how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sticks97687

join:2013-03-27
Fort Lauderdale, FL

[Bill] Wrongfully turned over to collection,

I'm a long time Comcast customer. I moved my service to a temporary residence after selling my house. When I purchased my new home, I tranferred my service to my new home. A comcast representative picked up my equipment from my temporary address. I paid off my balance and began service at my new residence. 6 months later, with no prior notification, I received a notice from a collection agency that I owed Comcast over $1,000.00. When I contacted comcast I was told that part of the "outstanding balance" was for service and part for equipment that was not returned. I explained that I had no outstanding balance and after further inquiry the representative acknowleged that Comcast had made an error by continuing service at the prior address contrary to my request. I was told that I was actually due a credit and that one would be issued. I was told that my claim of returning the equipment would be invesitgated. I made it clear that I was very concerned about my credit rating and was assured that my objection was in the system and that all collection efforts would cease until the matter was investigated. I was given a report number. Two months later I went in to purchase a new vehicle and discovered that Comcast had reported me to the credit bureaus which had negatively impacted my credit. When I called Comcast back I was again informed by a supervisor that Comcast owed me a credit and that my claim of returning the equipment would be investigated. When I asked why this call would be more effective than my last, I was informed that the supervisor was sending an email to my local office at that moment and that she would follow-up on my situation. Knowing this would not happen, I followed up two weeks later to find that nothing had been accomplished at all. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was assured one would return my call within 4 hours. That did not happen. I called back the next day, went through the whole story again as was AGAIN assured that supervisor Ean McAnally (who sat right next to her) would call me as soon as he was out of his meeting. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. I am again on the phone waiting to be connected to Mr. McAnally as I type this having spent another 25 minutes of what has now been over 3 hours on the phone to correct Comcast's error. I have now been told that I should be talking to the billing department rather than the customer solutions team (where I was told to call). My first two Report tickets were written in the billing department so the runaround continues. I have insisted on being put in touch with a billing department supervisor directly which I'm sure will not happen and I will have to start this fiasco all over again.

I believe it is time to file suit over Comcast's violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and find another services provider. They have again proven themselves incompetent to provide services, maintain records and resolve issues. Sadly, the courts are no more efficient than Comcast so it is unlikely I will ever get this situation resolved but I guess several more hours of my life is a small price to pay to help Comcast operate more efficiently.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
First off, when you had COMCAST pickup your equipment did you get a receipt stating that fact? DATED AND SIGNED by them? Also did you have them list the serial numbers and models of all the equipment that they picked up? If you did go down to your local COMCAST office, and show them that slip, if not till the cable boxes, and modem/emta turn up in a COMCAST warehouse somewhere, or go to get added to an account and can't b/c they are still on yours. Periodically they do audits, and things turn up, but not that often. Techs, just through them into the back of their van, and some have just kept in them in the back of their van for weeks or months, always meaning to turn them in, but b/c it requires work on their end to turn them in, it becomes a, I'll do it tomorrow, or next week type of thing. That's why it's always recommended, you turn them in to your local office, get a receipt and get them to list the model and S/N's, so that way this type of thing doesn't happen. As far as them not turning off service, that happens, usually they will split the difference, or credit your account going "OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPS". But if they also see you have outstanding equipment they are a lot less likely too. I fyou do file suit, I wish you luck, as again, they are going to want to see paperwork, and not just your word, where, when, by whom, and what was returned, listed out for the case to be take seriously. Since an old neighbor of mine had the same thing happen, a year or two ago, and didn't have a receipt, and they said, show me "hard evidence" proof, and they couldn't. Luckily a few months, later the equipment turned up and everything was reversed. I wish you luck.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to sticks97687
Instead of calling comcast, you need to call the collection agency and tell them you have been placed in error. Ask to speak to a supervisor when the first person you speak with won't accept your answer. Explain the story to the supervisor and offer to send any documentation you have.

