how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dagwood01

join:2007-10-22
Oakville, ON

[General] New User Questions

I recently installed an OBI100 with service from freephoneline.ca and voip.ms, 1 phone number from each. I am using Panasonic DECT cordless phones with the system currently. Is it possible to add a SIP phone(s) later on in conjunction with the OBI100 using the same phone numbers I already have? At that point it would seem that I'd be trying to register more than one device to the same phone number and I'm not sure that's possible.

Another question, if I was on a call from one provider and a second call came in on my other provider what would happen? Would the fact I'm already on the phone give the second caller a busy signal?

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
said by Dagwood01:

I recently installed an OBI100 with service from freephoneline.ca and voip.ms, 1 phone number from each. I am using Panasonic DECT cordless phones with the system currently. Is it possible to add a SIP phone(s) later on in conjunction with the OBI100 using the same phone numbers I already have? At that point it would seem that I'd be trying to register more than one device to the same phone number and I'm not sure that's possible.

I am not familiar with freephoneline.ca, but this is definitely possible with voip.ms. You will need to create a subaccount for your IP phone. If you would like your DID to ring both your OBi100 and your IP phone, then you will also need to create a ring group that includes both the main account and the subaccount. You will then need to route your DID to this ring group.

said by Dagwood01:

Another question, if I was on a call from one provider and a second call came in on my other provider what would happen? Would the fact I'm already on the phone give the second caller a busy signal?

You would hear the call waiting beep and could switch over to answer the new call. The caller would hear the normal ring.

If you had a two phone setup (as described above), then you would hear a call waiting beep AND the second phone would ring at the same time. This would give someone else the opportunity to answer the second call, OR you could answer it.

Dagwood01

Oakville, ON
Thanks for the answers.

Freephoneline.ca seems pretty basic and I don't think it has subacounts.

As for a second call coming in while I'm on the line from the other provider, I suppose if it doesn't get answered it would go to voicemail of the second provider. That raises another issue regarding voicemail. If there is a new voicemail indicator when someone comes home there's no way to tell which provider (number) it's on so one would have to possibly check both. A minor hassle, but something one has to be aware of and don't expect *98 to cover both.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CircleNet
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
said by Dagwood01:

Freephoneline.ca seems pretty basic and I don't think it has subacounts.

If they allow you to forward your calls to a SIP address, then you can forward it to your voip.ms SIP address (yourDID@sip.voip.ms).

said by Dagwood01:

As for a second call coming in while I'm on the line from the other provider, I suppose if it doesn't get answered it would go to voicemail of the second provider. That raises another issue regarding voicemail. If there is a new voicemail indicator when someone comes home there's no way to tell which provider (number) it's on so one would have to possibly check both. A minor hassle, but something one has to be aware of and don't expect *98 to cover both.

If your second call goes unanswered, it will go to voicemail. As far as knowing which voicemail box has a new message, it would be pretty difficult with the OBi. However, if you have an IP phone, it is easy to determine which voicemail box has the new message.

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
reply to Dagwood01
It's possible to add a SIP phone in the mix to make/receive calls through the Obi device.
The original post is not available but you can check here the quote of RonR post.
I didn't try that though and the post is for an ATA who's able to make/receive calls without registration so the SIP phone might need to do that also.

Dagwood01

Oakville, ON
reply to Dagwood01
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those.