JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

All-digital in Carbondale now?

Last night my modem died for an extended period of time. I didn't bother rebooting it since I was tired and wanted some sleep, and assumed that Mediacom had screwed up yet again with their late-night network work.

I just discovered today that all of a sudden I am getting 30Mbps speeds at speedtest.net.

I actually ran a speedtest yesterday evening, so I know what they looked like right before the switch.

Before:

After:

The geolocation of my ip also seems to have changed. The plan info on the mediacomtoday site has not changed, nor has the cap changed. Speedboost on the upload seems to have vanished.

I have a Arris DOCSIS 2.0 voice/data combo modem.

I have two questions. First, does anyone know if this means that all-digital is now officially rolled out in Carbondale (zip 62901), and will these speeds stay like this (i.e. will I need to manually ask to have the cap added and the full speeds kept, which is what the Mediacom reps had said when caps were introduced in August)? Secondly, do I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to take full advantage of these new speeds, or is this old DOCSIS 2.0 modem fine (and if DOCSIS 3.0 can help, does Mediacom replace modems or would I need to purchase one?)?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I'm not showing Carbondale as an all digital area yet. There may have been some overnight maintenance that improved your signal/speed. The Docsis 2.0 modem should work fine for the speeds you are receiving now, if you decide to get a faster internet plan later on then we would need to get a Docsis 3.0 modem out. Speeds can fluctuate for many reasons, so I cannot guarantee constant speeds like this, but if there are speed issues then I would be happy to look into them for you. Mediacom does not do any speed capping or throttling.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

said by MediacomChad:

I'm not showing Carbondale as an all digital area yet. There may have been some overnight maintenance that improved your signal/speed. The Docsis 2.0 modem should work fine for the speeds you are receiving now, if you decide to get a faster internet plan later on then we would need to get a Docsis 3.0 modem out. Speeds can fluctuate for many reasons, so I cannot guarantee constant speeds like this, but if there are speed issues then I would be happy to look into them for you. Mediacom does not do any speed capping or throttling.

Odd. Thanks for the info about the modem. By capping I was referring to the bandwidth cap.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Since you mentioned August of last year I assume you mean the data allowances being put in place. The enforced data allowances are for accounts with upgraded/downgraded/added internet service after August of 2012. So if you have had service longer than that without making changes you would not need to worry about that.