You also need to go to the credit bureaus and file an official dispute with them, saying the same thing.
»www.experian.com/disputes/main.html
»www.transunion.com/personal-cred···tes.page
»www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/

I work in a different industry, but work with collections and use collection agencies. You will get much greater progress from contacting the agencies than you will Comcast. Further, the agencies are the ones who contact the credit bureaus, not Comcast, so going through the collection agencies is the quickest path to fixing your credit.

Ultimately,you'll need to circle back and ensure everything is resolved at the Comcast level as well.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
Comcast collection agencies isnt like other collection agencies. He needs to go thru comcast. this is way past any collection agency anyway. It should be a simple matter of showing the receipt for the equipment and comcast will issue full credits for any charges incurred. Its not to often people that disconnect actually manage to get comcast to pick up the equipment. Well not until it goes into collections that is. If the op has the pickup receipt he can walk into the local comcast office and get it credited on the spot. I would go that route as its going to be hard to produce the receipt over the phone. Any department can take care of you but none can actually do it unless the computer dates match up or you show the receipt. Care to divulge how you managed to get them to pickup the equipment when you were canceling that address?

mariod

reply to sticks97687
If he goes through comcast, then he has to wait for Comcast to update their date to the collection agency, and the agency to update its date to the credit reporting bureaus. That will literally take months.

He needs to start by disputing his credit report, then through the agencies, then comcast.

sticks97687

join:2013-03-27
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to sticks97687
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. Unfortunately, since they didn't notify me about this issue for 6 months after I moved and since the paperwork was handed to me in the middle of my move, I have not been able to find the receipt the agent handed to me. I'm also sure I did not cross reference the serial numbers from the equipment to the receipt (who does that?) so it is definitely going to be a "my word against theirs" situation. Lets see if they can produce a receipt signed by me for taking possession of equipment with those serial numbers!! I have finally gotten some attention from Comcast in getting this resolved. They have allegedly issued my credit for the wrongful continuation of service. They also admitted that they never notified me of the obligation for the equipment for 6 months and then did it by sending a bill to the old, canceled address, even though I had a new account with them at my new address. Comcast remains hopelessly inefficient.

mariod

At the risk of repeating myself, I urge you to follow the links I provided above.

If you found out about this while trying to buy a car, it is already listed on your credit report. You need to challenge that in order to get it cleaned from your credit history. It's possible that even just resolving this through your conversation with Comcast, your credit history will ultimately reflect that the debt was satisfied, which will leave a negative impact. You need to dispute the report on your credit to make sure it gets removed as having been placed in error, so that your credit will be completely repaired.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to sticks97687
You didnt need to cross reference anything. Nobody would do that. Its a simple i gave you two digital boxes and one modem type of deal. So if you had three pieces of equipment you should have three numbers listed on your receipt.

mariod

said by rody_44:

You didnt need to cross reference anything. Nobody would do that. Its a simple i gave you two digital boxes and one modem type of deal. So if you had three pieces of equipment you should have three numbers listed on your receipt.

Did you even read what he wrote? Or anything aabaaf wrote earlier?

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
I did read what he wrote. Heres what my response was to.

I'm also sure I did not cross reference the serial numbers from the equipment to the receipt (who does that?) so it is definitely going to be a "my word against

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to sticks97687
Wow, talk about timing... yesterday, I followed a Wednesday Morning Link on the home page, and ended up on the Consumerist site.

You may be interested in these articles I read yesterday (I found them edifying):

Consumerist: Comcast Doesn’t Understand The Idea Of ‘Transferring Service,’ Shuts All Of Our Services Down

Consumerist: Former Customer Claims Comcast Error Ultimately Cost Him $26,000

Consumerist: Comcast Doesn’t Understand That 42-42=0, Sends Me To Collections

Consumerist: Comcast Sends You To Collections For Bill You Already Paid

Consumerist: Comcast Sicced Collections On Me Before My Bill Was Due

After reading the above articles, if I were to find myself in this situation, I would follow mariod See Profile's advice as a pro-active measure, just in case the situation isn't resolved.

