StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Web slows under 'biggest attack ever'

quote:
Calling the disruptions “one of the largest computer attacks on the Internet,” the New York Times reported today that millions of ordinary web users have experienced delays in services such as Netflix video-streaming service or couldn’t reach a certain website for a short time.

»www.telegraph.co.uk/tech ··· ver.html

Over the last week or so several sites I frequent have been very slow. No idea if this is the cause or not.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

The largest known DDoS operation and I never noticed
The interwebs wins.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Pretty nasty stuff
Firm Is Accused of Sending Spam, and Fight Jams Internet
»www.nytimes.com/2013/03/ ··· ack.html

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
From the NY Times article:
quote:
...The company claims that at one point it fended off a Dutch SWAT team. “Dutch authorities and the police have made several attempts to enter the bunker by force,” the site said. “None of these attempts were successful.”
Sounds only like more TNT was needed...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

You need to "get out" more
StuartMW

StuartMW to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Or a "bunker buster"

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by dib22:

You need to "get out" more

Cmon, your really meaning to throw salt on yourself now...... I mean it had to be a slow day in Galts Gulch to come up with this thread....... yawnnnnnnnnnn

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Every day is a slow day here That's the whole point!

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

1 recommendation

Trihexagonal5

The Internet Traffic Report monitors the flow of data around the world. It then displays a value between zero and 100. Higher values indicate faster and more reliable connections.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to StuartMW

to StuartMW
It's only Spamhaus being attacked anyway.

Their listing service is utter dogshit, and trying to deal with them for anything is atrocious. Used to have to deal with these asshats years ago when their listings were horribly flawed. Nowadays people are intelligent enough to know not to use their listings.

Used to be 90% of the false positives came from them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by voxframe:

It's only Spamhaus being attacked anyway.

Their listing service is utter dogshit, and trying to deal with them for anything is atrocious. Used to have to deal with these asshats years ago when their listings were horribly flawed. Nowadays people are intelligent enough to know not to use their listings.

Used to be 90% of the false positives came from them.

That false positive claim contradicts my experience with their service. I guess I am stupid? I still use them on my server.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Blackbird:

Or a "bunker buster"

The problem isn't what in the bunker, its what is coming out of the bunker. Simple problem, simple solution, cut the network off to the building.

Blake

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Link Logger:

said by StuartMW:

said by Blackbird:

Or a "bunker buster"

The problem isn't what in the bunker, its what is coming out of the bunker. Simple problem, simple solution, cut the network off to the building.

I dunno... I still like the idea of cutting the bunker/building off of the network - permanently.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Also here
»Spam Feud Leads to Largest DDoS Ever [49] comments
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to NormanS

to NormanS
My experience with them was quite a few years ago. But it was so souring that I'll never consider them a decent organization again.

I'd rather deal with a tax auditor.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

That false positive claim contradicts my experience with their service. I guess I am stupid? I still use them on my server.

Me too. We've been using them for several years. Zero false positives and minimal false negatives. That coupled with Bayesian filtering puts my false negatives well under 1%.

That is, until last week. Over the past few days we've seen a spike in false negatives.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Gizmodo chimes in...

That Internet War Apocalypse Is a Lie

»gizmodo.com/5992652/that ··· is-a-lie

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

There are naysaysers
• »venturebeat.com/2013/03/ ··· -global/

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

More

Where Were You During the Great DDoS Cybergeddon of 2013?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
How Spamhaus’ attackers turned DNS into a weapon of mass destruction
• »arstechnica.com/informat ··· ruction/

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to StuartMW

to StuartMW
So this whole "biggest attack ever" that was threatening the entire internet turns out to be mostly a DDoS attack felt in a small part of Europe played up into some self-serving publicity by someone making money off the DDoS attack -- Cloudflare.
quote:
And if you believe what you've been told online, their head-butting is quaking the entire web. This is it. The big one. The hacks to end all hacks, a hack attack with collateral damage that reverberates 'round the globe. But once you read beyond a few scary sentences of CYBERWEBATTACKS, you might wonder:

