spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tgp1994

join:2010-10-06

Looking at buying - Speeds drop when I enter my area?

Hi everyone,

I was just window shopping at Comcast's website today. We had them a few years back and may have them as our ISP yet again. Looking at their speed offerings, I saw 50/10 for their Blast! offering. However, when I entered my street address just to see what was available, the speeds for that exact same tier dropped by 60%, to 30/6. That's a lot considering the price didn't drop by a single penny (I'm looking at the price after promotion (~$75) on both occasions).

What is this? Is it because Comcast is adjusting for older equipment in my neighborhood? Or are they not even trying to hide the fact that they can gouge customers in areas with little competition? Coincidentally, our U-Verse bill has been jumping up... Strange, since they did enter our neighborhood just a few years ago (unless this is a part of the great push to cable).

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
call.

Shinrin

join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL
reply to tgp1994
it could be because the speed updates haven't rolled out for your area yet. the site list for a default area then when you put in your address it list for the area your in.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tgp1994
I have always found their web site to be a little wonky. It always seems to be in a state of flux and change. Therefore I just use it as a reference.

Some of my better information and transactions have been by phone over the years. Both for different locations and different states.

I do not do chat and do not recommend it. One time to complete an online self install HSI order had to do some chat, got it done for the correct price, but to me it was a waste of time. That was my first and last time. It appeared to me that those on chat do not have the same tools available as those you call on the phone.

hth

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Shinrin
said by Shinrin:

it could be because the speed updates haven't rolled out for your area yet. the site list for a default area then when you put in your address it list for the area your in.

Yep, that was my first response as well. They are showing the "old" Blast speeds, and not all areas have completed updating.

Also however, as was mentioned, sometimes Comcast offering info gets muddled up, and not surprising when they are in the midst of ramping up speeds for the performance/blast/extreme tiers. Best to call and ask to ascertain what speeds really are currently available in your are.
--
Deeds, not words

tgp1994

join:2010-10-06
reply to tgp1994
Sounds like calling is the best solution. That will be my method for purchasing if/when we do switch.

Thanks everyone!