how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GeorgeBurger

join:2011-12-30
kudos:2

VMedia Launches

I am going to stick my neck out here and state unequivocally that our new site will be up and running, and our soft launch will be official, at 230PM today. Or else you can refer to me as the late George Burger.

We look forward to your comments...about everything.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

My comments are that I want it on TekSavvy, and I want it in Quebec :P

On a more serious note, there are probably a few channels missing that would stop me from switching from Videotron (I'm betting you don't have Military, for example), but I'm paying Videotron like $70 a month for a service that I watch maybe once or twice a week!

For television service today, you are forced to pay for selection rather than usage. So somebody who wants a good selection but doesn't watch much, they have to pay $$$ to get the selection and then not use it much. I wish there was a pay-per-hour option, but I don't think the station licensing is compatible with that.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger

I am with Distributel Cable for internet in London. We still have Rogers basic cable/analog for our 3 tv's. 2 HD & 1 SD. I want to get rid of Rogers(Have Wind mobile for my cell phone). When approx will this be rolled out to London, ON? 3 months? 6 months? Thanks in advance! Cheers! Hope everything goes swimmingly! :P! !

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

It's unlikely that Distributel will allow you to get VMedia IPTV, because Distributel also has their own competing IPTV service.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

OK, the countdown clock is currently ticking down from 0 to 0 to 0 over and over :P Time to refresh.

EDIT: It's not ticking down from 0 anymore, just sitting at 0 static, but no other updates. What's going on, Mr. The Late George Burger :P
--

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON

now it's broken

Expand your moderator at work

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia Launches

Hmm, the way VMedia bundles makes them much more expensive than Videotron to try to get the same channels I have now (even ignoring ones I don't watch)... To get the equivalent of Videotron's package that I have, I'd need from VMedia:

Premium Basic: $39.95
Style/Living: $11.95
Kids Pack: $9.95
Knowledge: $8.95
Movies: $7.95
Entertainment: $10.95
Subtotal: $89.70 per month

For most of those packages there is only one or two channels I want, but I have to buy the whole thing... and no word on which of those are HD.

Compare this to Videotron's package for the same thing:

HD Basic + The Anglo + 10 a-la-carte + fees = $59.97 (that's my bill, I think a new subscriber is going to be about a dollar more).

So, if VMedia will cost me an extra $30 a month and would still be missing channels, that's a pretty damned tough sell

EDIT: If anybody is curious what my +10 a-la-carte are, direct from my Videotron bill PDF: "(SPIKE/COMED/CITY/MYSTY/H2/G4TEC/BBCC/
DEJAV/MILT/OMNI1)"

I originally had basic + 30 a-la-carte + 5 a-la-carte, but the "anglo + 10" came out cheaper than the "30 + 5" and got me a few extra channels to boot.

EDIT2: Videotron's a-la-carte options are priced at about $1 per channel regardless of channel, with only a few premium channels excluded (typically those like HBO that have their own single-channel package). Only Videotron's $20/mth basic package is mandatory, plus the fees ($5.98) plus the 1% CRTC fee ($0.60 for me).
--

GeorgeBurger

You are absolutely right it would be, but two things, one, we will be adding our UChoose pick a pack with over 40 channels to start in a couple of weeks, and about 60 standalones, and two, you are in Quebec, which is a wholeother world because you have an all-pick a pack environment, right? For now we are not in Quebec, and we will be developing an entirely different offering for that market to be able to compete with Videotron, Bell and Cogeco there.Stay tuned.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3

Out of curiosity, do you have any ETA for Quebec?

GeorgeBurger

Nine to twelve months.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

said by GeorgeBurger:

You are absolutely right it would be, but two things, one, we will be adding our UChoose pick a pack with over 40 channels to start in a couple of weeks, and about 60 standalones, and two, you are in Quebec, which is a wholeother world because you have an all-pick a pack environment, right? For now we are not in Quebec, and we will be developing an entirely different offering for that market to be able to compete with Videotron, Bell and Cogeco there.Stay tuned.

Sort of. I'm not sure about what Bell does, although I believe their Quebec and Ontario packages/prices are very similar with only minor differences. For Videotron, customers have basically two choices. They can either go the traditional route, where you buy things in big packages (like "basic" and "anglo"), or you can pay for an a-la-carte package, where for example you would pay $30 for the ability to pick any 30 channels Videotron offers.

