spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to NBomb

to NBomb

Re: MODEM - Options

said by NBomb:

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

1 edit

urbang33k

said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

Is there any way to know (without having a modem) what kind of stinger/remote/etc I'd be put on?

You won't know for sure until the service is hooked up unless your area has been upgraded after Bell stopped rolling out IKNS gear.

If you see lots of JWIs with boxes tacked their sides/rear, you likely are in a stinger area.

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

edit: it's probably worth noting that some jwi/opi's will have 2 back-packs / side packs. and it's not uncommon to have a lucent and alcatel pack on the same opi/jwi
NBomb
join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

NBomb

said by urbang33k:

said by InvalidError:

said by NBomb:

If you know where your jwi/opi is, if the backpack has notched corners its lucent. If the backpack has square corners its an alcatel

Okay. So maybe 100m away from my house in the field, there's a brown box with... two legs under it. It's maybe 2-3m wide? I've seen inside this, it's where all the pairs are terminated. The tech when I got my original 5meg DSL let me watch him work.

Off the left side there's like an add-on box, and then maybe a meter away to the left of that, not attached, is another smaller brown box that looks like a stand-alone version of the attached add-on box. They both have 45-degree top corners, many vents, and I can hear fans operating inside and circulating air. Never seen inside these.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

sounds like lucent to me. of course, without seeing it I cant say with any degree of certainty
NBomb
join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

NBomb

Got pics. These are them.

»i.imgur.com/j4ECs4Yl.jpg

»i.imgur.com/OEZnl6Cl.jpg