Search similar:

uniqs
mkay
join:2008-04-13
Kingston, ON

mkay to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia Launches

I emailed sales because I was interested in the iptv option. They said I couldn't use my own cable modem unless it was inactive for 2 weeks. I could rent one with a deposit of $60 with a $15 shipping fee until I could use my own modem. I would also need to pay a full $65 activation fee when I already have the same tier internet installed through teksavvy so no technition would need to visit.

That is hitting upfront $250 for the first month before even adding any tv stuff.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by mkay:

I emailed sales because I was interested in the iptv option. They said I couldn't use my own cable modem unless it was inactive for 2 weeks. I could rent one with a deposit of $60 with a $15 shipping fee until I could use my own modem. I would also need to pay a full $65 activation fee when I already have the same tier internet installed through teksavvy so no technition would need to visit.

That is hitting upfront $250 for the first month before even adding any tv stuff.

Those costs would be the same no matter who you switched to, AFAIK and the modem thing is out of their control, however they are nice enough to loan you a modem.

I don't understand what your point is....
mkay
join:2008-04-13
Kingston, ON

mkay to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
The point is if they want more people like myself to switch then they need to bring that upfront price down. I never heard of that modem issue with wholesalers before this. Also they aren't being that "nice" asking for a full deposit and a shipping fee that is 25% the cost of the modem.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

Hi Mkay, I couldn't agree with you more, the upfront charges are definitely hard to swallow. And it is possible we might one day get to a level of margin and profitability where we could afford to invest a modem and the install fee in a new customer, but of course the chances are the recurring price savings you get joining us would not be so attractive. There are as we all know, no free lunches.

The fact is that unlike many other ISPs, and TV services, we make virtually nothing on our hardware. Definitely nothing on equipment we get from third parties like modems, and a bit, though in my view not enough to compensate for our R&D and value add, on our unique and truly extraordinary VBox.

And as we have made plenty clear before, we make nothing on the install.

The reason we offer to loan a modem is because we assume you don't want to be without service during the period we both might have to wait for Teksavvy or another independent ISP to release the modem. That wait could be up to two weeks in our experience.

And the install is just Rogers', or another incumbents, way of saying they still love you. Transfers between indies with Rogers always entail an install fee. Nice work if you can get it. So that is the long and short of it.

Not sure how you got to $250, that number would include your payment for service which I assume there is no objection to. $65 for the install fee, and $15 for the shipping of the loaner, and about $75 for the VBox, is about $155. Not insignificant I agree, but an amount you will recover, and depending on what services you have subscribed for, very soon.

Try us. You will like us.

Rednekcowboy, thanks for stepping up.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to mkay

to mkay
Deposit implies that you receive the money back correct? Would you like them to eat the cost of the shipping?

If you don't think other IISP's are the same, ask around.

I did some shopping around when I was thinking of switching and all of those costs you mentioned are right on par and some said flat out that I had to purchase a new modem, even though I had the exact same model as the one they were selling and none of the ones that would allow me to bring over my modem offered to loan me a modem until mine could be recommissioned on their service.

I would suggest you do some research before bashing Vmedia.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
I think something some forget that you have clarified before George is that the temporary modem rental is voluntary correct? Someone transferring from another IISP can roll the dice and transfer with their current modem.

There were quite a few TSI to Start transfers on Rogers cable that went just fine over the winter when the ATPIA decision was made regarding speeds. You're right things go could bad but I think its a minimal chance unless CIKTel is a little less competent than Start at handling transfers (which I doubt for the record).

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

No problem George. Now hurry up and get your services into Quebec so I can try you out!! (Partnership with Ebox would be great!!! )

JvK
@rogers.com

JvK to GeorgeBurger

Anon

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

Hi Mkay, I couldn't agree with you more, the upfront charges are definitely hard to swallow. And it is possible we might one day get to a level of margin and profitability where we could afford to invest a modem and the install fee in a new customer, but of course the chances are the recurring price savings you get joining us would not be so attractive. There are as we all know, no free lunches.

The fact is that unlike many other ISPs, and TV services, we make virtually nothing on our hardware. Definitely nothing on equipment we get from third parties like modems, and a bit, though in my view not enough to compensate for our R&D and value add, on our unique and truly extraordinary VBox.

And as we have made plenty clear before, we make nothing on the install.

The reason we offer to loan a modem is because we assume you don't want to be without service during the period we both might have to wait for Teksavvy or another independent ISP to release the modem. That wait could be up to two weeks in our experience.

And the install is just Rogers', or another incumbents, way of saying they still love you. Transfers between indies with Rogers always entail an install fee. Nice work if you can get it. So that is the long and short of it.

Not sure how you got to $250, that number would include your payment for service which I assume there is no objection to. $65 for the install fee, and $15 for the shipping of the loaner, and about $75 for the VBox, is about $155. Not insignificant I agree, but an amount you will recover, and depending on what services you have subscribed for, very soon.

Try us. You will like us.

Uh no. I've been with these guys for like 3 months now. God awful. Constant disconnects. Slow speeds. Empty promises.

They promised me 45/4, still have 28/1.
Everytime I have disconnecting issues and slow speeds, it just magically starts working again and they keep saying "call us when it happens again." This has been on going from the START. I've called these guys for over 10 different times over the same stupid shit.

George messages me on Facebook, asks what is going on then looks at my replies and then doesn't reply.

I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone EVER. They wouldn't even give me anything in return for STILL being with these guys for so long WHILE taking their shit.

When I demanded compensation from them for charging me for days that I didn't have internet as well as wrong pricing, they did it only last month. This "no internet business" was at the start of the month. I've been complaining about my loss of internet and speed for a month now and there is still no compensation for that.
I've emailed these guys, and nothing.

0/100 rating. Go to Tekksavvy or Start.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by GeorgeBurger:

No problem George. Now hurry up and get your services into Quebec so I can try you out!! (Partnership with Ebox would be great!!! )

I'm in Ontario and would love a partnership with Ebox. A friend just signed up, but I would love to keep my Ebox internet (sans dry loop fee) while getting Vmedia IPTV.

How would an ISP partner with Vmedia? Are there significant costs to either party? Hopefully we can see more partnerships coming up.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger to JvK

to JvK
JvK, or Livid John or whatever you are calling yourself these days, this has been unfortunately your tone and approach from the start, so while I would like to be sympathetic, you know very well what the issues have been, and you know very well that the problems have not been consistent, and that we have been responding to you as courteously as possible.

Apart from anything else, we agreed to make good, and of course we charged you only for the level of service you were getting, i.e. 28 vs. 45 until the upgrade, and we accounted for this in the next possible billing cycle. I did reach out to you on Facebook, and I did look into your situation, and our call centre did get in touch with you...again...to tell you...again...that the troubles you have experienced over the last week have to do with the upgrade and that they would resolve themselves as soon as the APOI come into service. I am very sorry if that is not satisfactory, but clearly this has been a bad experience for you, and I would understand whatever measures you would take.

But I do encourage you to be more accurate in describing your interactions with us to the Board, and to your friends who have championed your cause on this and other boards without knowing the facts. Best regards George.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger to markf

to markf
Hi We have a pretty high regard for EBox and would be keen to work with them, maybe you can encourage them to consider working with us in Ontario. An arrangement like that is a definite win win.
LNahid20008
join:2013-07-03
Toronto, ON

LNahid20008 to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
Is it really that hard to get a simple invoice from Vmedia? I find it a little ridiculous that my dad who is an electrician with no computer skills whatsoever has learned how to generate electronic invoices for his customers because they demand it. Meanwhile Vmedia who is supposed to be a leading edge media company can't even provide me with a simple invoice.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger

Nahid just to clarify, we have provided payment confirmations to you, just as we have for everyone else, not one of whom has commented. This was not satisfactory to you, as apparently the form of our confirmation is not adequate for you to use as an invoice for reimbursement purposes. I am sorry about that, and we are preparing something for you, as we told you. You did not mention that it was urgent. Now we know. We will have it for you tomorrow. Best regards, George.
LNahid20008
Toronto, ON

LNahid20008

No worries, I just wasn't sure what was going on since I never received a reply to my PMs stating that you were preparing something for me. Tomorrow would be great...I need to get the invoice to my company by Sunday afternoon so that I don't lose payment for this month. Thanks for your help.
LNahid20008

to GeorgeBurger
Still waiting...