BTW - The Consumerist also references DSLReports, as one of the methods to attempt a resolution to an issue.

PS - Please remember that no matter how frustrated you are, please deal politely with the person on the other end of the conversation.

mariod

reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I did read what he wrote. Heres what my response was to.

I'm also sure I did not cross reference the serial numbers from the equipment to the receipt (who does that?) so it is definitely going to be a "my word against

You need to develop your reading comprehension skills then, because your response of "You don't have to look at the receipt" in no way has anything to do with the line you quoted, and makes no sense at all.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
"You don't have to look at the receipt
And where in my response is that? He mentioned cross referencing and i agreed nobody does that. Most people dont even know which of the numbers on the box is the one to use. Most people just go by ok you have me listed as 4 pieces of equipment and here is 4 pieces of equipment. My point is often times when equipment is picked up the serial numbers dont jive. But that it really doesnt matter as long as you have 4 numbers listed that was picked up. In other words what the hell are YOU talking about?
Comcast collection agencies along with other utility collection agencies dont work like the private sector. These collection agencies do no reporting. In fact there is no longer a collection agency involved with the ops account. So no its not the collection agencies that report it, Its comcast. I Know that to be a fact because i worked for a comcast collection agency for over ten years. The way the process works it goes to a collection agency for a period of 10 -30 days. After 30 days or so it goes back to comcast collections at which point they write the money off and report it. There is no collection agency involved anymore at all.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to sticks97687
Not having the receipt complicates it but maybe some of comcasts internal policies can prove your case. How much equipment are you talking about? Do you happen to remember if the tech that picked them up had a printed work order or did he hand write it? Whenever comcast sends a tech out they have records of what tech it was and what he did. At the end of every day every tech closes and codes a job out. Its not impossible for you to request a copy of that workorder. But keep in mind not every comcast csr has access to this info. It can be just a case of a simple circled serial number on that work order that can prove your case. Than again the simplest thing may be to just stop at your state senator and let him or her deal with it. In any case dispute the charges with the credit reporting agency its listed on. (probably not all three). Than take it up with comcast or just take a short cut and let someone else deal with it. I have found that State senators are very efficient with dealing with matters like this. Of course they get to deal with people we dont get to deal with. A State senator probably has it removed within two or three days in comcasts records. If not a senator or something take it over to the comcast direct forum. Them guys can make a phone call and get a copy of the receipt. Keep in mind when they make that phone call someone is going to be going thru boxes for a couple of hours to find it. My wife is one of the people that gets the joy of finding old work orders. I get the joy of spending the night with her after she spent half a day finding it. I have to say tho. She has never not found one.

mariod

reply to sticks97687
Just to summarize after all this nonsense: Ignore the incorrect ramblings from Rody and file a dispute with the credit bureaus at the following websites:

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Uh, that is exactly what i suggested to do first. After that step is where we disagree. You have him looking for a credit collection agency that does NOT exist and i have him contacting comcast. Care to elaborate on what step you think i was wrong on? You were the one telling him he has to contact the collection agency. I simply pointed out there is NO collection agency for him to contact.

mariod

1 edit
reply to sticks97687
Because he won't stop: Ignore the incorrect ramblings from Rody and file a dispute with the credit bureaus at the following websites:

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Ok i understand you cant find anything that was actually wrong so you just basically DP which was actually the first step i suggested anyway. If you are saying i am incorrect at least say what you think i am incorrect on so the op knows. Where you are wrong and i straight up say it is you suggest he not contact comcast and contact a credit collection agency that doesnt even exist.

mariod

I'm not going to further confuse this thread by discussing the things you are wrong about. Please stop interfering.

Ignore the incorrect ramblings from Rody and file a dispute with the credit bureaus at the following websites: