MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Gem

MVM

to Gem
said by Gem:

NM, problem solved.

Could you expand on what you did to solve the problem?
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Shared drive, read-only attribute set?

That may be the problem, but I don't recall that box was checked on the files I tried to copy to the C drive. I tried to take ownership of the drive (it was from another computer prior to the W8 install), but nothing I could do would let me copy files from it to the root directory of the C drive.

The solution I came up with was very inelegant, but it worked. I copied all the files off of it onto a thumb drive (32GB).

Then wiped the drive that is to go in the Windows 8 build, then formatted it on the W8 machine. Then copied all the files from the thumb drive to the new W8 drive. Now I can copy files from that data drive to any location on the W8 machine.

The problem is that I like to have a shared removable data drive for backups from several computers. Don't know how that is going to work out with W8.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I get that sometimes when moving external drives to new/different machines. The drive was expecting ownership from the previous machine, you have to transfer.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

1 edit

Gem

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

The drive was expecting ownership from the previous machine, you have to transfer.

What do you mean by "you have to transfer"? What do we need to transfer, and how do we do it in W8 or even in W7 for that matter?

I tried to "take ownership" of the file and later of the drive, but still couldn't copy and paste files to the root directory of the W8 C: drive.