uniqs

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

If just curious if Teksavvy is planning on participating in this.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

I'd like to see an IPTV offering like VMedia in conjunction with TSI internet service well. Not willing to switch ISP for IPTV.

But I think right now it'd be early to offer VMedia, they only just launched (a soft launch the CEO is calling it), so a lot of their offering is still premature. But it'd be nice if maybe Marc would consider talks with George Burger. Would make TSI pretty damn attractive with Internet + TekTalk + IPTV.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

*cough*

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I have to admit, since this is my first time hearing of them... just on their website design. Damn good job on it lol...

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
*cough**cough*

morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Indeed the only thing making me second guess teksavvy cable right now is vmedias premium basic package and Ciktel Cable.. which somehow has outpriced teksavvy by a huge margin

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
The spokesperson of TekSavvy who also happens to be one of the people behind (in a more operational capacity rather than spokesperson capacity) VMedia... I'm guessing there may be some discussions going on that have not been revealed yet.

Anyhow, I do hope that TekSavvy peers with multiple IPTV companies to give their customers the choice of picking their provider. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pick from VMedia or Zazeen or any future IPTV provider, if apparently all that is required is that TekSavvy provide the customer address to the IPTV provider so that the CRTC's location requirements are met. All these guys peer with eachother at TORIX anyhow.

The IISPs should come up with a standard process for this whereby the IPTV provider submits an official request/form to the IPTV requesting the certification of the customer location along with the promise to update the IPTV provider should the customer change address, and the ISP sends a standardized form reply back including the requested information. This sort of system could be partially or even fully automated (if the IPTV provider provided the ISP's automated system with some authentication information from the customer to ensure privacy) such that the burden on the ISP for adding a new IPTV provider was trivial.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Anyhow, I do hope that TekSavvy peers with multiple IPTV companies to give their customers the choice of picking their provider. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pick from VMedia or Zazeen or any future IPTV provider, if apparently all that is required is that TekSavvy provide the customer address to the IPTV provider so that the CRTC's location requirements are met. All these guys peer with eachother at TORIX anyhow.

Hmm... you just made this thread, and my expectations, better.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Myself if i recall Zazeens pricing i much prefer vmedia but yes it would definitely be a Thorn in the Incumbents side if the Indie Tv Operators all Worked Friendly like on any indy isp p:) with a simple form!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
I'm not really clear on the requirements myself. At first we all thought the ISP had to resell the IPTV to make it work, going through private peering to have a close network. Then people are saying the peering thing isn't a requirement, merely the most practical thing, and then people are saying the reselling thing is really just that the ISP has to certify the address of the customer or something, and that's why the ISP has to resell, because only they have that information...

So I'm thinking, if that's the case, they don't actually need to be reselling it, they just need to have some sort of procedure set up for passing the required information around in a private manner such that the CRTC's requirements in terms of certifying the address are met... If those are actually the requirements. I'm really not clear on this.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to morisato

to morisato
In my case, I'd simply drop off a compact rackmount server at an ISP's IPTV facility to provide my channel's broadcast feed. The channel's schedule and content will actually be loaded onto the server from our own facilities -- asynchronously on a non-dedicated line for the most part -- with dedicated live feeds provided only during live events.

I've been working on my TV project for a while now, studying this method of delivery. The amount of bandwidth that would be eliminated through the use of remote servers installed at the ISPs will be considerable. In fact, the bigger cable providers already use very similar systems (much more elaborate though) to acquire and distribute most of Canada's cable channels. Very few of them ever need a live feed at all.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Maybe VMedia is done like how the Chinese people have it done in Canada with the little box thingy (forgot the name)

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
25/2 unlimited - $39.99
???
d25m03p
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Abbotsford, BC

d25m03p to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Maybe VMedia is done like how the Chinese people have it done in Canada with the little box thingy (forgot the name)

Kylin
videonerd
join:2007-01-21

videonerd to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Technology is the easy part... it's all about licensing fees. I can't imagine as a small startup how difficult it must be to deal with Rogers and Bell who own the majority of specialty channels. "Carry TSN2 and I'll leave Sportsnet in the double digits" else it's all nice and fun 'till someone moves someone's channel up into the stratosphere. But if you don't got that clout and weight to throw around... eep.

Then again, in Toronto at least, you can get 10+ channels easy with an antenna. More if you're high up, in Oshawa you can get Rochester and Buffalo stations, then you're up to 20-30 channels, FREE, crisp 19mbps HD (depending on how the broadcaster allocates it of course) The rest you can *coughfindontheinternet*
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Would only be interested if the "packs" could be subscribed to without getting stuck with an unneeded basic channel package as well.

TMN + HBO Package for $18/month - sign me up!
Basic Package + TMN + HBO Package for $25+$18=$43/month - no thanks
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have eqHD, OasisHD, or HiFi on their lineup... those channels were literally the only reason I was keeping Bell Satellite service, and when I moved into the new place I took advantage of the excuse not to keep it.

