Search similar:

uniqs
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

1 edit

qworster

[Rant] Bye Bye Comcrap...

Bye bye Comcast! Your 'offer' to save me money by slowing my Internet down is rejected - as is your 'new' rate of 65 dollars a month for 12/4 Internet.

I just signed up for FiOS. 335 channels, a DVR, 3 HDTVs and one standard one. 75/35 Internet. Unlimited phone - all for 133.00 a month.

I'm also cancelling DirecTV at 128 a month, which means I'll be saving a total of 60 dollars a month!
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

Bye

Is $133 a promo rate? If not then very good deal.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

1 recommendation

LeftOfSanity

said by nysports4evr:

Bye

Is $133 a promo rate? If not then very good deal.

Of course its a promo rate. You dont ever get "normal price" when you first sign up. If the OP was told otherwise, he better call back a few times and ask different reps and see if he gets the same answer each time.

amity
join:2013-03-16
Portland, OR

amity to qworster

to qworster
Saving $60 a month for the next couple months maybe. All companies eventually find a way to hike up the price and Verizon was reported to have been doing that a lot recently.
qworster
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

It is a 2 year promo rate.
Oh and it's actually 335 channels.
I got a free whole home DVR for a year then it goes up to $153.00 for the second year --- BUT I also got a hundred dollar Visa gift card.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to qworster

MVM

to qworster
Be happy for the guy I know if FiOS were an option, I would switch in a heartbeat. I still miss it from 4 years ago when I had it in Delaware.

Ironically, I was paying slightly more for business class but was getting 25/25 and 4 years later on Comcast I'm on 27/7.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Hehe, what I was thinking. I was wondering how common it is for knowledgable people/power users to not use FiOS in available areas. I know I would switch in an instant if it was available (well, instant once my business class contract is up ).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by Thordrune:

(well, instant once my business class contract is up ).

Hmm, I'd have to think long and hard about donating a kidney to pay my ETF.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic to qworster

to qworster
...see you in a year.....
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

3 edits

rody_44 to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
LOL, Not much changes when fios is available. They both are to dam expensive and both only give good promo rates and raise them after. Services are pretty much the same with fios having a better upload speed so it really comes down to who will give you what at any given time. I think verizon considers me a hold out as i stay with comcast and just call for promotional pricing when the time comes. Verizon is down to 79 dollars a month for the triple play with the mailers i get. Comcast cant or wont match that so sooner or later im sure the offer will be to enticing and i will switch. For now im happy with the double play from comcast at 92 a month. the only thing in this area that is seperating the two is comcasts willingness to keep prices down with promo rates where as verizons ability to some how get the price higher than you expect.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to Thordrune

MVM

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

Hehe, what I was thinking. I was wondering how common it is for knowledgable people/power users to not use FiOS in available areas. I know I would switch in an instant if it was available (well, instant once my business class contract is up ).

I am one who has both available. I've compared prices/offerings over the years, and found that they are very similar. Not enough difference to make the change. My only unanswered question is regarding picture quality. I've heard everything from they are the same to one is better than the other. From what I have seen (in one or two houses), the PQ is about the same. So, each time my promo expires, I call Comcast Retentions, mention I may switch to FIOS, what can you do for me to stay... I have been on one promo or another for about 4 years (we were one of the first areas to get FIOS)
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I know pretty many people that switch back and forth around here. PQ doesnt come into play. The only way i can tell is the guide isnt the same.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by rody_44:

I know pretty many people that switch back and forth around here. PQ doesnt come into play. The only way i can tell is the guide isnt the same.

Good to hear. Sounds like I really am not missing anything.
qworster
Bryn Mawr, PA

1 edit

qworster

The Comcast retentions people took a hard line with me. They actually tried to 'save me money' by offering me slower Internet Service. I told them they were crazy - especially when FiOS offers 50/25 Internet service for 4 dollars more a month then they were charging me for 12/4 service.

I was willing to consider a Comcast triple play if the price was right but they refused to deal. Ironically, my brother got 75/25 Internet, their premier HD TV package with 3 TVs and a DVR and unlimited telephone from Comcast a few months ago for $120 a month. When I asked retention for this package I was flatly told that it was for 'new customers only" and the 65 dollars I was paying for 12/4 Internet was an 'exceptional value'. I disagreed.

FiOS also has the best picture quality of the bunch. I think that Comcast is about the worst, though I don't know how good Dish is. I do know that DirecTv beats Comcast's HD quality hands down.

I like DirecTv, but 128 dollars a month for 210 channels and HBO is way too much money - especially when I can get so much more from Verizon for around the same price. Indeed, DirecTV went up 8 dollars a month just last month.

These clowns have to begin realizing that we are in tough economic times and people are looking for VALUE now. They simply can not keep increasing their rates every 6 months and expect to keep their customer base. I have been with DirecTV for almost 5 years and they simply got too expensive to keep.
qworster

qworster

Bummer! They only gave me 50/25 service - look!

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1491.png

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster
said by qworster:

These clowns have to begin realizing...

