share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron

Re: VMedia IPTV is Teksavvy planning on participating?

The spokesperson of TekSavvy who also happens to be one of the people behind (in a more operational capacity rather than spokesperson capacity) VMedia... I'm guessing there may be some discussions going on that have not been revealed yet.

Anyhow, I do hope that TekSavvy peers with multiple IPTV companies to give their customers the choice of picking their provider. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pick from VMedia or Zazeen or any future IPTV provider, if apparently all that is required is that TekSavvy provide the customer address to the IPTV provider so that the CRTC's location requirements are met. All these guys peer with eachother at TORIX anyhow.

The IISPs should come up with a standard process for this whereby the IPTV provider submits an official request/form to the IPTV requesting the certification of the customer location along with the promise to update the IPTV provider should the customer change address, and the ISP sends a standardized form reply back including the requested information. This sort of system could be partially or even fully automated (if the IPTV provider provided the ISP's automated system with some authentication information from the customer to ensure privacy) such that the burden on the ISP for adding a new IPTV provider was trivial.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Guspaz:

Anyhow, I do hope that TekSavvy peers with multiple IPTV companies to give their customers the choice of picking their provider. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pick from VMedia or Zazeen or any future IPTV provider, if apparently all that is required is that TekSavvy provide the customer address to the IPTV provider so that the CRTC's location requirements are met. All these guys peer with eachother at TORIX anyhow.

Hmm... you just made this thread, and my expectations, better.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Myself if i recall Zazeens pricing i much prefer vmedia but yes it would definitely be a Thorn in the Incumbents side if the Indie Tv Operators all Worked Friendly like on any indy isp p:) with a simple form!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
In my case, I'd simply drop off a compact rackmount server at an ISP's IPTV facility to provide my channel's broadcast feed. The channel's schedule and content will actually be loaded onto the server from our own facilities -- asynchronously on a non-dedicated line for the most part -- with dedicated live feeds provided only during live events.

I've been working on my TV project for a while now, studying this method of delivery. The amount of bandwidth that would be eliminated through the use of remote servers installed at the ISPs will be considerable. In fact, the bigger cable providers already use very similar systems (much more elaborate though) to acquire and distribute most of Canada's cable channels. Very few of them ever need a live feed at all.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Maybe VMedia is done like how the Chinese people have it done in Canada with the little box thingy (forgot the name)

d25m03p
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Abbotsford, BC
said by geokilla:

Maybe VMedia is done like how the Chinese people have it done in Canada with the little box thingy (forgot the name)

Kylin