IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

DirecTV is better

I just switched from Comcast to DirecTV and there is a 1000 percent improvement in the picture quality. I was hoping to get an X1 box but I find it unethical to give preferential treatment to new customers. And my phone (soon to be switched to Verizon landline for better reliability) and Internet just went out tonight.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

2 recommendations

Happydude32

Premium Member

So then it would be unethical for DirecTV to give you (as a new subscriber) a free HR34, when existing customers have to pay $300? It would be unethical for DirecTV to give a you a free C31 when existing subscribers have to pay $100 for that, right? And it would be unethical for DirecTV to provide you with a free year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max when existing subs pay $300 for that, right?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am saying is companies should reward loyalty by not jacking the price up 200 percent after a promotion expires.

I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers. Hard to do with Internet as it is cable or DSL but switching between DirecTV and Comcast for TV works for me and my bank account. When my DirecTV promotion expires completely at the end of my contract, I'll have some leverage.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
What I am saying is companies should reward loyalty by not jacking the price up 200 percent after a promotion expires.
You mean like what's going to happen to your DirecTV bill in 12 months from now? You’re calling Comcast unethical, for the samething thing your new found love, DirecTV is doing. So who exactly is being unethical here and why is it unethical to provide an incentive for people to switch from the competition?

Would you rather not have promos and be charged the MSRP from day 1? When I first got satellite TV, there were no special intro rates, and there were no deals. The cost of a two room Dish Network system with the most basic receiver you could get was about $800, and that included the $100 installation free, as those had to be paid back them as well
quote:
I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers.
Don’t give yourself too much credit. You didn’t invent that. You’re not the only one that does that, many do.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers.

Hardly a trick when your promo dies after a year but you're contract locked into 2 years with steep ETF!

CableGuy6322
@rogers.com

CableGuy6322

Anon

Already obsolete at the get-go. I don't see any mention of Wi-Fi capable. How about Network DVR capable. Multiple tuners is way outdated. The only device that should have a tuner is your Docsis 3 modem with 8-16-24 bonded channels to deliver bandwidth for the set top box. The service should be entirely delivered over IP with HTML5 GUI that can be changed/updated on the fly.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
its logistics.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Old Customer Gets X1 Box

said by IowaCowboy:

I find it unethical to give preferential treatment to new customers.

I've been a Comcast customer for many years. When I called for service a few weeks ago I requested an X1 box and they said "No problem. You'll get a new and faster modem too at no additional charge".

I'm in Philadelphia and heard only new customers would get the box but that was not true.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to CableGuy6322

to CableGuy6322

Re: DirecTV is better

DirecTV does whole house DVR/network DVR. But it requires HSI in order for it to work. But they also run over coax and nothing else.

Also the DTV system uses HSI to even update, etc.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Surprised you didn't go to VZ to order DirecTV/Dishnetwork and get a bundled deal as much as you praise them and love them.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

Surprised you didn't go to VZ to order DirecTV/Dishnetwork and get a bundled deal as much as you praise them and love them.

I actually went to VZ for a DirecTV and home phone bundle. I'm keeping Comcast for Internet. Getting basic cable ($5.02/mo in my area) through cc lowers the Internet bill as well.