Search similar:

uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

[iPhone] iPhone 5 on T-Mobile. Will it be worth it?

Heard that T-Mobile will be offering the iPhone 5 on its network on April 12. $99 down and $20.00 for 24 months. My understanding that it is unlocked phone. But unlimited data is $70 a month. Not much LTE yet either.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

Not much LTE yet, but the modified iPhone 5 they are selling is going to be compatible with AWS, which means HDPA+ nationwide.

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine
join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA

metrodust to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
$70 is pretty cheap. Specially when you put it up against a Verizon plan

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not T-Mobile will be selling it unlocked. From what I can tell, this is not the case.

InformationWeek is reporting that it will be locked until the loan is paid off (this seems to make the most sense):

»www.informationweek.com/ ··· 40151689

Ars Technica (which tends to be very reliable) seems to be either mistaken or is intentionally running a click-bait headline because they're reporting it's unlocked:

»arstechnica.com/apple/20 ··· t-phone/

I say this because their story quotes Engadget, which is actually discussing the phone that will be sold at Apple retail stores, not through T-Mobile.

»www.engadget.com/2013/03 ··· -mobile/

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to obeythelaw

Mod

to obeythelaw
Lets sell a customized year old phone and release the iPhone 5S in two months.

Awful logistics.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
Why wasn't this reported on the main page of this site? This is a pretty big deal because all 4 major carriers will finally have the iPhone.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

It looks like it is confirmed that the phone will be locked to T-Mobile when you sign up but as soon as the phone is paid in full, which presumably you can pay earlier without a penalty, it automatically becomes unlocked and can cancel service and bring it to another compatible network. Overall, $70.00 a month for unlimited data (facetime over 4G) and the AWS is pretty neat. I don't have any experience with T-Mobile but living in the NYC area I have to imagine it is very good. I don't think I can get my wife to switch to T-Mobile but $99 for the iPhone 5 isn't bad. Granted, 5s will be out within the next few months but I think there is enough people on T-Mobile that have wanted the phone for a long time. THe question is, will T-Mobile get the 5s as well?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

T-Mobile has 7 cities that have LTE.

They may be worth looking at in a year or two.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

I don't have any experience with T-Mobile but living in the NYC area I have to imagine it is very good.

I would strongly recommend you find a friend or coworker to confirm this before making the switch. The problem with using AWS and PCS spectrum is building penetration. I live in DC and recently switched to Sprint, who operates on 1900 MHz PCS spectrum. Basically what that means is your phone is completely useless indoors. You will not be able to use data and voice will be iffy. Even if this doesn't matter to you because you have a phone and computer at your desk at work, you're going to be pissed because your shiny new phone's battery won't last more than 8-10 hours. The cellular radio will constantly be either running at full transmit power or search mode. If I could go back and do it again, I would have stayed with VZW and their 700 and 800 MHz spectrum.
kenandles
join:2002-12-06
Roselle, NJ

kenandles to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
T-mobile's iphone does not come unlocked, they will unlock them after your pay them off or if you pay full price, or trade them in

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to pike

Premium Member

to pike
They say they'll unlock it after it's paid off.