Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

DIR-827 slow to connect initially

Picked up a 827 a few days ago from Costco. It was $40, so a pretty sweet deal!

I've had a perplexing issue though. After a boot or closing the browser, it seems to take a few minutes to connect to the 'net. Pages load like dial-up... lol

After that, it it back to fast as snot surfing. I've been scratching my head on this, as it's something I've ever had happen with any other router.

Suggestions, anyone?

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.

BTW, this IS as sweet deal on that router. WOW

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Pretty much everything is setup as in your post. It's the first thing that I do. I won't turn on uPnP however. That said, I'm not a noob with routers.

Again, the issue is taking a few minutes before getting full speed. My NetGear N600 that I swapped out did not have this problem, nor has any other router in the past.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

What happens if you turn on uPnP?

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I have a 10/1 cable connection through a Motorola SB 5102 modem (Docsis 2).

I haven't tried turning on the uPnP because it's a security risk. It shouldn't need to be on anyway.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Pretty much everything is setup as in your post. It's the first thing that I do. I won't turn on uPnP however. That said, I'm not a noob with routers.

Again, the issue is taking a few minutes before getting full speed. My NetGear N600 that I swapped out did not have this problem, nor has any other router in the past.

You never answered was this DSL (PPOE) or DHCP. DLink makes some standard defaults and some carriers ISP simple don't play by the same rules. Even some DHCP providers don't work properly with the MTU at the default 1500. Even some DSL providers the default 1492 is incorrect.

Lower the MTU first to 1452. If that makes a difference ease it back up to by 8's. When throughput falls off back it back down ~ SWEET SPOT FOUND! Have a party
PamelaTS

PamelaTS to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I haven't tried turning on the uPnP because it's a security risk. It shouldn't need to be on anyway.

Sorry cross messaged; try lowering the MTU

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

MTU is set for 1500 right now. Throughput is awesome as is and am getting 1.4 MB/s, but only after a few minutes at start up. It's just bizarre.

I might try lowering the MTU later when I have time to play with it, reboot and see what happens. This issue only occurs on start up. Puzzling.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

said by Juggernaut:

said by Juggernaut:

MTU is set for 1500 right now. Throughput is awesome as is and am getting 1.4 MB/s, but only after a few minutes at start up. It's just bizarre.

I might try lowering the MTU later when I have time to play with it, reboot and see what happens. This issue only occurs on start up. Puzzling.

MB/s or Mbps? With a 10/1 cable connection 1.4 Mbps isn't great. Check your Traffic Statistics display Receive and Transmit packets passing through your router looking for wan errors and dropped packets. This sounds like a data pump issue

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I stated it correctly. It's megabytes, not megabits. Hence, the capitals.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS

K, Just making sure

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
For most DOCSIS Cable modem systems, MTU of 1500 is standard. Your good there. The SB 5 Series is only 100Mb so you can try changing the Routers WAN Port Speed to 100Mb. There are more recent models, SB 6 Series that are DOCSIS 3.0 and run very good.

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the 827? Found on routers web page under status.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

It's 1.04 (the latest). Also the first thing I do after researching the latest...

Yea, as an after thought, I was thinking that setting may be causing it as well.

I own my SB 5, and Shaw would want to charge me monthly for the SB 6. Not gonna happen.
Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Just checked, and it's set for auto 10/100/1000. No auto for 10/100.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
If you own your own SB 5 Series, the you can own your own SB 6 series as well. I have 3 of them. I like BYOM too.

Try setting the 857 to 100Mb only on the WAN port speed and see.

Was a factory reset performed both before and after updating FW and then set up the router from scratch?

Just FYI, it's not always recommended to have the latest and greatest FW updates.

However, if FW updates are needed, I would recommend following this for future reference:
FW Update Process

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

When I see new FW for a device, I always research to see if it broke something in the process. As for the flashing procedure, that's how I've always done it. After 20 years around computers, you learn a few things...

As a side note, I was putting in a range of addresses to eliminate the YouTube buffering and it seemed to cut the initial connection lag by 2/3. Perhaps it is a coincidence. Time will tell, I guess.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Understand. Just help to make sure of the processes.

I would check out a new SB 6 Series modem. These provide Gb WAN port speeds unlike the 5 Series that only run 100Mb.

What do you mean by inputing certain IP addresses? How are you doing this?

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

You add IP's via the website filtering page, then set to deny. Too bad you can't seem do proper ranges i.e. 173.194.55.0/24

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Ah, I have heard of router slow downs if Filtering is used. Wonder if this could be the case. Does it happen even if you don't use any filtering?

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

As stated, the filtering seemed to help, not hinder speed. That would denote Google tries to maintain a persistent connection, if my findings are true.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Is this a Goggle app or DNS?

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

DNS.

Here's the post I'm referring to: About »Re: Youtube is slow

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
I see...

I recommend trying the following if you haven't try this already:
Connect a wired PC directly to the ISP modem.
Run Google Name Bench DNS search utility. This will attempt to find you faster DNS other than ISP or Google DNS. Takes about 5 mins.
It should find you 3 possible faster DNS addresses to use. If so, reconnect router to modem and input two of the 3 possible DNS addresses NB found into Setup/Internet/Manual. Then Disable DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Disable any Filtering as a test. Save settings at each menu. Then reboot the router and All devices.

Test again and see what happens. Now I think in order for Filtering to be used, DNS Relay has to be enable so after testing with it OFF, enable it and reset with Filtering and see how it goes.

I've been using DNS addresses found by NB for a while now. I don't see any issues with Youtube. However, I don't use Google DNS period.

Let us know if this helps any.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I use the Gibson Research DNS benchmark utility, and it shows my ISP is consistently the best.

DNS relay is off now, and filtering is still on. Of course, I've been experimenting myself in the mean time. I don't rely on the forum as a sole source of suggestions or possible fixes.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Let us know if the DNS Filtering changes anything.
BimmerE38FN

to Juggernaut
Just curious, what browser are you using? Does this happen with a different browser? Just curious.

I would hope that forums would be a good area for some suggestions and support when needed.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I use FF, and even tried it on IE. Same delay.

Don't get me wrong, the forums are good, but I don't wait around to have the answer served up to me. I use it as an adjunct process to complement my knowledge and perhaps get an insight to something I've missed.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Understand. I'm of the same frame of mind. Just here to help though.

Let us know if that process works.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Update: It was the browser. Went to FF 19.0.2 and all is good again.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

to Juggernaut
Awesome, glad you found the problem. I'm getting my 827 in the mail tomorrow. Will b checking on this.

Have fun.