If they added those channels and kept the pricing relatively low, I'd consider it, though.... As it is, I get most of the channels they have in the Basic package (that I'd actually watch) with an OTA antenna anyway, and have been quite happy streaming the rest of the shows from their websites. I do miss those channels, but I'm not going to pay $70/mo for them.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to BrianON

to BrianON
said by BrianON:

Would only be interested if the "packs" could be subscribed to without getting stuck with an unneeded basic channel package as well.

TMN + HBO Package for $18/month - sign me up!
Basic Package + TMN + HBO Package for $25+$18=$43/month - no thanks

That is impossible right now, no one can offer a TV subscription service with offering what CRTC has mandated as mandatory basic channels. The best that can be done is what Videotron apparently does in Quebec, the basic is made up only those absolutely mandatory channels and then thats it. After that you get to chose the packs.
kmoed
join:2011-01-31
Toronto, ON

kmoed

Make the Basic package $1, and I am in.
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

well Personally i am getting a bit tired of Soft half Product availibility launches ITs bad enough with gameconsoles launching with no games Now we have TV providers launching with No Stations? cmon.. Just get you products ready then launch!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to kmoed

to kmoed
said by kmoed:

Make the Basic package $1, and I am in.

Is that really a serious expectation?
kitkatneko
join:2007-10-17
Toronto, ON

kitkatneko

other countries get basic package and 50/10 internet for $30 - so why pay more in Canada? like in Europe providers with most services and reasonable prices always get customers and then the other have to follow.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

Because the GBP and Euro trade on parity with the Canadian dollar right?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to kitkatneko

MVM

to kitkatneko
said by kitkatneko:

other countries get basic package and 50/10 internet for $30 - so why pay more in Canada? like in Europe providers with most services and reasonable prices always get customers and then the other have to follow.

Because we're all dealing with wholesalers here where the suppliers have set prices multiple times higher than they need to be to hit that France pricing. While there's a problem here, there's nothing that the customer-facing companies (the IPTV and ISP companies) can do about it, all they can do is try to produce the best offer based on their costs that they can.
kmoed
join:2011-01-31
Toronto, ON

kmoed to TypeS

to TypeS
A serious expectation in Canada? No not at all. Which is why I have not had cable for over 15 years. Why on earth would I pay $25/month for a basic cable that would never be used. Just to get access to a handful of channels I would? Complete nonsense ,this company seems to be no different then Rogers or Bell.

Offer a basic cable package that is just that, basic, Absolute basic channels at a abosulte basic price.
donl
join:2010-04-23
Brampton, ON

donl to kitkatneko

to kitkatneko
I think we are paying too much here in Canada, but remember that the average salary, let say in the UK is 27k and in Canada is in the mid 40k.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to kmoed

to kmoed
I don't believe the dollar value you posted at all is an expectation anywhere.

Even if they just offered the basic + any meaningful profit, you'd be still be looking at around $15/month for basic. Basic is defined by a regulatory body, not the TV subscription company.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to donl

MVM

to donl
Average earnings in Canada, December 2012: $47,200 CAD
Average earnings in UK, April 2012: $40,847 CAD
Average earnings in France, 2010: $41,473 CAD
Guesstimate of 2012 France earnings based on Canadian wage increase year-on-year: $43,828 CAD

The average salary in the UK is 27k GBP, you can't use that figure without doing the currency conversion... This is also all before tax, so it has no real bearing on actual disposable income.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Hey Gang,

I'm as interested as the rest of you to find a way to make TV work. That being said, and I don't want to burst any bubbles here but I'm still unconvinced that there's a way to make it work and even if I can be convinced of it, its the kind of thing that I'd be more interested in acquiring than leveraging others. The simple fact is that once users have a set top box, it becomes very difficult to change course and we would effectively be giving up a big strategic part of the whole value proposition that we provide and that our users expect from us. We will continue to evaluate our options as more of these little players pop up and see how that goes.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Hey Gang,

I'm as interested as the rest of you to find a way to make TV work. That being said, and I don't want to burst any bubbles here but I'm still unconvinced that there's a way to make it work and even if I can be convinced of it, its the kind of thing that I'd be more interested in acquiring than leveraging others. The simple fact is that once users have a set top box, it becomes very difficult to change course and we would effectively be giving up a big strategic part of the whole value proposition that we provide and that our users expect from us. We will continue to evaluate our options as more of these little players pop up and see how that goes.

Thanks for giving us a heads up,

I'd say that you should consider it, part of my going OTA is not that I really cared that much about the expense of cable, it's that I kept shovelling money to a provider (be it Rogers/Bell/Shaw) who didn't care about what I wanted, and their offer was garbage over all.

A good package, with profits going to a provider like Teksavvy would be ideal. You probably don't want to get stuck playing catch up on this one.