Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

4 edits

[WIN8] W8 won't copy and paste files to C: drive

The W8 permission/priveledge mess is driving me crazy.

I'm running W8 on a two drive system that also has occasional multiple different flash drives attached.

I'm an admin on the system and have full permissions.

The OS drive is on an SSD drive. Most data is on a plain Sata Harddrive. From time to time I want to copy a file onto the C: drive from the Data drive or from a thumb drive, but W8 says no, you can't do that.

"Error Code 0x80070522 - Priviledge not held by client."

Since this is only a personal computer, not something used to run Fort Knox, how do we turn off all the non-sense that stops even the simplest normal tasks from being completed?

I don't think it is a UAC issue. That is already set to the lowest level. Can we disable all the W8 permission blocks?

P.S. - When I go to the file properties it appears that, as an admin, I already have full permissions, but sometimes still can't copy and paste from the other drives to the OS drive. Other times if I copy and paste first to the desktop W8 will then allow copying and pasting from the desktop to the main C: drive directory.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

Turn UAC on FULL and try again.

It should prompt to CONTINUE at which point it will allow you to click OK as an admin.

When UAC is disabled I believe it won't prompt for elevation, which is required.

I built a Win7 VM and turned UAC off.

When I tried to do some things that requred elevation it would just fail.

Another thing you could try is elevate the command prompt and try copying it that way just as a test to see if UAC is indeed the culprit.

Just a semi-educated guess.

Thanks,

David
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

4 edits

Thank you, David. That's a good suggestion. I'll try to remember it for future references. Sounds like that might work in many cases.

Unfortunately, it didn't work in this case.

I googled the problem before posting and tried what MSFT had suggested, but that didn't work either. Next step is to download the MSFT Safety Scanner and run a scan like a malware scan I guess. Back after that is done.

Okay, a quick scan with the MSFT scanner revealed no problems.

===========================================

Running a full scan now. Will report back again when that is done.

===========================================

The full scan just finished. It found no malware or viruses.

Back to the main question, what now? How can we fix Windows 8 so that it will copy and paste from drive to drive and to and from the thumb drives?

If all else fails, W8 can be reinstalled, but would prefer to disable all the Windows 8 barriers that prevent us from being able to use our computers as intended. How can we do that?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Gem

I copy and paste all the time on a win8 system with no changes to the UAC, on a user account.

How are you copying the files? Where are you copying the files? You can't for example, simply drag and drop a file from a drive to your desktop? From a file share to your desktop?

I mean, these are pretty simple actions - win8 didn't change anything here.

Are you copying from a cmd window? How about launching the cmd shell as admin?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Gem
Premium

NM, problem solved.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

Shared drive, read-only attribute set?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Gem

said by Gem:

NM, problem solved.

Could you expand on what you did to solve the problem?

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Shared drive, read-only attribute set?

That may be the problem, but I don't recall that box was checked on the files I tried to copy to the C drive. I tried to take ownership of the drive (it was from another computer prior to the W8 install), but nothing I could do would let me copy files from it to the root directory of the C drive.

The solution I came up with was very inelegant, but it worked. I copied all the files off of it onto a thumb drive (32GB).

Then wiped the drive that is to go in the Windows 8 build, then formatted it on the W8 machine. Then copied all the files from the thumb drive to the new W8 drive. Now I can copy files from that data drive to any location on the W8 machine.

The problem is that I like to have a shared removable data drive for backups from several computers. Don't know how that is going to work out with W8.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

I get that sometimes when moving external drives to new/different machines. The drive was expecting ownership from the previous machine, you have to transfer.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

said by Metatron2008:

The drive was expecting ownership from the previous machine, you have to transfer.

What do you mean by "you have to transfer"? What do we need to transfer, and how do we do it in W8 or even in W7 for that matter?

I tried to "take ownership" of the file and later of the drive, but still couldn't copy and paste files to the root directory of the W8 C: drive.