It's a trade-off. The a-la-carte comes out to $1 per channel usually, but the packages typically average out to less than $1 per channel. So you potentially get more channels per dollar in a package, but less flexibility. As a customer you need to gauge if a package would give you more channels you want than the cost of buying the channels one by one.

In my case, I started out with (on top of basic) a 30+5 option (where I could pick any 35 channels), but it turned out that it was cheaper for me to get the "anglo" pack and then a 10-channel a-la-carte pack to get the extra stuff the "anglo" pack was missing.

So yes, the Quebec market does seem very different. My assumption is that Rogers in Ontario had something similar to Videotron's thing where you can select individual channels you want.
--

ispwho

@sunwave.com.br
reply to GeorgeBurger

It's unfortunately also more expensive than rogers the VIP package when you build a comparable package. Hopefully that Uchoose package makes it more competitive.

George: Can you tell us a bit more about the ISP? Is this in house? Resold from another IISP? technical details? Any plans to offer 50/10 FTTN service? I'm interested but I really like my current ISP would need to know I could expect similar performance.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

It's unlikely that Distributel will allow you to get VMedia IPTV, because Distributel also has their own competing IPTV service.

But the good news is, he should be able to switch to a different ISP and get it. No?

*Looks at watch*
Anyone has a guillotine handy for George?

Not4QC

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Hmm, the way VMedia bundles makes them much more expensive than Videotron to try to get the same channels I have now (even ignoring ones I don't watch)... To get the equivalent of Videotron's package that I have, I'd need from VMedia:

Premium Basic: $39.95
Style/Living: $11.95
Kids Pack: $9.95
Knowledge: $8.95
Movies: $7.95
Entertainment: $10.95
Subtotal: $89.70 per month

Yup. I have the +25 (or is it the +30?). I don't even know wtf I pay for. One of those. And it's less than what you pay Guspaz. And half the price than what I would pay with Vmedia.

I have a bundle price though, plus they knocked off a couple of fee's because I complained and got some retention offer. Anyhow, I have more than you and pay a good 20$ less than you.

I can't see them coming to Quebec with those prices or even with packages.

Guess this is an Ontario thing only and it will stay that way unless they make changes in the future.

But hey! It's a choice, and it looks like it could be a good choice. Thumbs up to you and Vmedia George. @ 24$ (plus free for 3 months) you can't go wrong.

I look forward to seeing some positive reviews from people out there to gauge what they think of it. Don't worry about the start-up bumps. It's expected.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

So yes, the Quebec market does seem very different. My assumption is that Rogers in Ontario had something similar to Videotron's thing where you can select individual channels you want.

Nope. There's a very small number of channels available a la carte, but nothing like what Videotron does. Bell's offerings outside of Quebec are also completely different than what they offer in Quebec.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to GeorgeBurger

Yes, my Videotron prices are TV-only. I do not have any other services from Videotron, and so do not qualify for any bundle discounts. I also have not gotten any retention deals because I haven't seen any better options from other providers yet that I can threaten them with (although I suppose I could try the "I don't watch much, cut me a deal or I'm gone" thing).

I did once call in to try to argue against the CRTC fee when they added it. Called up, complained that this fee was NOT required and that I should not be charged for it (it's supposed to be included in their pricing). They offered to remove it for me for the first month, but only because they hadn't given me the legally required 30-days notice. So no luck there either.
--

GeorgeBurger

reply to ispwho

You may be figuring that because we have not launched our Premium Basic service. I am pretty certain, if you get that for $39.90, with the $33 you have in your pocket to spend as you like, you will get the balance of the channels you want and more. That will be available in 4-6 weeks.

GeorgeBurger

reply to hm

said by hm :

said by Guspaz:

But the good news is, he should be able to switch to a different ISP and get it. No?

*Looks at watch*
Anyone has a guillotine handy for George?

Hey...we were lit a half hour ago.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Yes, my Videotron prices are TV-only. I do not have any other services from Videotron, and so do not qualify for any bundle discounts. I also have not gotten any retention deals because I haven't seen any better options from other providers yet that I can threaten them with (although I suppose I could try the "I don't watch much, cut me a deal or I'm gone" thing).

