uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

New Mac Migration

I've got a new iMac for an employee to replace one where the monitor is failing. The old one is running Lion, 10.7.5. I haven't opened the new one yet, but I'm sure it will be running Mountain Lion. I'd like to be able to use the Setup Assistant to move data from the old one to the new one. Will that be a problem since one is Lion and one is Mountain Lion? Would it be best to do this over USB, Ethernet, or Wi-fi? Anything else I should be aware of? It's been a few years since I've done this, and I used Firewire the last time.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
I've always Cloned (CCC) one system, even if older OS, using FireWire Target Disk mode, then simply updated the OS ( Lion>MLion etc on the Cloned twin........

Never failed using this method, in about 12 'Clones'....................

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Isn't the Firewire port gone from the newer iMacs?

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to bjf123
Ahhhhhhhh.................

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to bjf123
Couldn't you back-up old Mac, then migrate back-up to new Mac?

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to bjf123
Just connect the two directly via ethernet. Then use the migration assistant during the initial setup.

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to kerriskandie
said by kerriskandie:

I've always Cloned (CCC) one system, even if older OS, using FireWire Target Disk mode, then simply updated the OS ( Lion>MLion etc on the Cloned twin........

Never failed using this method, in about 12 'Clones'....................

If the machine you are cloning is running an OS older than what is supported on the new one it can cause problems as the necessary drivers may not be available.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to kitsune
said by kitsune:

Just connect the two directly via ethernet. Then use the migration assistant during the initial setup.

This. I've done this without issue several times.

tango_bob
VIP
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL
reply to bjf123
I would use a thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and boot the old Mac into target disk mode.

Lazarus Long

join:2000-11-24
Saint Louis, MO
reply to bjf123
I just did this. I used the direct Ethernet connection. You just connect the two machines with a regular Ethernet cable... no need for crossover or a hub/switch. It migrated my Lion machine to my new Mountain Lion machine in a couple of hours, flawlessly.
--
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to kitsune
Never had a problem I'm aware of.....

must of cloned 7/8 HD's over the last 5 years..........

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
reply to Lazarus Long
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try using an Ethernet cable during the setup. I'll probably start it at the end of the day today, so it doesn't interrupt the employee's ability to do her job.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to kitsune
said by kitsune:

+1
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Got everything working. When the migration assistant came up during the setup, it found the old iMac via wi-fi, so we moved the data that way. So far, so good!
--

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Ugh, that's always been really REAALY slow for me, how was it for you?

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to bjf123
Yeah I have seen migration over wireless take days. Literally.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Based on what the Migration Assistant showed, it was moving just under 70 GB of data. It said it would take an hour fifteen minutes. I checked back after about 10 minutes and it showed an hour four minutes left. I'm not sure how long it ultimately took as I then went home for the evening. It was finished when I came in the next morning.
--