Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to GeorgeBurger

Re: VMedia Launches

said by GeorgeBurger:

You are absolutely right it would be, but two things, one, we will be adding our UChoose pick a pack with over 40 channels to start in a couple of weeks, and about 60 standalones, and two, you are in Quebec, which is a wholeother world because you have an all-pick a pack environment, right? For now we are not in Quebec, and we will be developing an entirely different offering for that market to be able to compete with Videotron, Bell and Cogeco there.Stay tuned.

Sort of. I'm not sure about what Bell does, although I believe their Quebec and Ontario packages/prices are very similar with only minor differences. For Videotron, customers have basically two choices. They can either go the traditional route, where you buy things in big packages (like "basic" and "anglo"), or you can pay for an a-la-carte package, where for example you would pay $30 for the ability to pick any 30 channels Videotron offers.

It's a trade-off. The a-la-carte comes out to $1 per channel usually, but the packages typically average out to less than $1 per channel. So you potentially get more channels per dollar in a package, but less flexibility. As a customer you need to gauge if a package would give you more channels you want than the cost of buying the channels one by one.

In my case, I started out with (on top of basic) a 30+5 option (where I could pick any 35 channels), but it turned out that it was cheaper for me to get the "anglo" pack and then a 10-channel a-la-carte pack to get the extra stuff the "anglo" pack was missing.

So yes, the Quebec market does seem very different. My assumption is that Rogers in Ontario had something similar to Videotron's thing where you can select individual channels you want.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by Guspaz:

So yes, the Quebec market does seem very different. My assumption is that Rogers in Ontario had something similar to Videotron's thing where you can select individual channels you want.

Nope. There's a very small number of channels available a la carte, but nothing like what Videotron does. Bell's offerings outside of Quebec are also completely different than what they offer in Quebec.