spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

markPerez

@mycingular.net

battery

I have a 98 Ford Taurus and the battery keeps draining. What would cause this? I have check everything that I can think of. The guy I bought it from said it was a dimmer switch in the steering column????

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

See if the dome light, a map or a visor light is on with the doors closed..

mark perez

@mycingular.net

No dome light on the only light on is door adjar

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

said by mark perez :

only light on is door adjar

Probably there is a lamp at the bottom of that door which is draining your battery. Check dashboard lights through driver side window to make sure all doors are shut properly.

unixwolf

join:2007-05-04
Flower Mound, TX
reply to markPerez

Its simple.. Use an ammeter. Pull the positive battery cable and put the ammeter between the cable and the battery.. You should not be pulling more than 500ma

If you are, then start pulling fuses until the load goes away.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

Yes, agree with pulling a cable and using an ammeter. However, I think the current should be under 100 mA.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to markPerez

said by markPerez :

I have check everything that I can think of. The guy I bought it from said it was a dimmer switch in the steering column????

Mark, you are getting bizarre advice from clueless people when it is obvious that the car is telling you that some door is ajar or open.

Even if you think it is closed, maybe the door gasket is a bit warped and the door-open switch is not closing. Open that door and see if there is a lamp which comes on. If the car thinks that door is not closing properly that lamp will stay ON even when you think the door is closed ... which WILL drain the battery.

I hope it is crystal clear what you need to check before messing with the battery cables. You make one mistake and either cable or tool touches the other terminal and you have kilowatts "draining" explosively from the battery totally destroying it and possibly hurting you. All because you did not bother to listen to what the car is telling you.

*** Google shows many people having same problem. Spraying WD-40 on door latches solved some of those problems. Some others had a faulty switch or relay.

mark perez

@mycingular.net

Thank you I will try that and get back with you

mark perez

@scansafe.net
reply to lutful

mark perez

@mycingular.net
reply to lutful

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lutful

said by lutful:

said by markPerez :

I have check everything that I can think of. The guy I bought it from said it was a dimmer switch in the steering column????

Mark, you are getting bizarre advice from clueless people when it is obvious that the car is telling you that some door is ajar or open.

Even if you think it is closed, maybe the door gasket is a bit warped and the door-open switch is not closing. Open that door and see if there is a lamp which comes on. If the car thinks that door is not closing properly that lamp will stay ON even when you think the door is closed ... which WILL drain the battery.

I hope it is crystal clear what you need to check before messing with the battery cables. You make one mistake and either cable or tool touches the other terminal and you have kilowatts "draining" explosively from the battery totally destroying it and possibly hurting you. All because you did not bother to listen to what the car is telling you.

*** Google shows many people having same problem. Spraying WD-40 on door latches solved some of those problems. Some others had a faulty switch or relay.

I can't remember if on the Taurus if the trunk is also attached to the door ajar light. If so it could not be shutting all the way or bad switch keeping the light in the trunk on. If there is one in there.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2
reply to markPerez

That generation Taurus had issues with the door sensor. I expect at least one of your sensors is bad and causing the car to flag the door as open. When I bought my 98 Taurus it actually had all the light bulbs removed from the map lights and under the dash. Several days after I purchased the car the door ajar issue appeared so that explained why all the bulbs were missing.

You can try spraying lubricant in the latch but you may need to replace the sensor(s). Unfortunately the car doesn't give enough feedback to determine which door is the culprit. The dealer has the tools to do that.