spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tahoedan
join:2006-01-01
Tahoe City, CA

tahoedan

ASUS RT-N66u as access point or router?

Hi. I have a Netopia 3347-02 I have been using for my home network. I have a lot of wireless cameras so i thought i should have a faster network to handle them. So I got an ASUS Rt-N66U and have it hooked up as an wireless accesss point and the cameras are working great.

My question is if it would be better in general to use the ASUS as a router also rather than just an access point? would my computers internet connection be any better?

I guess I am wondering if there is something in the netopia as it functions as the router that would be limiting speed where the ASUS would not? if that makes any sense.

thanks

rlocone
Honor Our Heros, Our Armed Forces
Premium Member
join:2002-04-10
Kokomo, IN

rlocone

Premium Member

You have to ask yourself this... Why do I want to use n66u? Since the Netopia already has all of the capabilities in it. I had the same exact unit. If you do decide to use the n66u which I also have and it's a great router (custom firmware of course), You'll need to bridge the Netopia. I haven't bridged one of those in ages. You don't want to get double NATed. So, when you use the n66u, it will be considered a gateway mode. It will take over PPPoE logins from the Netopia. Afterward, you can turn on DHCP for your network. If all else falls you get stuck and nothing seems to work just reset your device back to defaults.

Cheers,

tahoedan
Tahoe City, CA

tahoedan

I want to use the N66U because it can handle wireless traffic better. I just was not sure if there was some function it had as a wired router that made it any better than the Netopia.

I have it set as a router now but am not sure if I am double NAT'ing or not. Do I need to disable the Netopia as a gateway?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to tahoedan

Premium Member

to tahoedan
I agree with rclone. If there is functionality built into the N66U, or a third party firmware available that you want to use, then yes it may make sense to replace the netopia with the N66U for routing functionality. Since the netopia is both a modem and a router you have to turn it into strictly a modem. Probably can be done might give you some pain but should be doable, check with your ISP. The other caveat I would place on your idea is that placement of your N66U will dictate its coverage. Where are both units located now and do you have a wired home?? I go by the premise if it aint broke dont fix it. So if your getting the performance you desire why change. On the other hand by investigating the routing capabilities of the N66U or a third party firmware that can be put into it, you may figure out there is more you want to do. Not sure but does the N66U with stock firmware provide a guest wifi network. Is it optimized for streaming video or multiple camera viewing. Third party firmwares may provide additional features or better functioniality.

tahoedan
Tahoe City, CA

tahoedan

Hi and thanks for the reply. the N66U can stream my camera video much better since it is "N" and not "G" and my cameras have the N capability.

other than that I do not know if the N66U offers better routing capabilities. I just do not want to have a double NAT.

And yes the N66U has guest wify capabilities and can be optimized for heavy wify traffic. I can also install DDWRT for more options. however I do not need any of this at this time.

that said...I was able to set up the Netopia in bridge mode so now it is acting as just a modem. so i assume i have elleviated the double NAT and all is working great.

thanks

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Most excellent and thanks for the feedback.