Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

1 edit

Powered usb hubs and usb hard drives

It seems like it's hit or miss as far as if a usb (slim) hard drive will work off a powered usb hub or not?

I've been looking at all these reviews for a few higher end hubs ($30+) and it seems like a few have a hard time, I might just end up connecting it directly to the usb port but as long as it's not a hard drive most things work just fine off the port right?

Hmm it seems like USB 3 delivers 900 mA vs USB 2's 500 mA?

I'm thinking about getting a enclosure and putting in a 7200 rpm 2.5" drive

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

1 edit

For connecting self-powered 2.5" drives to USB 2 I endup using cables like this one:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12200791

The red "A" connector gets power only for additional amperage.

Edit: this is the actual cable I got: »www.tigerdirect.com/applications···84-28107
a bit longer than the one I linked from Newegg

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

A powered USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub will only allow higher power to flow if the data connection is established. A lot of people don't realize this, and will complain about a hub under powering when being used as a charger, not connected to a computer.

As long as it is connected to a computer, any powered USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub should power an external drive.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Well I've seen complaints about the drive not being spun up when connected to the hub and the hub connected to the computer and the hub plugged into the wall outlet.

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to Subaru

What powered hubs are you using or attempting to buy? Some complaints are those who could have too many power-hog USB devices maxing out a low-spec power brick(generic/cheaper hubs claim 5V/3.8A but bench test closer to 3.5A), not all hubs supply equal amount of power--another example is some makers support 500mA for the 4 rear ports and the top/front are 250mA... Rosewill had a model like this and NewerTech had a silly Mac mini-specific USB+FW hub like this that relying on Firewire to power it--plug a FW HDD into that dual hub, the power to USB devices would be cut to 250mA

I've used lowly Belkin travel 4-port lighted hub w/optional power adapter, Belkin 7-port lighted/non-lighted hubs w/power adapter & cheap $7 Inland/Microcenter 4-port hub w/power adapter. Never had problems with WD or Seagate pre-fab bus powered drives and been using older 2.5" HDDs in aftermarket enclosures without problems.
As far as plugging directly to a port, on notebooks a few Dell & Apple notebooks only have one or two ports which output a full 500mA and the rest are 250mA and with desktops you never have this weird chaos. For example if a person uses a bus powered hub on a 250mA port on a Dell Latitude 620 or newer/15/17" PowerBook G4/MacBook/MacBook Pro(back most port on these Macs) it just has enough power for a flash drive so if attempting a HDD it'll just spin/head parking ticking.

DIY enclosures typically bundle the two plug splitter to provide enough extra juice to spin up power hungry drives, if you use a 7200 RPM drive that'll make your life a bag of hurt--not only do you need to make sure the chipset supports above 750GB, some models don't supply enough juice for sustained writes/reads(Vantec NextStar TX USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 are the only two I've found which handles a WD Scorpio Black 750GB & Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM... USB 2.0/3.0+eSATA variant of the TX & CX doesn't work due to the power needs with such large drives)

If you own/plan to build a USB 3.0 based system, stick with a WD Passport or WD Elements as they work properly with the single plug as they built the USB chipset into the drive controller.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Looking at these two here but leaning more towards the first one

»www.amazon.com/Plugable-4-Port-S···OABA3QO8

»www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Cable-Adap···H7LL679J

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Subaru

It's not hit or miss, though it would seem to be so....

I've had issues with laptop drives in buss powered enclosures NOT spin up reliably... In all USB ports.

I have a USB "Y" cable, and that does help, but looks like a kludge, and it draws power from multiple USB Outlets.

I've noticed that this happens more often on USB ports on Front of computer as opposed to rear of computer. I have a Supermicro Server that has this 'feature', as well as a Dell Dimension desktop. Both have 'weak' front panel USB ports...

Higher current drives, like the Momentus XT drives, do this as well.

Symptom would be: "Click, Click", or "Beep, Beep"!
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I was thinking about putting the drive in this

»www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HDK-SU···38T48VYW

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
reply to Subaru

I've used high end or Ebay V2 & V3 enclosures. Its the drive startup & run current specs that will cause issues. Note that on Ver 1 Momentus XT drives, firmware will help a bit.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I was looking at the Western Digital WD7500BPKT

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru

I went to look at the specs of that drive, and found this....

»enzedtech.blogspot.com/2012/09/w···two.html
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Well looks like I need to find another 7200 rpm drive then.. any ideas on what will work?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

»www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-···add_1_dp

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to Subaru

If you want a 7200 RPM HDD the standard notebook models you keep eying are going to require using a two plug HDD enclosure due to the power needed for the initial spin up & sustained read/write. You'll need to hunt down a place which sells Seagate Momentus Thin or Hitachi "Z" series which use single or double platter in a 7mm form-factor, I use a Hitachi in an Ultrabay as it runs cool/quiet. I have no idea about the reliability factor of 7mm drives, Lenovo used them on the "slim" T4x0 series. Keep in mind "thin" 7200 RPM drives typically have a high premium cost vs normal notebook drives.

Speed is meaningless once you hit the 1TB size mark, 1TB WD Scorpio Blue is the fastest 5400 RPM drive which is very close to a Scorpio Black 750GB for sustained write/read without the power demands.

IMO, Seagate mobile HDDs pre-Momentus XT have so-so quality and as they age the read/write noise becomes louder(mouse-like squeak/squeal) compared to other HDD makers. I find the WD click & clack less annoying than the high pitch squeal/sqeak Seagates do

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Well it needs to be a 7200 rpm drive because it's streaming music notes for live playing, only so much can be loaded into RAM before it starts going to the disk.. I can't install the program and run the software from the same disk (internal) so that's why I'm looking at the external.. and given my laptop only have 3 ports and one of them being USB 3 I have to pick wisely.