Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

[OS X] Streaming video integration

I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon prime. I watch videos via hulu as well as iTunes. I also have an OTA antenna/converter which puts OTA onto my network. Is there a way to integrate all these into a single user interface like Apple TV provides? I am not a cord cutter, since I never had the cord. In fact I do not own a TV. I watch everything on my 27" iMac.

With 50mMb Cablevision Internet only service, I can watch HD with no trouble. It would be nice to be able to put all these services together in one place.

Any OSX software out there which can simulate an Apple TV on OSX? I looked at Apple TV, and it seems only able to use a real TV as a screen and not a Mac. Is this correct?

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

You might take a look at XBMC which has plug-ins to deal with Hulu and other streaming services. (I think Plex does too, for that matter).

Depending on how your OTA recorded files are named, Plex and XBMC may also be able to deal with recordings as local media. Not sure how well XBMC plays with iTunes but Plex does a pretty good job of it.

XBMC is stand-alone software and might take a little more effort to customize to your liking.

Plex comes in two parts: Plex Media Server and Plex Media Center (soon to be Plex Home Theater) -- the first part manages your content and the second plays your content.

»xbmc.org/

»www.plexapp.com/
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx

Thankee thankee. Plex looks like the answer. I installed and am configuring it up. Looks nice!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

You're very welcome. I actually use Plex myself primarily because of the server/client approach -- it works very well for my needs.
--

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by darcilicious:

You're very welcome. I actually use Plex myself primarily because of the server/client approach -- it works very well for my needs.

Yes, it also aggregates content well. My Netflix and Amazon, my Hulu, and a host of other online content is all in one convenient place.

I haven't tried streaming to my iPad or iPhone yet, but I may try it to my rMBP with the nice 15" screen. I use my 27" iMac for video because of the big screen.

Thanks again.

--
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to TamaraB

Plex........

Was a Boxee lover,for the longest time, but, Plex has it beat hands down these days, I like the separation of Server/ Theatre on the newest beta releases......

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I'm a former Boxee fan too... Plex has been doing the server/client thing for quite a while now and for me that's one of its strongest selling points.

I also love how it's possible to transcode/download to various mobile devices for offline access to content too

And getting the PlexPass is totally worth it.
--

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Depending on how your OTA recorded files are named, Plex and XBMC may also be able to deal with recordings as local media.

This part I have not figured out yet. I have the Happauge unit connected to a directional antenna. It picks up 12 OTA channels and serves them up via it's own web server on my local network. In principle, it's no different than connecting to Netflix or to Amazon, it's simply a web site with a local IP address. I am looking into how I can add it to Plex as just another content source. It shouldn't be that hard.

It also has a DVR capability, and can save channels to a connected HD. Unfortunately, what's saved can only be viewed through the Happauge web interface. However, every file saved has it's own URL, so perhaps there is a way Plex can access them as if they were local content. Much to play with here

--
Should ever be forgot."

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to TamaraB

Whats the Hauppage unit????

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online