirdman to silbaco

MVM

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

The 7000S is an expensive system for HughesNet to offer. I am truly surprised they haven't given it the axe yet.

You appear not to understand that there are a number of customers, including government, business, and consumer, who MUST have CONUS service, which cannot be easily/economically (those words chosen knowingly) provided by a spot-beamed service. The 7000 service will continue to shrink, and will probably get dumped to a sub-contractor (rumored to be happening now), but the axe is extremely unlikely.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Yes, but they have specialized business solutions for that. There is absolutely no need for Hughes to continue to offer 7000S to residential users when they have their own high capacity satellites. They would have a much higher profit margin.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by silbaco:

Yes, but they have specialized business solutions for that. There is absolutely no need for Hughes to continue to offer 7000S to residential users when they have their own high capacity satellites. They would have a much higher profit margin.

You are making an assumption that I think is faulty, which ruins your conclusion. You are assuming that a 7000 user they cut off from 7000 service is automatically going to use their higher-profit service. If the assumption fails, they lose the low profit, and never get the high profit. As a merchant, that concept makes me cringe. If I followed your ideas, I would remove all low-profit items from my inventory if they have a high-profit alternative. Customer's preference be dam**d. I would have to watch their backs as they disappeared.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I don't disagree with you. I too don't like forced migration and the high-profit mentality. But that is the mentality that HughesNet operates on. That is why I am surprised they haven't forced users off yet. In my opinion, when they cut the FAP-Free time on Gen4 they announced they have absolutely no care in the world for what customers want. Then when they decided to charge $9 for 1GB tokens, that was their biggest attempt to screw over customers. You could buy a 1GB flashdrive for less.