All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: good PAY-BY-THE-MINUTE plan (just in case a need to use it)?

said by Davesnothere:

said by vintagewino:

Check the map if PC Telecom (operating on the Bell network) covers your area.

$100 for 1 year. Works out to ~$9/month + taxes.

If you top up before 1 year of your last top-up, the entire unused amount is carried through as a credit for the next 365 days.

20 cents/minute are time, + 35 cents/minute long distance (if applicable)....

It sounds like you are at first saying that $100 buys a whole year of service of unlimited minutes.

You didn't mean it that way, did you ?

And the monthly cost breakdown would only hold true if you rationed your usage per month.

As for what happens at the end of the year with the top-up, Rogers does (and others do) that too, though to get another year of time to use whatever $$ which you then have in the account, the top-up itself MUST be $100, not smaller.

Is that also the case with PCT ?

I implied no such thing. Remember, this is Canada. With telecom, bend over. Why do you think I put that line in below. That's how that $100 is spent.

He did not specify his normal average use, so the best we can do is speculate.

That $100 can be broken as follows:
-500 minutes of anytime local calling (20c /min) OR
-181 minutes of LD calling (20c/min air time + 35c/min LD)

Those numbers decrease when you add SMS. Outgoing texts are 15c each; incoming are free.

What I am saying is if he is "low use", this may be an option. He'll still be further ahead, if he replenishes a couple of times in a year, than on any "plan" I have seen.

If there is anything remaining of that $100, the remains can be carried over, assuming you replenish within 365 days of the last replenishment.

PCTelecom is via the President's Choice (Loblaws) Also known as PCMobile.

Is there ANY plan you know of that allows you to carry over anything unused over into the next month?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by vintagewino:

I implied no such thing. Remember, this is Canada. With telecom, bend over.....

....Is there ANY plan you know of that allows you to carry over anything unused over into the next month?

I just wanted to be sure.

And my Rogers PAYG plan allows things as I explained above (top-up amounts less than $100 only add 30 more days of time to use your new total $$), so "yes" to your last question.

However, I've not yet seen a postpaid monthly nor contract plan which lets you bank unused MINUTES from previous months.

Now THAT would be useful !
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

1 edit

vintagewino

said by Davesnothere:

I just wanted to be sure.

And my Rogers PAYG plan allows things as I explained above (top-up amounts less than $100 only add 30 more days of time to use your new total $$), so "yes" to your last question.

However, I've not yet seen a postpaid monthly nor contract plan which lets you bank unused MINUTES from previous months.

Now THAT would be useful !

I've been with PC Mobility (or, PC Telecom) for over 5 years. I get a $100 card at the Supercenter when they have their tax-free day, so that saves 13% right off the top. That $100 recharge card is good for a year, once entered into the phone. I'll get another $100 card when I'm around 3 months or so from the renewal date (again, on a tax-free day), BUT won't enter it until the day before the due date. At that time, all my previous credit is added to the new $100, and I'm good to go for another year. Got the phone on a "tax-free day", as well.

I say the $100 card as the best deal, because the $25 and $50 cards only extend to 60 days' the $10 card for 30 days. Not that good.

I believe the Supercentres also carry other carriers cards as well. As I said, look up the "tax-free days".

Post-paid, no. Everything's prepaid. Sorry!

And carry-over of unused credit to the next month on a contract plan? Yeah, right. However, saying that, I do remember one smaller provider that did that. Can't remember who it was. But I think that got canned within 2 years, as I have not seen that in a long time.

Here's an interesting tip to save big time on LD fees: get one of the long distance calling cards, rather than paying the 35c/min LD charge on top of the air time. The abovementioned folks have cards for 4c/min North America. Call the 800 #, follow the prompts. A long distance phone call drops from 20c+35c=55c/min to 20c+4c=24c/min. THAT works well!!!
(Oh - forgot - all their LD card expires 6 months after 1st use. However, they start at $5. Same story with tax-free day. They can be recharged. Pay attention, as sometimes, a $20 recharge + taxes) can get you a free additional $5 credit. And all LD cards and recharges expire 6 months later, unless you recharge. Then, all as stated before ...)