how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jase

join:2013-03-26
Hawthorne, CA

[Fusion] Fusion service speed problem

Hi, we just had Fusion service activated last week and we are having a problem with the line speed.

Prior to the change, we had 5ms ping, 5.23mbps download and 0.66mbps upload to Dreamhost via speedtest.net and now we are getting about 30ms ping, 7.86mbps download and 0.76mbps upload to the same server. It doesn't seem like much of a speed increase and the ping time has actually gone up a lot. The first couple of days that the service became active, I was getting around 1200+kbps upstream, but suddenly it has dropped. I have also noticed that the downstream SNR margin is really low now, only about 6dB.

I have rewired the line running to my modem inside of the house hoping that might be the problem, but it didn't help. The connection outside at the box looks ok too.

Can anyone help me or provide advice on how I might be able to improve things? Thank you in advance.

-Jason

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:26

You will generally see an inverse relation between SNR and speed. We could set the SNR target higher, but that would usually cause a decrease in speed. 6db is the normal baseline; below that point, you may run into intermittency if there is noise on the line (although I've seen it run at 3db with no problems on clean lines). Right now, we're seeing a roughly 50% increase in speed on your downstream, so that might be perfectly normal... but it might be possible to tweak it further. Send me an IM with your account info and I'll have a tech look into this for you.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Jase

said by Jase:

Can anyone help me or provide advice on how I might be able to improve things? Thank you in advance.

Not really. There is a sticky topic in the Sonic.net forum about Fusion speed expectations:

»New Fusion average speed/distance chart

At some distance, all versions of DSL converge. I once found a graph showing ADSL, ADSL2+, and ADSL converging to about 1.5 Mbps at around 16,000 feet of copper.

I also show the inverse relationship of speed and SNR mentioned by dslx_nick See Profile:

Pacific Bell (SBC) 1536/384 service.

SBC 3008/512 service.

Sonic.net

All three snapshots taken on the same 9,156 foot copper loop. Regarding the third image: Taken within days of switching from "at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro" to Sonic.net "Fusion". After a few weeks the sync settled in to about 5700-5800, and the "Latency Type:" to Interleaved. The Interleaved latency runs about 25 ms at the first hop.

Also, Sonic.net, and I presume, DSL Extreme "Fusion" service is ATM based, so measured throughput is about 85% of sync. On that line, I went from ~2.5 Mbps (AT&T) to ~4.9 Mbps (Sonic.net); but the loop length is 9,156 feet. I would expect longer loops to show proportionately less speed increase.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Jase

join:2013-03-26
Hawthorne, CA
reply to dslx_nick

Ok, I have just spoken to a tech (I'm sorry, I didn't catch his name) dispatched by Nick and he resolved both my upstream and ping issues. He also estimated my distance from the CO at about 9500 feet, so that would explain my limited download rate.

As long as the current performance holds out, I think I am good to go, but I do have one more question. I'm showing a number of HEC (header error correction?) and super frame errors. Are these anything I need to be concerned about?

Thanks for the quick responses Nick and Norman, I really appreciate it.

-Jason

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:26

If you were seeing an excessive number of errors, then that'd be an issue, but you're not, so... no, not really. No need to be concerned, as it's perfectly normal for there to be some errors on the line (that's one of the things Interleave helps compensate, which lets you run at higher overall speeds with slightly higher ping time). If it does get out of hand, let us know and we can adjust the line settings to compensate.

The tech you worked with today was Esteban, btw.