join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Even my wife wouldnt do that

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

Kinda difficult to imagine someone *that* dumb, but it's certainly not impossible.

Had he added some emulsifier and surfactant, it may have lasted a little longer. (with the oil drain plug in) Actually, thinking a bit more about it, an engine can probably run on half-and-half (meaning half water and half oil).

Since I have an extra car now that I need to get rid of, I may just test theory.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to fartness

That was just a guy trolling auto forums at the time. He was behind the guy "cleaning" his turbocharged engine with sand, that just happened to pop up around the exact same time and a couple other threads that were all too stupid to be true. They all had the same "Help, my car is now acting weird since I did X, Y and Z" format and

»www.audiforums.com/forum/off-top···g-80267/

+1 for lasting 6 years though...
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
reply to fartness

Taking the totality of issues and sources linked, another example of how the Internet has made us smarter and our lives better!

LOL.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to mob

The one I linked, someone told him to do it in another thread. That's what made it seem real.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Sadly as time goes on there seems that there are people that stupid now a days. The movie Idiocracy seems to have some truth to it about the future.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to fartness

Those Ford guys seem pretty stupid to fall for that.

Faster
Premium

1 edit
reply to fartness

I did something once somewhat similar to the OP that superficially seems incredibly stupid. However, in my case it was a case of daydreaming or inattentiveness to what I was doing as opposed to what I started out to do.

I was in college and had a junker car. No here I'm sure can relate to that combination. In addition to normal fluids, additives kept the piece of junk running as well as possible.

One day I was going to add some fuel additive. Carburetor or deposit or fuel line cleaner? Obviously goes into fuel tank when the tank is low on fuel. Then add gasoline.

So what do I do. In my daydream, perhaps of the beautiful woman of my life at the time, I popped the hood and dumped the additive into the oil supply.

Well gosh do you think my valves or lifters and so on now made a racket with the engine running?

We tried a variety of cleaner or treatments specifically designed to eliminate the problem and none of them worked.

Finally found something that fixed the problem though.

Want to guess what it was?

Techless
Lets pretend I care
Premium
join:2002-07-19
Hypoluxo, Fl

STP ?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Faster

said by Faster:

Finally found something that fixed the problem though.

Want to guess what it was?

TIAC
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Continuum
reply to Faster

An oil change?

Faster
Premium

Naturally an oil change was the first thing tried. Then various valve and lifter cleaners and other oil additives to quiet them. They were really making a racket after the accidental pouring of gas additive into the oil supply.

Nothing worked until I spoke with a friend of mine that owned a gas station and had spent his whole life fixing cars.

Drain the oil and replace with transmission fluid. Drive the car normally around town for I think one full day, maybe less. Drain and replace with oil and problem solved. Engine purred. valves and lifters church quiet.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

My dad use to use tranny fluid in engines. But he only used a quart before changing the oil letting the engine idle about a half hour and draining.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by rody_44:

My dad use to use tranny fluid in engines. But he only used a quart before changing the oil letting the engine idle about a half hour and draining.

Yes, you can do that and even drive on it using 1 quart of ATF to 4 quarts of engine oil in a 5 quart system a week or so before your oil change is due. ATF is high detergent 10W lubricating oil so it helps cleans an engine.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

1 edit
reply to rody_44

I was cleaning out someone's garage a little while ago and got a few unopened bottles of really old ATF (Dexron II). Wonder if it would be better to use as a PS flush, or as an engine flush. I'll only use 1 quart added before oil change since I don't think it would be a good idea to use only ATF.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by aurgathor:

I was cleaning out someone's garage a little while ago and got a few unopened bottles of really old ATF (Dexron II). Wonder if it would be better to use as a PS flush, or as an engine flush. I'll only use 1 quart added before oil change since I don't think it would be a good idea to use only ATF.

