how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shof515

join:2008-06-15
Ridgewood, NY

ONT Power Issue

since i had fios installed i never unplugged the ONT from the ac outlet, this afternoon i noticed that the ONT was running on battery power killing TV and internet service. When i unplug the battery, the ONT turns off completely which means that the issue could be a problem with the AC outlet. When i plug the ONT into another outlet, the ONT works perfectly and the battery is not in use. What could be wrong with the original outlet that the ONT was plugged in? I tested the outlet, and there is no problems since it can power everything except the ONT that was plugged in there for years

I have the newer all one ONT with the battery built in.

edit: i only had fios since sept of 2012, so the battery should be new

SRF26

join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY
I would check the actual voltage of the AC outlet in question. There might be a small deviation in the output voltage and the ONT believes the utility is out. The other devices you plug into the outlet operate properly because they might not be as sensitive to voltage variations as the ONT is.

Hope this helps...JL

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
kudos:1
reply to shof515
sometimes an outlet can go bad

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
reply to shof515
If you're on Tellabs ONT you could have a faulty OPSU/BBU.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

shof515

Ridgewood, NY
reply to shof515
i tested the outlet with a volt meter and the outlet is fine

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA
check the power cord, does it fit tightly in the rec? if you jiggle it around will the ONT see power? If so the cord could be bad.

incognito_2u

join:2005-03-15
Malverne, NY
reply to shof515
Call the FSC....a truck roll is needed!!

shof515

Ridgewood, NY
reply to shof515
I have finally found the issue:

it is something kind of small adapter that the installer used to plug the ont into the outlet. I think it is a grounding adapter or something. That adapter is no longer getting power. Is that this something that verizon has to replace or that i can replace? Right now, the ONT works fine without being connected to that thing.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
said by shof515:

I have finally found the issue:

it is something kind of small adapter that the installer used to plug the ont into the outlet. I think it is a grounding adapter or something. That adapter is no longer getting power. Is that this something that verizon has to replace or that i can replace? Right now, the ONT works fine without being connected to that thing.

My guess there is a grounding pin on the electric plug of the ONT which means you DON"T need that thing. You should be good to go.

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
You could call out and have them replace it.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
reply to shof515
You should call and have them replace it. It is the grounding adapter. When this is used the internal ground is not connected.