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

Hi We have a pretty high regard for EBox and would be keen to work with them, maybe you can encourage them to consider working with us in Ontario. An arrangement like that is a definite win win.

What about Ebox in Quebec? Would definitely be a great alternative to Videotron...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to GeorgeBurger

MVM

to GeorgeBurger
VMedia does not currently service Quebec, so that's a moot point for now.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

said by Guspaz:

VMedia does not currently service Quebec, so that's a moot point for now.

According to their site they do service internet in Quebec

»www.vmedia.ca/cart/default.aspx

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to GeorgeBurger

MVM

to GeorgeBurger
They don't for IPTV, so there's no point partnering with eBox in Quebec for IPTV...

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by Guspaz:

They don't for IPTV, so there's no point partnering with eBox in Quebec for IPTV...

My question was posed at George so, no offense, but how about we let the man answer questions about his company and leave out the speculation.
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger to LNahid20008

to LNahid20008
Hi Nahid, you receive the invoices yet? June and July?
GeorgeBurger

GeorgeBurger to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
Hi I am afraid our launch in Quebec for TV service is not imminent. There are a lot of differences in the markets and right now we are working flat out addressing the needs of the rest of Canada. All the rules relating to channels regulated by the CRTC are different, and frankly the market environment is different as well. It is a year at least away. On the other hand, if this would motivate you to move to Ontario....

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by GeorgeBurger:

Hi I am afraid our launch in Quebec for TV service is not imminent. There are a lot of differences in the markets and right now we are working flat out addressing the needs of the rest of Canada. All the rules relating to channels regulated by the CRTC are different, and frankly the market environment is different as well. It is a year at least away. On the other hand, if this would motivate you to move to Ontario....

LMAO, I never say never, but don't see it happening any time soon. I've lived in Ontario, New Brunswick, Manitoba, British Columbia and Alberta. We just moved to Quebec a little over a year ago and my wife is to begin her masters in Sociology at Concordia with plans to do her PHD there so looks like we'll be sticking around a little while.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by Guspaz:

My question was posed at George so, no offense, but how about we let the man answer questions about his company and leave out the speculation.

You could have just as easily not have responded to Guspaz's post instead of responding in pretty rude fashion. It's pretty much given George Burger will respond, as he's active on these forums. He was also just re-iterating something George has answered numerous times, so it wasn't speculation. It's an open forum anyway, you can always PM if you want others to answer/respond.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

said by rednekcowboy:

said by Guspaz:

You could have just as easily not have responded to Guspaz's post instead of responding in pretty rude fashion. It's pretty much given George Burger will respond, as he's active on these forums. He was also just re-iterating something George has answered numerous times, so it wasn't speculation. It's an open forum anyway, you can always PM if you want others to answer/respond.

And I can post saying I would rather an answer from George. I meant no disrespect and added "no offense" to my statement to illustrate that point. You chose to take it in a different light. I've seen Guspaz's posts. I'm sure if he had an issue with it, he would have said so. He is a big boy, he doesn't need you to stick up for him. Though you tend to like to argue with me, which is why I'm assuming you posted your useless reply.

If you have a problem with my posts, report me. As I have told you numerous, numerous times.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

I don't have a problem with your posts, just pointing out how useless with yours was.

rednekcowboy

1 edit

rednekcowboy

said by TypeS:

I don't have a problem with your posts, just pointing out how useless with yours was.

my point exactly. now if we could get back on topic, I'm sure Geroge would appreciate it.
LNahid20008
Toronto, ON

to GeorgeBurger
I got the invoices today. Thanks George!
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
Zazeen beta seems to be going live now for us Quebeckers.

However if I was to sign up for Distributel (unlimited 20) and the base channels I am not really saving anything much over my Bell bill (unlimited 15, a la carte 20 w/ movies for $115)

; (

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by Dunlop:

Zazeen beta seems to be going live now for us Quebeckers.

However if I was to sign up for Distributel (unlimited 20) and the base channels I am not really saving anything much over my Bell bill (unlimited 15, a la carte 20 w/ movies for $115)

; (

I've sent them and Distributel a bunch of questions by email a couple of different times and they couldn't be bothered to respond to me. If you can't be bothered to answer an email, then I can't be bothered to sign up with you.