ATF is not as aggressive as a Engine Flush as most Engine Flush products are solvent based and come with directions to only run for a very short period of time and only at idle with no driving at ALL, then immediately drain the oil. You would be wasting the ATF to use it like a Engine Flush just before an oil change. It needs to be in the crankcase for a good while to start cleaning since is 10W oil with high detergent additives, not a solvent like most all Engine Oil Flushes.

Using 1 Quart ATF to 4 Quarts Engine Oil is similar/the same as using 1 Quart MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in your oil as part of a fresh fill during a oil change and both (either ATF or MMO) can be run the entire time between oil change intervals.

Note: On PS systems that can or do use ATF (check reservoir cap and/or Owner's Manual for PS fluid specifications as the wrong fluid can damage expensive pumps and rack & pinion/steering gear components), you will not get any extra ability, cleaning or benefit using ATF that is already in the PS system, other than getting dirty ATF out of the PS System.
--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

My PS uses ATF, though I'm not 100% sure if its type F or Dexron III/Mercon -- most likely the latter, but I don't it would matter that much in this particular application.

I looked up Dexron II, and it apparently contains jojoba oil that has a smoke point of 195C. Seems kinda low, though I'm not sure of the amount in the ATF.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to fartness

I havent even gotten past the first response to the original post and I'm in tears. I'm just LMMFAO right now! real or not, still funny.
--
| map your city |

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to fartness

Running distilled water through an engine is a very old method of cleaning the portions of the engine exposed to the combustion process, like the piston tops. It can work very well, but know that just a little too much too soon will turn a good engine into a boat anchor in a matter of seconds. Water does not compress.

Not sure I'd want to try the water deal with a Cat downstream though. The cleaning process sends a tremendous amount of soggy soot down the smoke pipe.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to fartness

Oh no!! I was told to run a cleaner on my computer. I washed it out with soap and water now it won't turn on.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to fartness

water was supposed o be injected via a ported vacum line to clean combustion chamber and valves....ported to keep volume down.

Trannie fluid shot down the carburetor engine running would also clear partially stuck valve.(pre cat)

I also resurrected a noisy 425 Olds Nailhead 425 by filling it with diesel fuel, turning it over twice a day for a week(NO RUN), pulling oil pan and cleaning out the chunks that had gotten to the bottom of engine. Lifter shut right up and pressure can back up. It smoked for a week or 2 but most of them nailheads did anyway.

Modern engines however do not suffer fools well.

Ignorance is bliss but its also expensive as hell.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Grumpy

said by Grumpy:

Running distilled water through an engine is a very old method of cleaning the portions of the engine exposed to the combustion process, like the piston tops. It can work very well, but know that just a little too much too soon will turn a good engine into a boat anchor in a matter of seconds. Water does not compress.

Not sure I'd want to try the water deal with a Cat downstream though. The cleaning process sends a tremendous amount of soggy soot down the smoke pipe.

Running Water Injection even full time doesn't produce water out the tailpipe, it makes steam. Now all functioning Catalytic Converters do produce water vapor. That may be what you are seeing.

TEST RESULTS USING WATER TO CLEAN CARBON OUT OF A Engine
»www.files.thinksitout.com/Alt_Fu···gine.pdf

Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection Systems. The Best Most Accurate Gas and Diesel Water Methanol Injection Strategies for Fuel Injected Carbureted Turbocharged Supercharged
»www.snowperformance.net/

Water Injection
»www.efficient-mileage.com/water-···ion.html
quote:
Water
Water absorbs six times the heat gasoline does when vaporized in a mixture. The water does not burn. It becomes steam. Only so much can be injected before it starts to quench the combustion. Too much water will put out the fire. If pure water is injected, then the quantity should be half of what would be injected if a 50/50 mix of alcohol and methanol were used.
Water injection (engines)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_inje···gines%29

WATER INJECTION WIZARDRY
»web.archive.org/web/201203042242···tem.aspx

Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection
»www.turbomirage.com/water.html

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPFZWd8wj4

--