... that not every customer is worth having.
Letting those that continuously complain, unnecessarily use tech services/time, or repeatedly demand unprofitable promo rates "get away", can enhance the bottom line.
Glad you found somebody else to provide service.
qworster
Bryn Mawr, PA

4 edits

qworster

Has it occurred to you that you are part of the problem, not the solution? For over a year, the most effort Comcast made for me was processing my payment. I never bothered them at all - nor did I come close to their cap (I averaged 100 gb a month). It seems to me that you are the corporate tool here and if you and others weren't so 'toolish' (re: complacent), these corporations would begin to realize that they exist to serve US, not the other way around. One thing you obviously do not understand is that Internet service is like seats on a plane: if you fly with too many empty ones, you lose money. Better you get 100 dollars and put someone in that seat then have it fly empty - because one way you are $99.50 richer then the other way. Same thing with Comcast - they have to maintain their infrastructure whether everyone on the street is connected or no one is. Let's say they were willing to give me my Brother's deal (Which I asked them for and they said NO: triple play HD with 75/35 Internet for $120.00 a month) instead of only allowing new customers to get it. That would be 120 dollars more then they have now from me. When you consider that their costs are pretty much fixed, which would YOU rather have - $1440.00 a year or ZERO a year? I think the answer is obvious.

Just my .02.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to tshirt

to tshirt
What promo rates are not profitable to Comcast ? I bet 0.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

said by ExoticFish:

What promo rates are not profitable to Comcast ? I bet 0.

I'd agree. I am pretty certain the margins for cable companies are quite large compared to most businesses. I suspect they make money no matter what discounts you are given.
qworster
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

Their margins are freaking HUGE! Where do you think they got the money to have the biggest building in Philly and to buy 100% of NBC/Universal?

Don't feel sorry for them - they are doing just fine!
data129
join:2007-07-04
Canton, MI

data129 to qworster

to qworster
That's a great deal. I wish we had fios here i would change too.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

LOL, Not much changes when fios is available. They both are to dam expensive and both only give good promo rates and raise them after. Services are pretty much the same with fios having a better upload speed so it really comes down to who will give you what at any given time. I think verizon considers me a hold out as i stay with comcast and just call for promotional pricing when the time comes. Verizon is down to 79 dollars a month for the triple play with the mailers i get. Comcast cant or wont match that so sooner or later im sure the offer will be to enticing and i will switch. For now im happy with the double play from comcast at 92 a month. the only thing in this area that is seperating the two is comcasts willingness to keep prices down with promo rates where as verizons ability to some how get the price higher than you expect.

things you get on cable that you dont get on fios: peak hour slowdowns and overloaded nodes!
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

You dont get slowdowns or overloaded nodes here. Just doesnt happen. Never has with or without fios available. The only thing fios gets you here is a better upload and higher prices. I have never had any issues getting comcast to give me some type of deal that makes me happy. The day im not happy with comcast i will move along to fios or whatever company wants to make me happy. The only thing that frustrates me with comcast is customer service sucks in my opinion at least phone support does. Seems to me if they could provide better email service i wouldnt need to be calling tho and that to wouldnt be a issue.
Dont know how much longer i hold out for tho. My fios mailer offers are down to 79 dollars a month for triple play with a 100.00 gift card and free dvr. Wow thats enticing. Holding strong with comcast at 92 a month for the double play with hbo and showtime. 13 dollars isnt enough but the gap continues to narrow. Cant imagine fios going much lower and have a feeling the balls in comcasts court as far as keeping prices in check.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to qworster

MVM

to qworster
To me, this is much like real estate: Location, Location, Location!

What is a good deal here, may not be in another locale.

If we had FIOS here, I very well might have gone for it...but we don't.

Straight dsl is a slow, over-priced option not worth considering.

Uverse is not offering anything compelling in my area, 2 year contract and the $199.95 install/equipment fee is absurd. $99.95 of that is to buy their gateway, which only works with Uverse...

I have no contract with Comcast. We never have speeds drop due to congestion, choice to buy or rent a number of modem/routers. Downside is that they know they are the only viable game in town, and once initial promos are up, they have little incentive to offer any price breaks to existing customers. Customer service in this region has actually been good, except for ocassional confusion over available packages/offers.

Other Comcast areas have had many more service outages and node congestion, poorer customer service, etc.

The bottom line is that broadband consumers should do their homework, and base their decision on what is available, and how each service stands up within their location!

Qworster, wish you the best of luck and hope FIOS gives you better bang for your buck!

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

You dont get slowdowns or overloaded nodes here. Just doesnt happen. Never has with or without fios available.

NEVER say "never". It's not *impossible*..
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster
Enjoy your 2 year contract!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to qworster

to qworster
so what would be the anticipated price after the 2 year promo price? do you know?

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD to qworster

Anon

to qworster
said by qworster:

Their margins are freaking HUGE!....

Don't kid yourself, CATV margins are going down thanks to extreme doble-digit content access increases that aren't getting passed fully onto subscribers. HSI margins are pretty solid, although Comcast (and many other ISP's) will need to continue to find ways to monetize HSI to keep profits growing.