Why wasn't my internet slow?
Why didn't anyone notice this over the course of the past week, when it began?
Why isn't anyone without a financial stake in the attack saying the attack was this much of a disaster?
Why haven't there been any reports of Netflix outages, as the New York Times and BBC reported?
Why do firms that do nothing but monitor the health of the web, like Internet Traffic Report, show zero evidence of this Dutch conflict spilling over into our online backyards?

quote:
Hours after the Times and BBC broke the "news" of our internet's artillery wounds, CloudFlare put up a breathless blog post entitled, subtly, "The DDoS That Almost Broke the Internet." Yikes! What follows is essentially a press release that would be like Pfizer telling you how horrible various diseases are, and how well their pills work against them. CloudFlare CEO Matthew Prince tells a harrowing story of warding off the internet attack after Spamhaus hired him—which is certainly true—but warns us of existential threats to the net still lurking out there, like lost Soviet nukes:
quote:
As someone in charge of DDoS mitigation at one of the Internet giants emailed me this weekend: "I've often said we don't have to prepare for the largest-possible attack, we just have to prepare for the largest attack the Internet can send without causing massive collateral damage to others. It looks like you've reached that point, so... congratulations!"

At CloudFlare one of our goals is to make DDoS something you only read about in the history books. We're proud of how our network held up under such a massive attack and are working with our peers and partners to ensure that the Internet overall can stand up to the threats it faces.
In a quote to the NYT, Prince even makes the nuclear analogy himself:
quote:
"These [DDos attacks] are essentially like nuclear bombs," said Matthew Prince, chief executive of CloudFlare. "It's so easy to cause so much damage."
This would be so terrifying if it weren't advertising. Prince, of course, is in the business of selling protection against online attacks. And his company is, as far as I can tell, pretty good at this business. But he's also clearly in the business of scaring people: in his blog post today, he warns that the Spamhaus attack "may prove to be relatively modest" compared to what comes next. Bigger nukes, I suppose.
quote:
What's not OK is a company trying to scare the internet's residents thinking they're the residents of Dresden in order to drum up business. There are plenty of scary things, people, and plots online. There are plenty of bad guys. There are plenty of attacks. There will be plenty more. If you're in the anti-hacker business, business has no signs of slowing down. So if your product is worth a damn, you shouldn't have to lie to the internet to sell it.
A bunch of social engineering to boost sales.
»gizmodo.com/5992652/that ··· is-a-lie

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

2 recommendations

KrK to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

There are few problems that can't be solved via the appropriate use of high explosives.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
DDoS attack against Spamhaus overhyped, says website watcher Keynote
»www.cso.com.au/article/4 ··· keynote/

How the Spamhaus DDoS attack could have been prevented
»news.cnet.com/8301-1009_ ··· evented/

et alia

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
of course, fatness..........we in u.s. are a non-entity............you know that ;=))
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I wonder how well a bunker buster would work on a nuclear rated bunker.

that said the bunker has to get bandwidth which can be severed, And air and air intake vents can be blocked. generator exhaust pipes can be plugged and then you cut the power to the building giving them the choice of running the generator with no fresh air intakes or coming out.

I am pretty sure if SWAT wanted in they would get in, Even if they had to use a plasma lance to get through the blast door or Thermite.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Love this part from the intro:
quote:
Here is what did not happen: the Internet did not come close to coming down, not much real impact was felt outside the victims and those in close Internet-proximity to them and we were all still able to get to pinterest and see cat pictures online. The attack was significant, but not globally so despite the media reports to the contrary. When news of the attack reached the Internet Storm Center, we did have a brief moment of panic and contemplated resorting to cannibalism. However, we quickly decided against this option (due to a combination of calmer heads prevailing and a lack of consensus on whether people could be turned into bacon).