spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itwong

join:2012-02-18
Sacramento, CA

[Speed] Blast speed drop to 15Mbps/11Mbps, any idea?

Click for full size
Attached is my stats from the ARRIS CM820A DOCSIS 3.0 modem

shoulin333

@comcast.net

I am in Galt, South of Sacramento and I am getting the same speeds right now!! UGH!!

rapperwith1p
Premium
join:2005-05-11
Merced, CA
reply to itwong

Try using the alternate dns server from the one you're using. I've had this problem for the past 2-3 days and switching dns servers has solved it each time.

What I mean about switching dns servers is I usually get the primary Comcast dns server of 75.75.75.75 so if the problem pops up I switch to 75.75.76.76 as my primary and stick to it until the problem rears its ugly head again and switch back to 75.75.75.75.

itwong

join:2012-02-18
Sacramento, CA
reply to itwong

Speed back to normal now.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

are you guys getting these crappy downstream bandwidth/capacity issues during prime-time hours? (all the while is your latency and upstream bandwidth unchanged)

Shoulin333

@comcast.net

Yep, exactly! Never had this problem before the "upgrade"

I'm pissed I rather have my 34mbit stable back, screw this 79 down to 11 down fluctuating.

Anyone talk to Comcast about this yet??

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

I have a premises tech coming out tomorrow between 4 and 6pm, with any luck he'll see the primetime downstream speed loss and refer me to Comcast's network engineers.

more than likely though, what will happen is everything will appear fine while he's here and I'll have to beg the technician to escalate the issue.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

said by bradyr:

I have a premises tech coming out tomorrow between 4 and 6pm, with any luck he'll see the primetime downstream speed loss and refer me to Comcast's network engineers.

FWIW, it wouldn't be escalated to "engineers". It would be escalated to line / maintenance techs.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

well whomever gets to work on or look at possible node capacity issues.. it's all good to me. I just hope I dont have to beg the premises tech to do the escalation.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

That is their duty if they can't find / fix an issue at the premises (which includes the drop cable from the pole / pedestal).

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

my main concern with this is if they don't see me having the downstream slowdown (some nights are worse than others, some nights have the problem later in the evening, like 8,9,10pm, etc). the problem happens daily but it varies because peoples internet habits vary day to day.

if comcast comes out and i'm getting 40Mbps out of 50, well thats no big deal. I want my connection to be like 10-20Mbps out of 50Mbps on a idle connection when the tech is here. have them actually SEE the issue real time, something to report.

I've dealt with capacity issues like this many times with DSL and i'm telling ya, it's a headache trying to prove the issue when it occurs out of "normal business hours". add to the fact mere peons like us are not able to communicate directly with someone who can look at the system while the problem is actively occuring at 8,9,10pm at night.

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
reply to itwong

As I have posted in a few threads about this now, I too, see the same behavior, especially on speed tests. The upload is fine but the download is all over depending on when. I have seen it act like the opposite of power boost too where half way through it will spike to around 50.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to itwong

FWIW, I am seeing the same behavior. As I recall, just about every time there has been a speed upgrade, we had to deal with a rocky ride for awhile until they finished all the tweaking, some upgrades worse than others. This one, for me, seems the worst.

I'll give it a little time, though.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

jeremiah2305

join:2013-03-21
Tacoma, WA

Wow maybe I should of read this thread before I posted in CC-Direct about this issue, because I though it was the modem but if everyone is having this it might work itself out in a day or two.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

Well, yes and no. It might work itself out and then again, with a little time and patience and some methodical troubleshooting, one might find "the problem is me."

In my situation, it just took time and trial to narrow it down to one wireless computer, a MacBook Pro, all the different test servers and the five different access points here via trial and error until I found the right combination. With a dual band router and a couple of different range extenders, one dual band, the other not, there were a number of choices.

What previously worked for the MBP does not work now since this computer has temporarily been relocated in the house. It liked connecting directly to the router via the 5GHz connection and now, apparently, although it still likes connecting directly to the router, it prefers the 2.4GHz band.

Who knew, particularly since we use the 2.4GHz band to connect the odds and ends of G devices?

So, yes, it might be good to give it a little time, both to give yourself a chance to figure out what needs to be changed on your end and, if not, then to give Comcast time to tweak their network. Once I discovered my desktop Windows 7, also wireless N, PC absolutely loves the new upgrades, I had to keep trying until I figured out the key.

I only get a reasonable result connecting just this one way, but it is very reasonable, 53/11 or more consistently.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .