uniqs
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Mobile data - hotspot or data stick?

A older relative of mine recently suffered a severe accident and will be in a convalescent hospital for about 8 weeks. He's using his iPad on the facilities patient WiFi network but needs to use Outlook on his laptop but they are port blocking 995 & 465 and will not unblock those ports.

I need to get him his own HSPA or LTE data connection.

Wind has no signal in the facility, so I'm forced to consider ROBELLUS for his NO CONTRACT use for about 2 months. The incumbents all have decent signal in the facility.

So my questions are these:
a) Should I get him a hotspot or a data stick?
b) Which incumbent should I choose for that short a period?
c) Is there a hotspot/data stick that covers incumbent & new entrant AWS frequencies, ie. a frequency portable device?
d) Anything else you can think of?

Functionality/reliability is favoured over price as I will be supporting him from a distance, and I really want it to work correctly & easily from Day 1.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Just grab a cheap VPS (SSH port forwarding or VPN, they start at $5 a month, a good provider would be $20) and bounce around the issue for way less hassle than signing up for a data stick... a VPN provider would work too.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I hear you.

But he's also thinking that having a hotspot/stick would be a decent idea for him generally when he travels later.

Rogers has a sort of decent deal (for an incumbent) right now on their Flex Rate Data - for two months there are no overage fees...... which means he could get the $5/10Mb plan and consume 50GB for $5.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
Well, if there is no overage for two months (and bloody hell I wish I could get THAT deal during Otakuthon when unlimited data on an LTE stick would save us thousands of dollars), that might be a nice option for you. But you got the math wrong, you would pay $40 for 50GB, because no overages means when you hit the $40 tier you would not start paying the $10/GB overage.

I'm serious, if that offer was still available in July, I would probably buy at least another three Rogers LTE USB sticks (we already have one) and get them all on that plan, and I would still SAVE a ton of money doing it.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Yeah, got the math wrong.....but still a decent deal for somebody who is mostly bedridden and doesn't stream movies.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

I know of someone that got the "R" wireless hotspot. It behaves quite well. For $200 + taxes (included SIM & no activation fee). And you own the hardware.

The tiers are less than ideal:

$5 is for 10 Meg. For all intents and purposes, that's called "standby"
$10 is for 100 Meg. Very light use.
$20 is for 500 Meg. I'll be interested to see how that goes.
$40 is for 5 Gig.
Add $10/Gig above 5 GB.

Realistically, he would be looking at the $40/month. To stay at $20 (500 MB), one would have to be very careful.

If you get it on the 2 year contract (your hardware cost = $0):
$25 for 200Meg
$45 for 3GB
$65 for 6GB
$85 for 10GB
Add $10/GB thereupon after.

The stick is for pretty well for one computer (USB)
You can tie several computers into the hotspot (wireless).

Price difference stick to hotspot: $30 more for the spot.

Far easier to move the hotspot around, in case where the person is, he might need to get nearer to a window for a better signal. Difficult to do with a stick.

Some observations noted from a friend who got one less than a month ago.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Thanks for the observations

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Also something to be considered is upgrading to an iPad with 3G/LTE built in, if that's all he uses for internet.

Always mobile with no extra pieces to lug around, and free to choose from plans from the big 3 at will, as the device is not locked as the hotspots/datasticks are from the carriers.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

He uses/needs Outlook & some other apps for his business, so an iPad is a non-starter for all his needs.

Convenience is more important to him than cheapness so I think I'm going to arrange for a Rogers hotspot device for him.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
The iPad can use the same Exchange server as Outlook, and there's Outlook Web Access that works on the iPad. There is also a native app version of Outlook coming to iOS soon. Failing that, there's remote desktop :P