how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

New001

@gwu.edu

[Northeast] Verizon FIOS MDU question

folks,

i'm moving into an apartment that has fios, but when i looked at the apartments i did not see a network closet or an ONT box of any kind, but the rooms did have multiple coax/CAT5e ports.

our landlord says that verizon techs have to work in the telecom room for to get service. this makes it seem like it's a vdsl2/shared ont setup, but for some reason i can order the 300/65 package in here.

questions:
1. is this a shared ONT setup or will they be drilling a SFU ONT into the walls somewhere in the apt?
2. if it is a shared MDU ONT i assume the CAT5e ports all go back to the telecom room?

thanks

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

The mdu is probably located in the stairwell. Apartment buildings do not get their own ONT like a house would.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

vz anon

@verizon.net
reply to New001

300/65 is not available on a mdu, so my guess would be a soho ont somewhere in your unit. was there micro-duct anywhere in the unit.... if so they will use that to run fiber to you unit the back feed to coax and cat5 to the telco room

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to New001

1) Not enough information to tell. If the apartment you looked at did not previously have FIOS installed, the only thing present might be a small 3"x3" cover which contains the pull tape for the fiber. If the web site indicates that you can order 300/65, then it's likely that each apartment gets its own ONT.

2) There are shared ONTs that support cat5 to each apartment. These are only used when the cat5 is already in place and it's not practial to run fiber to each apartment. These are very unusual.

said by MuDvAyNe:

Apartment buildings do not get their own ONT like a house would.

Depends on the building. Individual ONTs is VZ's preferred installation. Shared MDUs are only installed when the landlord does not permit running fiber to each apartment, or the running of fiber to each apartment is not practical.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

New001

@gwu.edu

i looked at a sample apartment and i could not find any kind of cover/drop/microducts, etc. every room had 2 CAT5e and 1 coax so i'm confused. there was a mechanical room in this apt but it was locked and i could not peek inside.

if my building did allow SFU ONTs, would they need to do a lot of drilling to get this deployed?

if it turns out to be a shared ONT w/ Cat5e ethernet, how would the ports work? will only 1 be active w/ public IP, or will the telecom room have a "router" just for the apt and would I be getting 192.168.x.x addresses?

this is a pretty new building so i'm hoping for a SFU ONT, but was surprised to see no network closet/equipment area. my current building has a network closet and had an ONT already installed on premises.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

If you can order 300, you will be getting a SFU ONT. There has to be some sort of conduit in a stairwell that leads to a terminal. The tech will have to run the fiber somehow into your unit. Without seeing everything that is there ,there is no way to tell how he will do it.
Wait for install day and all will be made clear.
BTW, with the 300 package the tech will have to run cat5 to the router for the WAN connection along with coax.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

The mdu is probably located in the stairwell. Apartment buildings do not get their own ONT like a house would.

Not true, I work for Verizon and so do my two brother in laws.
The one that works in the Bronx installs ONT's all the time in apt. buildings.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MuDvAyNe

I think that depends on the apt building and its size. I live in an apt building 4 apartments and the 3 of us that have FIOS each have our own ONT on the outside.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

Yea I should of clarified my statement. I was thinking of apartment buildings with 10 or more units. Also it depends on how old the building is.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
reply to New001

There are numerous buildings where there is modern wiring to the apartment from a communications room where they can and sometimes do place the ont. It does not necessarily need to be in the apartment itself nor does it need to be vdsl. Locally we have at least 6 buildings in my immediate c.o. set up this way.

aVZTech5

join:2006-05-08
Conshohocken, PA

said by Acc708:

There are numerous buildings where there is modern wiring to the apartment from a communications room where they can and sometimes do place the ont. It does not necessarily need to be in the apartment itself nor does it need to be vdsl. Locally we have at least 6 buildings in my immediate c.o. set up this way.

Ding Ding

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
reply to New001

If this a newer building or a recent renovation there may be a panel in a closet. The coax cable and ethernet cables would terminate in the and there would be space for an ONT.

New001

@verizon.net
reply to Acc708

Seems like the most likely case. So what does that mean networking wise

Will all CAT5e ports be active to a router just for the apt in the telecom room? Will I have access to this router?

Or will there be only one ethernet port working? Will there be a router in the apt?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

Both of my apartments I have had have had individual FIOS ONT's in the bedroom closets.

New001

@verizon.net
reply to Pathfinder

I didn't see any panels in any closets when I took a tour of the place

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

Again, wait for the tech. Any advice given here will at best be a guess. Wehave no way of knowing how the apartment is wired.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to New001

I have the residential ONT so I assume you will get the same thing. If they say fios has it you will have it

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to New001

check the halls for moldings
a lot of older buildings have conduits coming up from the basements, then fibers are pulled through corner moldings and the ONT is placed inside the apartment

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
reply to New001

said by New001 :

Seems like the most likely case. So what does that mean networking wise

Will all CAT5e ports be active to a router just for the apt in the telecom room? Will I have access to this router?

Or will there be only one ethernet port working? Will there be a router in the apt?

That all depends on the lay out of the network. It can be a yes or no. If you want additional outlets to be activate via cat 5e, then if this is the configuration, the router would not be in the apt, however, without knowing the layout, as Polo said, you are going to have to wait for the installer.

VZ_Support
Premium
join:2011-01-12
kudos:21
reply to New001

It looks like others have done well at answering your questions here, but if you have any specific questions you can always reach out in the »Verizon Direct forum. You can also check us out on twitter, @VerizonSupport as well as Facebook.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

Not always true. My apt building in MA, all of the apts with FIOS get their own fiber feed and ONT. It's rather nice, actually.

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

said by VirtualLarry:

said by MuDvAyNe:

Not always true. My apt building in MA, all of the apts with FIOS get their own fiber feed and ONT. It's rather nice, actually.

Yep, some newer buildings have innerduct/conduit in place to pull the fiber through to each individual unit, or if the association/owner doesn't mind, some exterior conduits may be used. In both of these cases, each unit will each get their own fiber feed.

There are plenty of cases where individual units get their own fiber feeds, but just as many where they don't.

New001

@i95.net

Well folks, I got the bad news... the 300/65 was an error and I can only get 50/10. It's wired as VDSL2 ... ****

If it is wired as VDSL2 is it normal to see so many ethernet ports in the apartment? I'm confused as to why they would install so many in the first place (it seems like only one will be active for the DSL modem)

Can the DSL modem be set to bridge mode so that I can use my own router?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

New VDSL2 customers get a D-Link VDSL2 modem - it is a bridge modem, so you can use whatever CPE router you want.