I did once call in to try to argue against the CRTC fee when they added it. Called up, complained that this fee was NOT required and that I should not be charged for it (it's supposed to be included in their pricing). They offered to remove it for me for the first month, but only because they hadn't given me the legally required 30-days notice. So no luck there either.

I just spoke with Videotron after I saw your post and they told me that the basic package is mandatory. That I cannot drop it and just go a la carte.....

GeorgeBurger

reply to ispwho

Hi

We get our DSL directly from Bell, and we get cable through another ISP, CIKTel. WE do look forward to our own TPIA deal soon with Rogers.And yes, Alexei and I were just talking about offering higher speeds.We will look into it.Right now we were focused on killer comparables, matching our Basic + internet with similar offers which show compelling value on our side, so for example Bell's Basic plus 6Mbps service clocks in at over $80 on a recurring basis, with contract, while you get something similar from VMedia for under $60, plus no contracts and no limits. But I take your point.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to GeorgeBurger

said by GeorgeBurger:

You may be figuring that because we have not launched our Premium Basic service.

The one thing I didn't notice right away was that a bunch of the channels are in the Premium Basic and then again in the theme packs. I was beyond what Bell was charging me for the same channels until I noticed that. It was still more expensive than what I get on a retentions deal, though not by much and without the annual retentions dance. Hopefully the UChoose stuff will change that.

Beyond making that more clear, I also found the info on the VBox page lacking (like available outputs, cost, etc). The UI screenshots are hard to see as well. And can you have more than 1?

I'd also add a whole-home PVR to the wishlist for the future :P

All academic for me, though, as you're not available in Ottawa yet.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to rednekcowboy

said by rednekcowboy:

I just spoke with Videotron after I saw your post and they told me that the basic package is mandatory. That I cannot drop it and just go a la carte.....

Yes, the basic package for $20 is always required. For one thing, it contains all the mandatory carriage stuff. Onto that you can add something like the +30 a-la-carte option.
--
Expand your moderator at work

GeorgeBurger

reply to bt

Re: VMedia Launches

BT thanks for your input I will pass it right on. And hopefully you won't have long to wait in Ottawa.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4
reply to GeorgeBurger

Yikes! Those prices are out of this world crazy.... expensive !

George, I don't know how and when you'll enter Quebec market, but if you keep those prices, you won't get any subscribers with those prices!

A most obvious example :

The Movie Network (5 channels) with HBO receives 9.09$ per subscriber per month (2011).
MEncore receives 1.31$/subscriber/month (2011).

Vidéotron offers TMN for 16$ : »www.videotron.com/residential/te···-and-hbo
Bell Fibe offers TMN+MEncore for 15$ : »fibetv.bell.ca/global/resources/···20130212

You offer TMN alone for 18$, MEncore alone for 8$ (WHAT?), and TMN+MEncore for 20$.

Outrageous.
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to GeorgeBurger

Sigh... I was very optimistic that these IPTV competitors would bring us an alternative to the incumbent providers. The packages that Vmedia and Acanac are offering is more expensive than what I would pay with Rogers and I would be missing channels, and my internet experience would degrade as well.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to GeorgeBurger

Looks like this is a no go for me. Too bad, I was really hoping to jump ship from Rogers.

No PVR by the sounds of it, no Dolby Digital on the HD channels, and more expensive than Rogers or Bell. All these damn internet apps, which I couldn't give a rats arse about. I have a smart phone and a tablet within arms reach, and a computer within 25 steps. Why can't TV just be about watching TV?

Too bad.

GeorgeBurger

reply to En Enfer

Hi En Fer, again remember we are not in Quebec yet, and in Ontario we are cheaper than the competition for those brands. More importantly when you combine those brands with our $24.95 basic we are 25% cheaper.So, maybe not so outrageous, right?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

said by GeorgeBurger:

Hi En Fer, again remember we are not in Quebec yet, and in Ontario we are cheaper than the competition for those brands. More importantly when you combine those brands with our $24.95 basic we are 25% cheaper.So, maybe not so outrageous, right?

Your basic package maybe cheaper than Bell and Rogers but if you compare the mid and high end package from Bell/Rogers with your offerings, most consumers would end up paying more with Vmedia and would likely be missing a few channels too.