share rss forum feed

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Speed Bump

What the @#$% is it? (I thought I knew what it was *supposed* to be)

Long story short, I had a tech visit today and he has never heard of it. His supervisor has never heard of it. One of the techs (a supervisor?) in Memphis has never heard of it. You can't even find reference to it on Xfinity's website.

What speed am I actually supposed to be getting?

My actual service is "Double Play, performance+voice" WITH an extra 10Meg (the extra 10 Meg is this ever-so-elusive "speed bump").

-Alan

Expand your moderator at work

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to FirebirdTN

Re: Speed Bump

Are you talking about having agreed to $10/mo. on your bill for an upgrade from Performance to Blast speeds?

Sorry, I have that, but my bill doesn't use that term.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to FirebirdTN

Could you take a screenshot of your bill (hiding private info) so we can see the "speed bump" item?

That would help me. Then again, maybe someone else is familiar with it.
--

Dumaine

join:2010-12-05
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

reply to FirebirdTN

Here in Detroit its exactly as sorto said for some customers.

I have a friend that has HD Preferred XF (triple play), upped to Blast and it shows Speed Bump ($10) on his bill.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Sure would be nice if they used the same terminology across their entire system.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to Dumaine

Speed Bumps are generally placed to slow people (drivers) down.
Perhaps a poor choice of words for the billing dept.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

You know? You should be an analyst. That is exactly what was troubling me. I just didn't know it until you explained. Thank you!
--

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dumaine

WOW! Just had a very pleasant conversion with "sortofageek" who at first closed my thread because he though I was inquiring about these rumored speed upgrades.

As it turns out, he knows WAAAAY more than the knucklehead tech who showed up this morning.

This probably varies from Market to market, but here is what sortofageek told me [and it seems to agree with what I thought]:

I was on the "performance" tier, but the "speed bump" was supposed to move me up to the "blast" tier.

Anyway, when I became a customer last year my actual shaper probe speeds were:

25/4

I had some issues, swapped equipment and got knocked down to:

16/2

I called comcast two different times on Sunday, all said it was provisioned correct.

Tech came out today and said "your initial speeds must have been wrong, and the 16/2 is what you should have had all along". This knucklehead didn't even know what "powerboost" or shaper probe was. He certainly didn't know what "Speed Bump" was. He had never heard of it, even though he read it right off my bill. He called his supervisor, and HE had never heard of it. He called someone in Memphis (supervisor or just another tech, I'm not sure) and HE had never heard of it.

Anyway, I called AGAIN, and finally landed on the BEST tech I have ever dealt with when calling Comcast.

The only thing that made me nervous, is when he finished up I'm getting:

50/10

He assured me he didn't change any billing codes, but I'm just paranoid that my bill will go up, so that I why I created this thread. I was just looking for clarification.

-Alan

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Thanks for coming back to tell us your issue is resolved. We like to know things work out well for people.
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 recommendation

reply to FirebirdTN

25/4 was the former Blast speed (and 16/2 a long time ago), and a few recent threads here referenced $10/month more for Blast over Performance (it varies by area though). Based on what information you've provided, 50/10 should be the correct speed and you shouldn't see an increase on your bill.
--
KI6RIT

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to FirebirdTN

They charge us 10 over Performance for Blast! here (Mendocino County in NW CA)-

High Speed Internet 03/05 - 04/04 64.95
Blast! Internet Svc 03/05 - 04/04 10.00