join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to happy4ya

MVM

to happy4ya

Re: Anyone Know Who Makes These?

A few things:

1. The 1.1 shown on the board might not indicate USB 1.1, but instead PCB revision 1.1. The silkscreening text location brings into question whether or not its PCB revision or protocol layer support.

2. The product itself is extremely cheap -- what you see there are what are called glob-top chips, which is an extremely cheap way to get an IC onto a PCB without actually doing manual soldering. The IC is placed on the PCB at a very specific location (to align its pins with traces on the board), then a special resin is poured over and let to cool. This means that who made the ICs and what model number they have is unknown.

A USB descriptor dump *might* disclose the product and vendor IDs of the underlying ICs, but they could also be 0xffff. If you could provide a descriptor dump, that would be helpful.

3. CNet has reviewed this device and stated that it does USB 2.0. Whether or not they got the exact same product as you is unknown.

4. I believe the company that makes these devices is GGI International ("GGI"); their US office is in New Jersey.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya

Premium Member

said by koitsu:

A few things:

The 1.1 shown on the board might not indicate USB 1.1, but instead PCB revision 1.1. The silkscreening text location brings into question whether or not its PCB revision or protocol layer support.

I thought about this too. Not really sure what the 1.1 means.
said by koitsu:

A USB descriptor dump *might* disclose the product and vendor IDs of the underlying ICs, but they could also be 0xffff. If you could provide a descriptor dump, that would be helpful.

Once I figure out how to do this I will. Time to start Googling.
said by koitsu:

CNet has reviewed this device and stated that it does USB 2.0. Whether or not they got the exact same product as you is unknown.

That is the same hub, same model, same place I bought it from too and not far off from around the time I got mine.
said by koitsu:

I believe the company that makes these devices is GGI International ("GGI"); their US office is in New Jersey.

I see they are in Passaic, NJ. I work in hospitals around there all the time. May have to stop by if they have a walk-in facility.