spc
uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

IMO, there is no legitimate reason to not have the additional HD premiums, especially since they can upload them 5 to a QAM MPEG-4.

That's the biggest gaping hole for Comcast. There's a few other things regarding networks depending on the region, but there's not any gaping hole that it's inexcusable to not have the HD feed.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

Check out my post earlier in this thread and some replies - 1st page. My theory why they've gutted HD premium content involves increased profit - fees from replacement channels having commercials, still get fees from Premium Channel subscribers and fees from non- premium channel subscribers from single views of premium channel content via VOD.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Streetlight:

Check out my post earlier in this thread and some replies - 1st page. My theory why they've gutted HD premium content involves increased profit - fees from replacement channels having commercials, still get fees from Premium Channel subscribers and fees from non- premium channel subscribers from single views of premium channel content via VOD.

I did not realize you could buy single individual episodes or movies from a premium channel like HBO or showtime on demand.

I will take a closer look or do you have some examples?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Os

MVM

to Os
If you like Premiums in HD, your best suited to get DirecTV or move to a TWC or Brighthouse area.

Even tiny Pennsylvania operator Blue Ridge Cable has all the multi screens of premiums in their Ephrata and I think Stroudsburg systems.

I like having all the premium HD's on DirecTV. Channel surfing you might find something interesting to DVR that you wouldn't of known about before.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to The Q

to The Q
This week, On Demand has a Watchathon and many things are free and it may be hard to check out the costs. However, normally if one goes to a premium channel and select a movie the info screen says Free with Subscription. Presumably if one doesn't subscribe to a particular premium channel, it'll cost. I have a package for all of the premiums, so I don't see a cost. Check it out next week if you don't have premium channels and see what movies/shows cost on Premium HD On Demand.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Streetlight:

This week, On Demand has a Watchathon and many things are free and it may be hard to check out the costs. However, normally if one goes to a premium channel and select a movie the info screen says Free with Subscription. Presumably if one doesn't subscribe to a particular premium channel, it'll cost. I have a package for all of the premiums, so I don't see a cost. Check it out next week if you don't have premium channels and see what movies/shows cost on Premium HD On Demand.

I believe the cost/ price shown is for the whole month of that premium service not just for that show or movie.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Streetlight

to Streetlight
said by Streetlight:

However, normally if one goes to a premium channel and select a movie the info screen says Free with Subscription. Presumably if one doesn't subscribe to a particular premium channel, it'll cost. I have a package for all of the premiums, so I don't see a cost. Check it out next week if you don't have premium channels and see what movies/shows cost on Premium HD

I have HD Preferred, but do NOT have HBO or MAX, so I tried a couple movies & specials from each service. ALL of them came up as FREE (no mention of "with sub") & I was able to watch them with no problems. (previously they had a charge) You have to sub to that particular premium channel to watch; you CAN'T buy these shows "a la carte".

Now on the Streampix tab, there didn't seem to be a lot of FREE preview stuff there. (I don't sub to it) About the only shows I found that were FREE, were Downton Abbey & 30 Rock; however, I believe these were ALSO available under the regular TV network tab.
Others I tried like Leave it to Beaver & Saturday Night Live (outside the current season) required buying Streampix.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Cypher, that's the impression I get. Comcast is saying FU, go get FiOS or a dish, we don't want you.