spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin

[Caps] Comcast to re-enforce data caps after speed upgrade

So a friend of mine talked to comcast today and was told that after the internet speeds we're done upgrading, that the 300 GB cap would be put in place.

But the thing is the thing was a bit different than what we we're told before.

AT 300 GB they give you a warning, and at 500 GB the could cut your net off.

I'm not sure if this information is correct or not seeing as a friend told me this after talking to comcast.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I don't think there has been anything official about when, or maybe even if, the cap will be restored. Comcast is supposedly testing several options. One is basically similar to what was there, but with a higher cap. The other is charging in chunks of several G when you go over a limit.
DJboutit
join:2009-12-10
Columbia, MO

DJboutit to Shinrin

to Shinrin
Here is my idea for the cap 250gb for the 2 lowest plans and all higher plans 400gb or 450gb

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog to Shinrin

Anon

to Shinrin
I don't like the idea of caps...but @500 GB how many hours of netflix would you have to watch to hit it? 500GB is a lot.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

said by Demog :

I don't like the idea of caps...but @500 GB how many hours of netflix would you have to watch to hit it? 500GB is a lot.

It's not just Netflix or other streaming media. Other things like games and movies are widely distributed digitally. Make it a family with teenagers and you got today's normal usage.

I want caps to just go away, but of course that's not beneficial to ISP's bottom line. Caps is something to worry about and is why it will hinder technological advancement. I just want to use my online services and not worry if I will use too much. That sounds insane.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to Shinrin

MVM

to Shinrin
said by Shinrin:

So a friend of mine talked to comcast today and was told that after the internet speeds we're done upgrading, that the 300 GB cap would be put in place.

But the thing is the thing was a bit different than what we we're told before.

Officially, we have not been told anything on what caps would end up being...before, or now. There's a couple of test markets, and even what they have tested may or may not resemble the final policy. Comcast has never said otherwise.

The problem with this stuff is who was your friend talking to, and how much "in the know" was that employee?

Where I work, this kind of unqualified information is just that...unqualified. I used to deal with calls from clients all the time stating that "One of your other employees told me..." Often, from a fellow employee who had no knowledge whatsoever about my department's proceedures and requirements. Just because they work for my company, does not necessarily mean that they know all current or pending policies. Sometimes folks just want to answer someone's question, to appear friendly or knowlegeable.

I would not get too happy...or upset about Comcast's cap plan...until they actually announce it. Anything else is just sheer speculation. Of course, I would be happier yet if they just never get around to re-introducing one...