drussel2
join:2002-11-05
Hayward, CA

drussel2 to TomS_

to TomS_

Re: [Config] Dual stack

said by TomS_:

Not entirely removed.

There are still link-local addresses which only work between devices on the same network segment, fe80:..... addresses.

Does that mean I can define a new DHCP pool for IPv6 like
ipv6 dhcp pool DHCPOOL6
import all
default-router fe80::.... something

interface gigabitethernet0/0
ipv6 address fe80::something

Then if an IPv6 device on my lan connects, it will get a dhcp assigned address that is local to my network only, and if it wants to get outside, the router will directthe traffic accordingly, similar to NAT?

On another note... I have several ip dhcp pools with only one address... I use that so I can configure specific devices as DHCP, but then code their mac address (client id) in the pool so they always get the same address.

can I also assign a specifc IPv6 addres so a device that is capable, will get an IPv4 and IPv6 address?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

1 recommendation

TomS_

MVM

NAT defeats the entire purpose of IPv6. Dont do it, its evil enough for IPv4.

So no, you'll still need a pool of IP addresses, but these will be assigned to you by your provider. Those IP addresses, which are all publicly routable, will be assigned to your devices.

If you use something like SLAAC, then your devices will auto-configure themselves with an IP address based on their MAC address, so they'll always be using the same IPv6 address on your network by default.

DHCP for IPv6 is not widely supported by client devices/OSes so you tend to have to rely on auto-configuration methods like SLAAC.