kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Re: [Parts Check] Looking For Mobo

Yep, I've read those threads and there's lots of good info. What I'm looking for is what difference would a 840 Pro makes over a non-Pro when it comes to gaming? The Pro version won or came in the Top 3 of almost every category at Tom's charts. Granted the Pro is more expensive and is it worth it value + performance wise?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

You likely wouldn't even notice the difference between an SATA II or III SSD in terms of gaming. I always recommend the most recent reliable stuff so you benefit from the newest R&D, but I doubt you will notice much of a difference.

Save the money and buy a larger 840. My 500 GB is amazingly roomy. As long as I keep Steam/Origin on my Caviar Black, I can't run out of space!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I believe both the Pro and non-Pro are SATA III. Here's a side by side comparison of 250/256 (2) non-Pro and Pro:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 24%24%24

The 500GB is outside my price range (200) although I wish I could get one. I'm a bit cramped (65% full) on my 120 because friggin' WoW is so damned big.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi

MVM

said by kingdome74:

The 500GB is outside my price range (200) although I wish I could get one. I'm a bit cramped (65% full) on my 120 because friggin' WoW is so damned big.

You could do, what I did with my sons' WoW machine. Jus' buy a smallish SSD, (128GB) is fine. Plenty big enough for WoW, and all patches.

I just installed WoW to the small SSD, and put a short-cut on the desk-top pointing to the executable on the SSD. Starts fast & runs great. So far, it's about the same space used, as when I installed a couple of years ago.

Of course it's REALLY nice to have your OS on an SSD, but this is a cheaper alternative, and still keep that blazin' fast load time, and dramatically decreased lag in WoW.

Good luck!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

That is a good idea. I went with a 250 GB Samsung 840 so I could put Win 8 and WoW on the same drive. Between the two of them that should eat up a good hunk of the drive. The only other thing I will add to it is some security programs making sure I stay below 50% full.

I received all of my gear yesterday and I ordered the Vapor-X 7950 this morning. All that's left is ordering the 3770K which I might wait until Monday to see if the prices drop off the weekend. I noticed they ticked up this morning.