Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

[Phish] Possible scam from job posting (craigslist)

I responded to an ad on CL for a local driver's job. Since it had no details, I only emailed a response asking for more details about the job without revealing anything other than email address.

Received a response that to me flags it as a phish attempt or one of those get a check for too much money and forward the unused balance from your account to 3rd party scam.

I don't have time to play with this one now. Does someone want to or should I just notify CL so they can pull the ad?

The "story" in the response is some guy working out of state is looking for a chauffeur to drive his mom to her local appointments. Where it falls apart is:
1. claims it's full time 8 hrs/day 5 days/week job.
2. job will provide the car, a new Porsche Panamera!
3. job pays $20/hr (no way... not where I live)
4. response ends with almost begging me to take the job.
5. I will receive salary and "extra funds" that need to be forwarded to the agency delivering the car.
6. Asks for full name as it appears on checks, address, age, phone numbers, sex.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Why not post the obfuscated email address here AND notify CL to pull the ad? Any replies he gets he may figure were from people who saw it before it was pulled.

shortckt
Premium
Tenant Hell
reply to shortckt
Ok I have a few minutes now so:

The ad:
quote:
Prof. Driver
For immediate consideration.
Requirements:
Minimum of 12 months driving experience.
Must not have had a DWI, DUI, drug convictions or a positive drug test in the past 3 years.
Must not have any felony convictions in the past 3 years.
Must have no more than 2 preventable accidents/incidents in the past 3 years.
Must have no more than 2 moving violations in the past 3 years.

Contact us at evet200 (at) live.com

All the relevant text in the ad that I provided above was in an image taken from one of those stock photo sites. The only other text was what CL puts in and the email address.

Notified CL and they recently removed it.

Email response:

quote:
Thanks for the email and interest in the driving job. I do hope you are a serious applicant regarding this position and I'm looking forward to having a good working reference with you at the end. My name is John Fortune. I'm a drilling Engineer and I am presently working on an oil rig in Texas. I am seeking a driver for my old Mom ( A retired Registered Nurse ). She just moved to Los Angeles, and she's really in need of a good driver that would be driving her around the city to get various items, Doctor Appointments and other appointments. I have been busy with work. I will like to let you know that this is a permanent job, it could also be temporal depending on your schedule. This job is 40 hour work week guarantee ( Mon- Fri ) 9am-5pm daily. our expectations are neat appearance (Black suit and ties are required sometimes) have strong customer service skills, be proactive and have a good attitude.You are required to be dependable, dedicated, honest, loyal and trustworthy. I am willing to provide a 2012 Porsche Panamera car. You will be offered $20.00/hr and you will be working for 5 days in a week for 8 hours ( 9am-5pm ) each day. I would be sending you extra funds, that would cover a week's salary and the balance would go to the Mover's Agency that would bring the car (2012 Porsche Panamera car) over to you. It will be greatly appreciated if you accept this offer. I will look forward to having a better service from you. Kindly get back with the information below:

Full Name on Check:
Residential Address in full:
Apt #:
City:
State:
Zip Code :
Phone number ( Cell & Home ):

I would be waiting for your reply.

Regards,

John

Expand your moderator at work

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to shortckt

Re: [Phish] Possible scam from job posting (craigslist)

what kind of job is a temporal job?

This absolutely makes no sense at all. Of course i smell scam all over it, but I'd like to know what he'd have to say if I asked certain questions. Like....since it's 9-5, will I be driving the whole time? will his "old mom" have appointments all day every day so you can get paid for $20 an hour? why drive her around in a car like this? wouldnt it be more comfy in something else? if it has to be a porshe, okay then maybe the SUV (Cayenne)? sounds to me he wants you to dress like a butler or something lol

If i had the time I'd love to bait this one, I really have never seen anything like this and would like to know what the angle is
--
| map your city |
Expand your moderator at work

shortckt
Premium
Tenant Hell

2 recommendations

reply to pcdebb

[Phish] Possible scam from job posting (craigslist)

said by pcdebb:

what kind of job is a temporal job?
I really have never seen anything like this and would like to know what the angle is

"Temporal job" that must be the part where the employee travels between different timelines. Maybe his Porsche has been specially equipped with temporal drive... and a flux capacitor! Why not go all out and offer a DeLorean?

The scam? I think this quote sums it all up:

quote:
I would be sending you extra funds, that would cover a week's salary and the balance would go to the Mover's Agency that would bring the car (2012 Porsche Panamera car) over to you.
I could see a requirement to dress in a business suit though. There are several limo services in Los Angeles whose drivers dress like that. I can tell you they don't make anywhere near $20/hour, even driving to Beverly Hills. $10~12 maybe.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I wondered when Section 31 would show up in this timeline.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to shortckt
I have a friend down in Spartanburg, S.C. uses Craigslists to advertise for employees for their business. It is a auto repair, but also works with banks and lenders to clean up repo's, deliver them to buyers or even go pick them up from the holding yard that the bank or lender has them at, to bring them back to their shop.

Her only problem is, is finding people that want to stick around with the job.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Whatever the point of your post was -
some jobs whether for working conditions, lack of management etc... are not worth sticking around for.
A constant turnover is more indicative of an employers failure than it is of the employees.

Metsyszero

join:2013-04-27
Clinton Township, MI
reply to shortckt
I came across this job ad on craigslist last week and sent Mr. Fortune an inquiry email for more details. What I received back from him was the exact same response that you have posted here...but with one exception. Apparently, Johns mother has a hard time staying in one place for too long. It appears as though only a few short weeks after you posted his email, "Mother Fortune" decided to move from L.A. out here to Detroit, MI. So, even if this is real, there's no job security like was described in the email, cuz "Ma" gets around.

Always keep in mind that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Thanks for the heads up on this potential scam.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Metsyszero:

It appears as though only a few short weeks after you posted his email, "Mother Fortune" decided to move from L.A. out here to Detroit, MI. So, even if this is real, there's no job security like was described in the email, cuz "Ma" gets around.

too funny
--
| map your city |

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
reply to shortckt
said by shortckt:

I would be sending you extra funds, that would cover a week's salary and the balance would go to the Mover's Agency that would bring the car (2012 Porsche Panamera car) over to you.

That right there is the scam. You'll get a check with too much money, cash it, then send it to the "Mover's Agency" probably via Western Union. Then a week later you'll be notified it was a fake check or stolen and be on the hook for it and he'll have the money since you can't retrieve funds via WU.

Just another variation of the "sell a car but i'm in Africa/Europe/Guam/Mars" scam.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to shortckt
I believe this is a photo of John Fortune

shortckt
Premium
Tenant Hell
said by dib22:

I believe this is a photo of John Fortune

I think it looks like him alright... and aptly named too, since he will be the one to end up with someone else's fortune thanks to this scam!