spc
Search similar:

uniqs
abard
join:2013-03-27

abard

[connectivity] DSL low Latency & High Ping (Wiring issue w/ old

Click for full size
Hi guys and this is my first post - I've already read through a lot of the forums with questions/answers but I can't find my unique situation.

First of all I'm in IT and not Telecom so sometimes I'm a bit naive about certain abbreviations so please be kind.

My issue is a high latency and high ping on a new Verizon DSL line. The modem I first used was 6100G and now an Actiontec. All the modems we use are bridged so I couldn't get stats off of it, but I can connect a non-bridged modem and get stats if you so desire.

The steps I have take so far to resolve this are;
1. Changed Modem (3 different kinds, first 6100G then 2 different Actiontecs)

2. Check the blue pair for continuity (test came back fine).

3. This is a "homerun" so no splitters are being used and nothing is on the line.

4. I punched down the blue pair in a new jack (everything is terminated at the patch panel) just in case it was faulty.

5. We have Verizon come out and run a test up to the demarcation point and everything came back normal.

6. Can an internet test and found some issues that they couldn't pinpoint.

I wanted to punch down another pair at the D-mark but i don't seem to have the proper punch down tool. I've only used a 66 and 110 but this is a bit different. [included an image of the demark]

Basically this is an old building we are taking over and I'm not sure if I should just run a new line or punch down a different pair. I put a packet analyzer on our static IP and it returned an average of 5% packet loss with 250ms ping, which was over the course of 3 days. We are just having terrible service. Do you have any suggestions on which tool I need for this particular demark or is it just worth it to run a new line?

Also our line is towards the bottom, the green/yellow, green --> blue/white, blue

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Re: [connectivity] DSL low Latency & High Ping (Wiring issue w/

While you say you can't get the stats from a modem combo that is set so that it does (Note: called bridge-bridge mode in a Westell 6100) not handle the public IP:

#1 I point you to my thread at

»Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

#2 Read the whole thread, since I know you will find it interesting,
abard

abard

First, thank you for the quick response.

I did read the thread but I also didn't include our network setup.

The way our network works is:
2 ISPs (Verizon DSL & Time Warner Cable)

1 VOIP (Star2Star)

1 Hardware Fireware (SonicWALL TZ 215)

1 Un-managed Switch

Verizon is the Primary Connection to SonicWALL
TWC is primary connection to Star2Star

SonicWALL manages the DHCP for our network while Star2Star Manages our VLAN which is our VOIP service.

I wouldn't be able to get on the same subnet as the modem, since it doesn't have a subnet. I will post modem stats tomorrow after I connect a regular DSL modem and get into it as normal. We are getting a new cat5e run from dmark to server area so hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't, then I will update this thread. If everything is right then I will just close it.

However, any and all input is highly appreciated.
abard

abard to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
Also, as a side note. I am working for a business that is working primarily the entire time with internet so I cannot exactly take down the modem to change settings such as give it an IP and set to bridge mode without disturbing the whole network.

I was hoping for a solution without having to do that since its frankly a big "No, No" since if something goes wrong and failover kicks in, reports have to be filed and half a day is spent explaining the cause. But once again, if its unavoidable then so it shall be.

I will post modem stats tomorrow as soon as I get a chance, or today later on in the night when it slows down.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by abard:

Also, as a side note. I am working for a business that is working primarily the entire time with internet so I cannot exactly take down the modem to change settings such as give it an IP and set to bridge mode without disturbing the whole network.

I was hoping for a solution without having to do that since its frankly a big "No, No" since if something goes wrong and failover kicks in, reports have to be filed and half a day is spent explaining the cause.

Clearly you are missing some thing (or things).

#1 If you switch from a modem combo that is not setup to use a public IP to a non-bridged modem (one that is setup is use the public IP), that will bring down your DSL Internet Connection.

#2 Also you can only have one DSL modem powered up for a given a phone line/number, at a time.

Example(s).

a) If you have only 610-868-0000, you can only have one modem turned on and connected to that phone line.

b) If you have 610-868-0000 and 610-868-0001, you can one modem on 610-868-0000 and the other on 610-868-0001.
abard

abard

#1 If you switch from a modem combo that is not setup to use a public IP to a non-bridged modem (one that is setup is use the public IP), that will bring down your DSL Internet Connection.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I went from a 6100G to an Actiontec. Both modems were bridged by me, both are receiving a connection, just the connection is poor.

#2 Also you can only have one DSL modem powered up for a given a phone line/number, at a time.

We are using 1 DSL line and 1 Cable line (time Warner Cable) so we do not have 2 DSL lines, if that's what you mean.

I will try to get all the information from the modem tomorrow morning to post so you can see the stats and so I can compare to some of the forums here.

Also, we ran a new line and we are getting the same issues =(

jerryjam
@verizon.net

jerryjam

Anon

that is a krone block. u could just make a connection with a small screwdriver and push the wires in that way. is the vz term at that same location? could u input you static ip into the 6100 and wire it at the demarc and test to it with a laptop? then you could at least prove it good there and isolate it between vz and your equipment.