Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Correlation does not imply causation

And there's no connection here. You give a 50MB/mo user a bigger phone, they still will use 50MB/mo. The correlation is due to the fact that power users who use a lot f bandwidth are also buying the high end phones which, in this case, happen to have giant screens.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 edit

InvalidError

said by BiggA:

And there's no connection here. You give a 50MB/mo user a bigger phone, they still will use 50MB/mo.

You do not need to be a "power user" to appreciate watching streaming videos more on a 5" screen than a 4" screen. Personally, I would not watch video or do much on anything smaller than 7" and my Nexus7 is pretty much the largest screen I can fit in my pockets.

There is also the question of why your 50MB/month user is using only 50MB/month... 50MB in many cases isn't even enough for one Youtube video or one application update... 50MB is little more than a few dozen page views. Someone using less than 50MB/month WiFi+3G/4G is hardly using their smartphone/tablet at all.

Carriers charging $10-20/GB certainly does not help with promoting mobility.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Only the extreme heavy users are streaming over cellular though, other than maybe a short YouTube video, which is fine on a 3.5" phone.

Most people don't use YouTube or update applications on cellular. Applications can wait for Wifi. The user is question does email, maps, and occasional web.

The carriers aren't hurting anything, as even heavy use is well below 2GB/mo, with the exception of streaming radio, but there are ways to control that as well.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

Do note that the article is about WiFi + cell data, not cell data alone.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Same principle applies.