uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

1 edit

[Poll] iPhone battery issues, post 6.1.3 update

My (ultra low tech) daughter complained that since her last update, her battery drains much faster than it used to. She could typically make it through the day without recharging, but no longer.
As I feel similarly (»Re: [SU] iOS 6.1.3 is out), I figured I'd ask...

Poll
IF YOU UPDATED to iOS 6.1.3 does your battery seem to drain faster?

Yes (iPhone 4 or older)

No (iPhone 4 or older)

Yes (iPhone 4S)

No (iPhone 4s)

Yes (iPhone 5)

No (iPhone 5)

Not sure

Votes:44

haroldo

united state

apparently this is now news »www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/n···chandate
Real dumb question...it's not possible to downgrade to 6.1.2, is it?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by haroldo:

Real dumb question...it's not possible to downgrade to 6.1.2, is it?

Nope, unless Apple is still signing it... There used to be some overlap between iOS releases where you could downgrade, but i dont know if its passed or Apple doesnt do that anymore...

I wish someone would challenge Apple on this... They introduce a significant bug, and the user cannot downgrade? Same for apps, can't downgrade if there is a bug (unless you sync to iTunes and save the previous version IPA's).
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

I leave my phone in standby mode and I can go four days or so before hitting 60%. The other day, I went to use the phone and it was completely drained. It would not even turn on. Now 2 days after the full charge, I am down to 63% from the usual 89%.

The iPad is where I am really seeing the drain. After 15 minutes, I am down to 85%. It drains so fast that I leave it plugged in while I use it. I have also noticed that it takes longer to charge than before.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

I've noticed quick battery drains of late. I had to replace my phone last month and thought the replacement was the problem. Not the case because the Apple store begrudgingly replaced the replacement phone (because I'm such a good customer) and this one does the same thing. I even went as far as to restore as new with no improvement either. 3 phones later and everything that I can do on my end, my solution is to deal with it by putting it on the charger a little more often than usual and life goes on ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to HiVolt

said by haroldo:

apparently this is now news

And it has been for every iOS release since 4.0. Every. Single. Incremental. Release. Whether or not it's true, the IT press and blogs are apparently getting many clicks by writing headlines relating to iOS battery drain.
said by HiVolt:

I wish someone would challenge Apple on this... They introduce a significant bug, and the user cannot downgrade?

I'm hardly an Apple sympathizer but seriously, they have never forced an update. They're always optional. And it's always suggested to wait a few days to see how the update is working out for others before taking the plunge.
said by HiVolt:

Same for apps, can't downgrade if there is a bug.

This is the industry standard: neither Android nor Blackberry facilitate app downgrades.

teach
Premium
join:2000-09-21
Denver, CO
reply to haroldo

wish I had waited a little longer to update because the drain is "in your face" leakage. turn on location services and the drain is close to watching a stop watch. okay, over the top but...
--
The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.P. G. Wodehouse

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to pike

They may not force you to upgrade, but if you are concerned about securing your device with what was supposed to be a fix for the lockscreen bug, and boom you get a battery drain bug as a present, because a 100 billion dollar company can't do proper testing? man...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
reply to haroldo

I've never been impressed with the battery life of iPhone 5. I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse and I just didn't notice.

haroldo

united state

said by Black_Mage:

I've never been impressed with the battery life of iPhone 5....

A few tips that could help battery life
turn off WiFi if you're going to be in a non-WiFi are for an extended period of time, it drains the battery looking for a signal.
turn down screen brightness
make sure you quit GPS apps when not in use
if you don't use Bluetooth devices, turn it off

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to haroldo

My Sprint phone chews battery with a big dog thanks to poor tower coverage. 6.1.3 doesn't seem to be doing any worse.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

Interesting that, according to your informal poll, this seems to be more common with older iPhones. Don't newer iPhones have a heftier battery? Or maybe older phones that are still using the original battery might be more likely to have noticeable drainage.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

It's probably that its an older phone and after time it doesn't hold a charge like it did new, or something else
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to teach

said by teach:

wish I had waited a little longer to update because the drain is "in your face" leakage. turn on location services and the drain is close to watching a stop watch. okay, over the top but...

I just saw my battery level drop from 79% to 69% right before my eyes.