Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[WIN8] F8-reboot in safe mode, won't work. Hate win8 now

I've been having unending difficulties (to put it mildly) with a 450GTS and Win8. Ever since changing to Win8, the system, an EOL build, just won't work with the card. It's been replaced. There are other threads in other forums here and I won't go into the details because I've gone over and over them, and I want to make another point:

When going back to an ATI card, the system wouldn't boot and I couldn't get 8 to safe boot, even though I followed the steps. It is apparently a fact that 8 won't go into safe mode if it doesn't feel like it. I had to use system restore.

I now, after this and other vexing things with 8, officially detest the OS. Let's face it, it's a failure because they tried to force changes that just aren't ready or possible for this time in history, and I have now lost a hard drive due to the repeated crashes, BSODs, and power boots because I couldn't get it to do safe mode and some other things, and that it just won't work with the video card, even though the card works fine in a 7 machine of similar vintage and spec.

Thanks, MS, for this. Thanks a lot.

EDIT:

Hmm, just for Ss and Gs, I did a google search:

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· irefox-a

Seems enough people feel this way. I wish the world would support Linux in a big enough way that it was viable for me.

As much as I detest Apple and Steve Jobs' refusal to give to charity and causes, unlike Gates, if I had the budget, right now, I might actually BUY a Mac. And I've always built my systems!

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Shift + F8 isn't working?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

It works, but it doesn't reboot in safe mode. This is twice it didn't work. It is documented that 8 only goes into safe mode if it feels like it.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

One trick I've found is that even if it takes you to the login, hit the power icon and it then sends you to the recovery options.

Yes it's weird I agree

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

Freddy to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
View the video at the end of the article, just before the Comments section:

»blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/arch ··· ore.aspx

The information may or may not apply, but worth a shot.

Freddy

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
At the login screen, Hold shift down, click the power button on bottom right, click restart.. keep holding that shift key in,,, don't let up the shift key until you reach that light blue options screen that will lead you to the f8 menu options.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

No. That does not work. It is very convoluted now and no new user would know how to do it. I didn't know what to do when I rebooted when this computer was new and I was taken to a Recovery screen that said Windows didn't load correctly. From there you have to select Advanced Repair Options, then Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Windows Startup Settings/Restart. You will then be taken to an Advanced Boot Options screen where you can choose Safe Mode.

If you can successfully boot the computer but need to start in Safe Mode then use Run (if you have something like Start8) and type MSCONFIG (or just type it on the Metro screen) and then on MSCONFG screen go to the Boot tab and you can choose Safe Boot and a bunch of secondary choices for the safe boot.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Mele20:

said by dib22:

No. That does not work.

Works on mine, but I will admit my motherboard is older and the bootup is much slower than some of the UEFI bios. If yours boots too fast and you keep landing on the login screen, just follow sekim See Profile 's advice and hold shift while clicking the power icon and choose restart.

It is very convoluted now and no new user would know how to do it.

Agreed. It is nothing like the old method, weird indeed.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't boot to any login screen that is visible because I don't have a password (desktop, I am the only user so no need). I boot (via Start8) directly to the desktop in 22 seconds (according to Boot Racer). So, when would I start holding shift down? Plus, I have no power button on bottom right.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Mele20:

I don't boot to any login screen that is visible because I don't have a password (desktop, I am the only user so no need). I boot (via Start8) directly to the desktop in 22 seconds (according to Boot Racer). So, when would I start holding shift down? Plus, I have no power button on bottom right.

Ahh I see... so you would want to use the msconfig method or PC Settings (the tifkam one), General, Advanced startup...

or hope that it automatically pops up when there is an issue (I have not had the chance to test this method yet, knock on wood)

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim

MVM

Hold shift down while and after pressing the power/restart while in windows too works.