Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I bought 3 of these hubs a little over a year ago from Ben's Outlet:
2 of these: »www.bensoutlet.com/products/titan-usb-hub
1 of these: »www.bensoutlet.com/products/tita···-10-port

I never ended up using them as it was an impulse buy since they were so cheap. I recently went to start using them and found out they are not what they were supposed to be. I was getting really slow speeds and found that they were running at USB 1.1 speeds so I opened them up and pulled the boards out and they both say 1.1 right on the board.

Not sure if this was a scam or just a company screw up, but I have two 7 port hubs and a 10 port hub that are pretty much useless. I have been searching online to try to find company info for whatever Titan company makes these to see if they will exchange them or do anything at all. If not, no big deal but it's worth a shot.

I have Googled Titan and a lot of different companies come up but none that looked like they sold these hubs. If anyone knows what company this is let me know. Also, if anyone ever had these and had the same issue let me know if you just tossed them or if you were able to get the correct ones. Any info is appreciated.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL

If you are handy with a soldering iron you might try cleaning up that piss poor job they done and that might increase your speeds. USB is notorious for not running very good with noisy lines.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to happy4ya

A few things:

1. The 1.1 shown on the board might not indicate USB 1.1, but instead PCB revision 1.1. The silkscreening text location brings into question whether or not its PCB revision or protocol layer support.

2. The product itself is extremely cheap -- what you see there are what are called glob-top chips, which is an extremely cheap way to get an IC onto a PCB without actually doing manual soldering. The IC is placed on the PCB at a very specific location (to align its pins with traces on the board), then a special resin is poured over and let to cool. This means that who made the ICs and what model number they have is unknown.

A USB descriptor dump *might* disclose the product and vendor IDs of the underlying ICs, but they could also be 0xffff. If you could provide a descriptor dump, that would be helpful.

3. CNet has reviewed this device and stated that it does USB 2.0. Whether or not they got the exact same product as you is unknown.

4. I believe the company that makes these devices is GGI International ("GGI"); their US office is in New Jersey.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

4 edits
reply to happy4ya

When you tested these USB hubs did you do so with power applied to the hub or without?

***edit***

These look similar:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···P0E13466

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···K0GS0894

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···V0FD9628

Probably a bunch of these with different names but the same product from the same source.

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Octavean:

When you tested these USB hubs did you do so with power applied to the hub or without?

I used them powered and tried without power too and it didn't make a difference.

happy4ya
Premium
West Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

A few things:

The 1.1 shown on the board might not indicate USB 1.1, but instead PCB revision 1.1. The silkscreening text location brings into question whether or not its PCB revision or protocol layer support.

I thought about this too. Not really sure what the 1.1 means.

said by koitsu:

A USB descriptor dump *might* disclose the product and vendor IDs of the underlying ICs, but they could also be 0xffff. If you could provide a descriptor dump, that would be helpful.

Once I figure out how to do this I will. Time to start Googling.

said by koitsu:

CNet has reviewed this device and stated that it does USB 2.0. Whether or not they got the exact same product as you is unknown.

That is the same hub, same model, same place I bought it from too and not far off from around the time I got mine.

said by koitsu:

I believe the company that makes these devices is GGI International ("GGI"); their US office is in New Jersey.

I see they are in Passaic, NJ. I work in hospitals around there all the time. May have to stop by if they have a walk-in facility.

happy4ya
Premium
West Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to VegasMan

said by VegasMan:

If you are handy with a soldering iron you might try cleaning up that piss poor job they done and that might increase your speeds. USB is notorious for not running very good with noisy lines.

I could try that but I would like to see if I can get them exchanged first. If not I would definitely break out the soldering iron and that would be no problem. I have been soldering since I was a kid (that made me feel old).