spc
Search similar:

uniqs

higaming
@start.ca

higaming

Anon

Niagara Falls, Ontario Area ISP

Whats the best isp for gaming in this area? I just need consistent and low latency, dont much care about bandwidth.

thanks in advance

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

TekSavvy

Http://teksavvy.com

Let me know if I can help qualify you for service.

Andre

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

As for a non biased opinion :P

I use a bell connection 25/10 and a Start connection and enjoy them both.

I used to be a huge pro cable user, and used to work for Cogeco as well, but I much prefer VDSL now.

Never used teksavvy, but if you can get the same FTTN service Bell offers but cheaper, then why not give them a chance.

You look to be on start already, are you having an issue?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to higaming

Premium Member

to higaming
What servers are you trying to get to? Are you having a problem with inconsistency on the node? Thanks.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to higaming

Premium Member

to higaming
said by higaming :

Whats the best isp for gaming in this area? I just need consistent and low latency, dont much care about bandwidth.

Where abouts are you in Niagara Falls? There is Cogeco and the Cogeco TPIAs anywhere in the city, but on the Bell side of things there are parts of Niagara Falls that can barely pull off 6Mbit/s legacy ADSL all the way up to full-blown FTTH depending on where you live.
Gone

Gone to coaxguy

Premium Member

to coaxguy
said by coaxguy:

Unless he's in the south or west end of the city he probably won't be able to get VDSL, and even then it's hit or miss. St. Michael Ave is amusing because it has everything from legacy ADSL to VDSL2 to FTTH depending on what part of the street you live on.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

said by Gone:

said by coaxguy:

Unless he's in the south or west end of the city he probably won't be able to get VDSL, and even then it's hit or miss. St. Michael Ave is amusing because it has everything from legacy ADSL to VDSL2 to FTTH depending on what part of the street you live on.

True, honestly I didnt even notice he put Niagara Falls, just read Niagara. I take my VDSL for granted I guess.
agtle
join:2013-03-09

agtle to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by coaxguy:

Am in NF, with 4 sites - north end (portage/huggins) & downtown have VDSL, south end (portage/front) & west (kalar/mcleod) can only get legacy ADSL.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to higaming

Anon

to higaming
Doesn't IKtel service there?

They are the cheapest to my understanding.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to agtle

Premium Member

to agtle
said by agtle:

Am in NF, with 4 sites - north end (portage/huggins) & downtown have VDSL, south end (portage/front) & west (kalar/mcleod) can only get legacy ADSL.

VDSL coverage in Niagara Falls can probably be best described as swiss cheese. St. Catharines is blanketed in a much better way. I talked with a Bell tech who described Five Corners and the North End as an "ADSL Hole." My mother lived at Mountain and Dorchester and was limited to 6Mbit/s. The tech said he had a co-worker at Five Corners who couldn't even get any usable DSL. I used to live closer to downtown and that address now qualifies for VDSL, albeit only 25Mbit. There's also a neighbourhood north of Lundy's Lane and west of Garner that's all VDSL2.

Kalar/McLeod specifically is only legacy VDSL, but go a tad further north between McGarry and Forestview and you've got VDSL. Go even further north to Angie and it's all FTTH. The new stuff that's going in south of McLeod will all be FTTH, too.
Gone

Gone to hm

Premium Member

to hm
said by hm :

Yeah, Iktel is great if you want your connection going offline for an entire evening every week.
agtle

agtle to Gone

to Gone
I think it comes down to how the city has grown - NF today is made up of four formerly independent municipalities, amalgamated over the years (50s-70s). The smaller parts - when independent - were "remote" switches (not in the DSL sense, rather the old-school mechanical) hanging off the co on victoria; some places north of huggins hung off the st. davids switch which was a remote of the notl co.

Over the last 13 years or so, my experience - bouncing between cable and DSL in this city at my four sites (as availability and pricing fluctuates) - has been that DSL is far more reliable than cable.

Granted - I haven't used cogeco in about 5 years - but I could never get vpn tunnels to stay up reliably on their network (I strongly suspected at the time it was due to their dpi, which they consistently denied using, but later turned out to be true), but on DSL, they have always been rock solid stable, and far less downtime (although slower in some parts of the city).

so to the OP, go DSL if you can, otherwise cable. Teksavvy either way

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

St. Catharines is an identical situation with amalgamate towns/townships (Port Dalhousie, Merriton and Grantham), remote COs and all sorts of stuff. That really has nothing to do with any of it. The difference is that while the buildout in St. Cats was substantially completed last summer with very few holes (oddly enough, the new communities near the Welland Canal only have legacy ADSL, and the new development in Merriton near the old canal only has ADSL2+ with no Fibe TV), Niagara Falls is still ongoing.

This summer is when Bell will be going gangbusters, not just in Niagara Falls but across the entire region.
agtle

agtle

said by Gone:

...That really has nothing to do with any of it. ...

it absolutely did, loop length is everything with dsl, and the history of it, is why one side of the street may have a loop length 2km longer than than other side of the street. And Bell wasn't going to rush to install DSLAMs at the remote DMSs serving 800 customers.

Not nearly as much of an issue today, and going forward, with vdsl and tiny remotes pushed out to the neighborhoods, but it is why nf (and so many other cities) have been so inconsistent in the past.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I know how DSL works. It was just as much an issue in St. Catharines ten years ago as it was in Niagara Falls. Secord Woods in St. Catharines could never get DSL because they were served by a remote that never had a DSLAM installed, and they didn't get any sort of DSL until the Fibe TV rollout. Niagara Falls was by no means unique in this regard.

Today? It's a non-issue in either city. They just throw a 7330 onto the OPI and they're done with it. This has been done for the most part in St. Catharines with a few limited exceptions. The rollout isn't complete in Niagara Falls and is still ongoing. You'll see a lot more OPIs with 7330s strapped onto them or next to them in the Falls this summer.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by hm :

Yeah, Iktel is great if you want your connection going offline for an entire evening every week.

I did say "cheapest". Not lowest cost. There is a difference.

But if someone *was* looking to save a buck and didn't care about losing internet randomly once a week or once a month, then cheap is what they would get.